Re: The Open Letter Day Arrived --- and went...

2004-05-20 08:37:46 PM
cppbuilder31

Re:Re: The Open Letter Day Arrived --- and went...

I must be missing messages somewhere along the line since a lot of new posts
are all begin "Re: " and I don't have the previous messages they were
replying to. Then again I am using LookOut Express.
G.

Graham Reeds wrote:
I must be missing messages somewhere along the line since a lot of new posts
are all begin "Re: " and I don't have the previous messages they were
replying to. Then again I am using LookOut Express.

G.

Adam changed the subject of this thread, maybe OE doesn't hook them up
too well if the subject changes. I'm using Thunderbird 0.6 and it seems
to do a pretty good job (used to use OE).
Cheers
Russell

{smallsort}

On Thu, 20 May 2004 14:40:51 +0100, Graham Reeds wrote:
I must be missing messages somewhere along the line since a lot of new posts
are all begin "Re: " and I don't have the previous messages they were
replying to. Then again I am using LookOut Express.
I'm getting that as well but in my case I know that the company firewall
sometimes blocks messages. Unfortunately it also never bothers to say why.
--
Andrue Cope
[Bicester UK]

Graham Reeds wrote:
I must be missing messages somewhere along the line since a lot of new
posts
are all begin "Re: " and I don't have the previous messages they were
replying to. Then again I am using LookOut Express.
I'm using OE and it seems to be working ok...
Have you been changing the dates on your PC at all? Whenever I change dates
with OE running, OE 'retires' a whole stack of posts. Then I get the 'RE's'
like you're describing.
--
Vesty.

Re:Re: The Open Letter Day Arrived --- and went...

There is also a checkbox which says to delete messages after X days of being
downloaded. I uncheck that.
-Mike

On Thu, 20 May 2004 10:18:20 -0400, Adam Versteegen wrote:
Have you been changing the dates on your PC at all? Whenever I change dates
with OE running, OE 'retires' a whole stack of posts. Then I get the 'RE's'
like you're describing.
Lol, he might not see your response. I did which makes it all rather odd -
unless it's that blasted firewall again. OTOH when a message gets dropped
for me it's usually accompanied by a timeout from the reader because the
firewall just drops everything and leaves the reader waiting for an ack
that never arrives.
--
Andrue Cope
[Bicester UK]

Graham Reeds wrote:
I must be missing messages somewhere along the line since a lot
of new posts are all begin "Re: " and I don't have the previous
messages they were replying to. Then again I am using LookOut
Express.
With all the newsreader recommendations that followed this - I just
have to plug XanaNews. It's free, open source, and written with a
Borland product.
www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm
Click the XanaNews link under the Demo Programs header.
-Brion

Graham Reeds wrote:
With all the newsreader recommendations that followed this - I just
have to plug XanaNews. It's free, open source, and written with a
Borland product.

www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

Click the XanaNews link under the Demo Programs header.

-Brion
I just downloaded it and tried it. Nice! I like the organization much
better than OE.
-Michael

Michael Gillen wrote:
>www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm
>
>Click the XanaNews link under the Demo Programs header.

I just downloaded it and tried it. Nice! I like the organization
much better than OE.
You might want to look at the forums.talkto.net server,
specifically xananews.support and/or xananews.wishlist. Colin's
very responsive about features/bug fixes. You might also be
surprised by the number of "TeamB" folks who appear there too.
-Brion

Brion L. Webster wrote:
With all the newsreader recommendations that followed this - I just
have to plug XanaNews. It's free, open source, and written with a
Borland product.
It's indeed excellent, and constantly undergoing improvements. I
wholeheartedly second that recommendation (well, just look at the
User-agent part of the header in my posts <g>).
--
Ken
planeta.terra.com.br/educacao/kencamargo/

Kenneth de Camargo wrote:
It's indeed excellent, and constantly undergoing improvements. I
wholeheartedly second that recommendation (well, just look at the
User-agent part of the header in my posts <g>).
MY main complaint is that it implements just about every clever feature
I wanted from a newsreader but couldn't find, so has totally destroyed
my motivation to write my own!
Oh, and adds many more useful features that I really wish I had though
of too. Jealousy is a terrible thing ;? )
AlisdairM (TeamB)

Alisdair Meredith wrote:
MY main complaint is that it implements just about every clever
feature I wanted from a newsreader but couldn't find, so has totally
destroyed my motivation to write my own!
<G>
Oh, and adds many more useful features that I really wish I had though
of too. Jealousy is a terrible thing ;? )
If you feel like you need a creative challenge, there's one for you:
create a killer IDE, with GUI RAD capabilities, based on C++, with all
kinds of extra features...
<g,d&r>