Re: Has Borland finally gone mad, or are they just trying to lossallC++ programmers so they don't have to support CBuilder?

2003-10-20 09:10:42 PM
cppbuilder17
Randall Parker wrote:

Jeff,

I do not expect to see in the next 20 years a Microsoft OS that does not
support Win32 APIs. Look at the history of operating systems. OS vendors
rarely abandon APIs. They just add new ones.

MS has clearly stated that .NET will be the native API in longhorn, not Win32.
They have also clearly stated that the Win32 API will be depreciated and not all
new API will appear there, but it will in .NET. You can choose to not believe
MS, but most people who make their living on an OS listen to the OS developer
about the future of that OS.
As for the idea of Win32 APIs being built in the future on top of .NET
APIs: I doubt that as well.
See Longhorn. The next OS is being touted as exactly that. Win32 will run in
compatibility mode with .NET being native. The reverse of today.
It is probably less work to maintain the
current implementations of many of the Win32 calls than to rewrite them
to be on top of the .NET calls.

All you have to do is watch and listen to what MS is saying on this to see that
your conclusion is the exact opposite of what MS has been saying for over a year
they intend to do.
--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
If there is somebody up there could they throw me down a line. Just a

Re:Re: Has Borland finally gone mad, or are they just trying to lossallC++ programmers so they don't have to support CBuilder?

Harold Howe [TeamB] wrote:

Have you used eclipse to do C++ work?

Yes. Had no problems. To add to what mr_organic said, feels strange
saying that :-), it has an integrated diff tool (CB5 does not) but no
code insight as far as I can tell. I still need to get around to
configuring the de{*word*81} though. All in all, quite a nice solution.
Cheers
Dean

Re:Re: Has Borland finally gone mad, or are they just trying to lossallC++ programmers so they don't have to support CBuilder?

Dennis Landi wrote:

Yes, everything above is the truth, as I see it as well. I am asking that
they do more. A Borland without native compilers might as well change its
name back to Inprise....
You do know that .NET IL code is natively run right? It is not interpreted.
Danny Thorpe has repeatably stated this over in the Delphi non tech group. As
it is there doesn't seem to be a great rush within Borland to get rid of the
Win32 compiler (although there does seem to be a rush by many newsgroup
participants to claim Borland is doing this without facts to back it up).
--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
If there is somebody up there could they throw me down a line. Just a
little helping hand just a little understanding. Just some answers to the
questions that surround me now. If there's somebody up there could
they throw me down a line. (Fish)

{smallsort}