C++ Builder users

2003-08-28 10:09:58 AM
cppbuilder59
Does anyone have an idea of approximately how many people are currently using C++ Builder. Does it pale in comparison to the number of Delphi users?

Re:C++ Builder users

Once I we had a debate on that and I remember that we estimated, on very
bold assumptions, that
there were between 10,000 and 60,000 *legal* users, if my memory hasn't been
flushed :)
There are people who will disagree with this. But the main point was brought
forward by Dave Held who said that the number of C++ Builder users could not
be
very high since Borland does not pay much attention to fixing the known
Builder's defects
This lack of interest can only reflect a poor sales performance of the
product.
Rodolfo

"Ira Weintraub" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schreef in bericht

Does anyone have an idea of approximately how many people are currently
using C++ Builder.
Does it pale in comparison to the number of Delphi users?
I don't care how many users there are if it fits my needs.Of course a
minimum number of users is necessary to keep the product alive, but Borland
recently made a kind of promise about that. For component writers ( and due
to that for users too ) it is also important. But with CLX that userbase is
shared with Delphi ( if you write you components in Delphi ).
Peter

{smallsort}

Re:C++ Builder users

"Rodolfo Frino" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Once I we had a debate on that and I remember that we estimated,
on very bold assumptions, that there were between 10,000 and
60,000 *legal* users, if my memory hasn't been flushed :)

There are people who will disagree with this. But the main point
was brought forward by Dave Held who said that the number of
C++ Builder users could not be very high since Borland does not
pay much attention to fixing the known Builder's defects
[...]
I was hardly the first to bring up this point. But it is probably true
that the number of BCB users is small compared to the number
of Delphi users. In all fairness, though, Borland has no
competition when it comes to Delphi compilers. That's proprietary
technology at its best.
Dave

Re:C++ Builder users

I was hardly the first to bring up this point.
yep.
But it is probably true
that the number of BCB users is small compared to the number
of Delphi users. In all fairness, though, Borland has no
competition when it comes to Delphi compilers. That's proprietary
technology at its best.
When we compare the two languages, it's strange that there are more Delphi
users than BCB users
Delphi is an aweful language, it is ugly from top to botom, just look how
messy are all those
begin...ends blocks, it makes the code so hard to read...and it is not that
I am not used to it, since I
use to write also Pascal in the glorious MS-DOS days. But Pascal was created
to teach
structured programming. It wasn't an industrial programming language, except
for a very
few companies that developed serious compilers.
Then one day, C came along and it rocked the world. The realm of C was
exiting, except of course
for the lack of a String type such as the one in Pascal. C was the King for
a few years until a new monster
surfaced from the Stroustrup's brain, just a kind of Modula 2 soup but one
with more taste.
Then Borland rushed to hospital and decided to inject some OOP juice into
Pascal and OO Pascal was born.
The parents did not know how to name it. For a while there was confusion, as
much as the language itselt,
OO Pascal or Delphi, how do we call our new baby? It was a huge
international debate and in the
end the the baby was renamed as Delphi. The baby had now a better identity
based on the denial
of his ancestor's name.
And the years went by and the baby grew and grew and it became a powerful
{*word*249}ager with a horrible syntax,
which will stay with him for the rest of his life. :-)
Rodolfo