Re: Why Builder and Kylix was discontinued

"El Lobo" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Oh, and Linux is better supporting what..modems?
Bwaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha
You're right. Linux doesn't support win-modems, as they're
lobotomized. Though they're trying, it's a losing proposition. (see
www.linmodems.org)
For any kind of serious machine, you wouldn't use a winmodem anyway,
since it wastes CPU cycles. For a server, that's unacceptible. And
you find linux on more servers than desktops anyway.
It's easy enough to find a real modem that works with linux. (I have
no problems with either DSL nor cable-modems on linux...)
--
Chris (TeamB);

Re:Re: Why Builder and Kylix was discontinued

"El Lobo" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Definitly, no fear here. There is ZERO chances that my mother will
EVER change Windows to tweak in Linux etc directory. And as my
mothere there MILLIONS and BILLIONS of old people, non technical
people etc who NEVER will do that. So no fear here. Sorry
My mom's extremely eager to get rid of windows. She's tired of paying
for anti-virus software and dealing with quarentines, windows updages,
email/browser/other glitches that cause her to lose control.
I don't expect her to configure it. Once installed and working, there
isn't really any configuration necessary until you want to change
something.
--

Chris Uzdavinis (TeamB) wrote:

My mom's extremely eager to get rid of windows. She's tired of paying
for anti-virus software and dealing with quarentines, windows updages,
email/browser/other glitches that cause her to lose control.
But Linux doesn't provide all she needs ?
Micha

{smallsort}

Micha Nelissen < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
But Linux doesn't provide all she needs ?
It does, and as soon as she stops driving around the country visiting
everything, it'll be installed. :)
--
Chris (TeamB);

Re:Re: Why Builder and Kylix was discontinued

"El Lobo" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
New kernel broke my nic module
Subject: Re: Recompiling kernel broke a lot of module dependencies. What did
I do wrong?
Let's see, if you upgrade KERNELS then you find it surprising that
some modules for the previous kernel might need updating to work with
the new kernel?
Upgraded kernel, broke X
I guess anything is possible.
new kernel broke my scsi cdburner

Should I go on?
No. I don't think random samples of problems is indicative of
anything. It could certainly be user-error. It could be a real
problem, too. But if you're upgrading kernels, you are choosing to be
on the cutting edge. That means sometimes you get cut. No surprises
there. What's the point?
--

El Lobo wrote:
>At least with Linux I get support. Those ISDN modems work on Linux and
>W2kSP3 but the Microsoft answer for SP4 - change the modem - S0 YES ....

Something similer to this:
SNIP
Yep just the same as Windows, but at least the bugs do actually get fixed :)
Now that all the development machines are on Eclipse and Open Office I
can ditch W2k and switch to Linux - I have a lot less bother with the
Linux machines. If the next upgrade goes through fifty Builder5 customer
sites will become Linux and there is even less need for me to bother
with the Builder6 copy ;)
--
Lester Caine
-----------------------------

"Chris Uzdavinis (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
That means sometimes you get cut. No surprises
there. What's the point?

--
Chris (TeamB);
Exactly, the same point that other have when they say that upgrading 2k to
SP4 broke some modem connection. No point there either

Re:Re: Why Builder and Kylix was discontinued

"El Lobo" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Exactly, the same point that other have when they say that upgrading 2k to
SP4 broke some modem connection. No point there either
I think that the point is just that software is written by humans and
is subject to failures. I'm not surprised to find bugs in anything.
But linux has been rock-solid for me for years now. Windows, OTOH,
has trouble staying up for even a few days of use. It usually blue
screens once a day or so. It blue-screened on my wife using Quicken
just the other day.
--
Chris (TeamB);

Re:Re: Why Builder and Kylix was discontinued

Yes, I am with Windows for the same reason. Believe it or not but I wiped
out my last Suse because I couldn't work one hour without some kernel panic
comming out of nowhere. XP is running solid as a rock on the same machine
for 1 year now. So I guess that an OS experience is a subjective thing. BTW
ther is an OS I really like a lot BeOS (even in the last OSource
incarnation), it is really elegant designed from the ground up with the
final user in mind, even if it is based on some sort of unix. The same thing
can be said about OsX on the mac. They are (or were, in BEOS case) the REAL
threat to Windows , if Apple release an Intel version someday. But no Linux,
no and no so long the normal users are in the need of poking in inhi files
to configure X or to get sendmail to work, or to recompile the kernel to get
some new USB driver to work, or to use rpm with 45 switches to install some
app, or to write
cd /usr/lib
ln -s libssl.so.0.9.7 libssl.so.0
ln -s libcrypto.so.0.9.7 libcrypto.so.0
urpmi pine
to install pine with all its dependences (talk about dll hell)...
"Chris Uzdavinis (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
"El Lobo" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:

