Q: 2-way form designer

2003-11-17 02:57:19 AM
cppbuilder22
Can someone clear my confusion?
I see here and there one refer to Borland's (Delphi or BCB) form designer as 2-way one.
Probably, I missed something but I used it more than 1 day and still did not noticed 2nd way.
In Clarion (yet for DOS) I changed some form, and IDE changed the code correspondingly,
or I changed/wrote code and the form changed correspondigly. That was 2-way.
While in Borland's IDE, change or not I the forms' code, form would not be changed. So what
do you mean by 2-way?
(it's serious question, no irony, or critisism is meant)

Re:Q: 2-way form designer

Andrew Rybenkov wrote:
Can someone clear my confusion?

I see here and there one refer to Borland's (Delphi or BCB) form designer as 2-way one.
Probably, I missed something but I used it more than 1 day and still did not noticed 2nd way.
The form is described in its .DFM file. Changing the form changes the
DFM file, changing the DFM file will change the form. Hint: try Alt-F12
while viewing the form.
HTH,
Micha.

Re:Q: 2-way form designer

The form is described in its .DFM file. Changing the form changes the
DFM file, changing the DFM file will change the form. Hint: try Alt-F12
while viewing the form.
Well, DFM - it is not a code, - it's just another presentation of the form. By 2-way I mean if I change
in form's declaration
TPanel somePanel
for
TBevel somePanel
I would see it on the form immediately. But it does not happen (at least in Delphi).
(is Alt-F12 means "view form as text"? - if so then you change the form (not code) just by
other means)

{smallsort}

Re:Q: 2-way form designer

"Andrew Rybenkov" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Well, DFM - it is not a code, - it's just another presentation of the
form. By 2-way I mean if I change in form's declaration

TPanel somePanel
for
TBevel somePanel

I would see it on the form immediately. But it does not happen (at least
in Delphi).
If you change the header file declarations directly, then you have to change
the DFM as well to match, and vice versa. The IDE does not synch them
automatically for you when making such changes.
Gambit

Re:Q: 2-way form designer

A good way to see the 2-way in action is to use an external editor.
First load the current versions of .h/.cpp files for some form into an
external editor. Make design changes in BCB that change captions,
sizing, number of controls, etc. Don't compile or save them from BCB.
Then make neutral changes in the external editor (like insert spaces
just so the external editor thinks it has changes to save) and then save
them from the external editor. Then switch to BCB and load those files
whne it prompts you to load them. You will see lots of changes erased
from the visual designer view when you do that.
Since I use an external editor (Visual Slick Edit - which is great btw)
I have to be careful about not doing visual design changes on something
I'm also doing editing changes on with VSE.
I don't know exactly which changes track with the source code changes
made externally. I know some do. I can get rid of whole controls for
instance. Not sure if I can add them externally.

--
Andrew Rybenkov.