>Exactly, the same point that other have when they say that upgrading 2k
>SP4 broke some modem connection. No point there either

Re:Re: Why Builder and Kylix was discontinued

so, are you trying to tell me your mum works for uSoft?
or is this a "bait -n- switch" exercise?
In case you haven't noticed, respectable competition keeps companies from
becoming complacent.
therefore, it's a good thing that there are choices, maybe better, maybe not
to uSoft. Also, since they are the biggest software vendor on Earth, I think
it
wise to remember the tactics employed to achieve that position.
ask DEC, Apple, Netscape, IBM.... etc. (the list is long)
"El Lobo" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

"Stephan" <ask me @ kilroy.wuz.here>wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Really?
>then why, oh why would they legally pursue a company in legal court
>all over the world that was selling a Desktop Linux?

Definitly, no fear here. There is ZERO chances that my mother will EVER
change Windows to tweak in Linux etc directory. And as my mothere there
MILLIONS and BILLIONS of old people, non technical people etc who NEVER
will
do that. So no fear here. Sorry

Re:Re: Why Builder and Kylix was discontinued

"Stephan" <ask me @ kilroy.wuz.here>wrote in message
so, are you trying to tell me your mum works for uSoft?
I don't work for anybody
or is this a "bait -n- switch" exercise?

In case you haven't noticed, respectable competition keeps companies from
becoming complacent.
Of course, bring on decent companies working {*word*156} software and no whining
. Adobe Photoshop is indudably the best graphic app out there. No mather how
MS and otheres try, it is the best. They work hard and well. The product
talks for it self. Netscape died in the competition. They where
conservatives, didn't dare to evolve, etc. Good bye. It's the law of the
marked. Now mozilla is taking points from Explorer, very well, MSExplorer
MUST evolve or die. It's the law of the market.
wise to remember the tactics employed to achieve that position.
ask DEC, Apple, Netscape, IBM.... etc. (the list is long)

Look who you are talking about (APPLE, who even killed the companies that
produced the Macintosh clones in the 90s, IBM, who are not remotelly known
as a "gentlemen company") precicelly. Good you don't even mentioned the Java
zealots of Sun and company.
And I must add that even if I recogn that Windows in it's last incarnations
is a very stable and good OS, my favorite OS is the late BeOS, so I'm really
not a Windows advocate, but, comparing Windows to OsX, BeOS, heck, even OS/2
Warp I can understand, but LINUX? In the server maybe, but for the desktop,
no and thousand times no. Sorry.

Re:Re: Why Builder and Kylix was discontinued

I think it's largely paranoid fantasy.
Kylix was discontinued because it's in the same Borland
family as CBX and C#B - a horribly designed and
half-implemented piece of {*word*99} that no one wants.
As for BCB, I can only guess that sales are below
the level for active product maintenance.

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 11:16:10 -0400, Stephan wrote:
Really?
then why, oh why would they legally pursue a company in legal court
all over the world that was selling a Desktop Linux?
Don't forget the anti-Linux campaign Microsoft recently released called
"Get the Facts". If Linux isn't a threat to Microsoft, as some claim, why
the heck are Microsoft putting resources into making campaigns against it?!

Re:Re: Why Builder and Kylix was discontinued

All I want to see is for the antitrust laws to be applied and for the O/S
and applications side of Microsoft to be split off into separate ownership.
Then Microsoft will have plenty of opportunity to prove how good their
operating systems really are without being propped up by the applications
market.

"Thomas Edison" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Don't forget the anti-Linux campaign Microsoft recently released called
"Get the Facts". If Linux isn't a threat to Microsoft, as some claim, why
the heck are Microsoft putting resources into making campaigns against
it?!
Don't forget the constant Anti-MS campaign that you get in the usenet, in
the "technical" magazines with all the pseudo-tests that pretend to give us
facts, etc. Why so much hype? Live and let live!