command line size limitations

Anyone knows where I can find out more about command line limitations
on the Windows platform. Ihave googled - just didn't find any good
information.
I want to send 10000 characters or more using the command line... is
this possible ?
Thanks!
-nets

Re:command line size limitations

"nets" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I want to send 10000 characters or more using the command line...
That is a lot of data to pass. Why do you want to pass so much? There are
many other ways to pass data around. What exactly are you trying to
accomplish in the first place?
Gambit

nets wrote:
Anyone knows where I can find out more about command line limitations
on the Windows platform. Ihave googled - just didn't find any good
information.

I want to send 10000 characters or more using the command line... is
this possible ?
Command line is limited to 512 characters, if I recall well.

{smallsort}

Re:command line size limitations

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:05:45 -0800, "Remy Lebeau \(TeamB\)"
>I want to send 10000 characters or more using the command line...

That is a lot of data to pass. Why do you want to pass so much? There are
many other ways to pass data around. What exactly are you trying to
accomplish in the first place?
Oh... just interfacing a tool that takes lots of files as
parameters... a linker. Think 100 files w. full paths... could easily
be 10000 characters.
Depending on which linker I'm using, I could potentially use a link
control file. However, not always possible.
-nets

Re:command line size limitations

Oh... just interfacing a tool that takes lots of files as
parameters... a linker. Think 100 files w. full paths... could easily
be 10000 characters.

Depending on which linker I'm using, I could potentially use a link
control file. However, not always possible.
When you use CreateProcess to start the linker you will have a 32k limit.
Eelke

Re:command line size limitations

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:13:00 +0100, Eelke < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
>Depending on which linker I'm using, I could potentially use a link
>control file. However, not always possible.
When you use CreateProcess to start the linker you will have a 32k limit.
Ah.. thanks! I'll just check the CreateProcess documentation for
possible limitations. Thanks!
-nets

Re:command line size limitations

"nets" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Oh... just interfacing a tool that takes lots of files as
parameters... a linker. Think 100 files w. full paths...
could easily be 10000 characters.
That is what makefiles are for. You put the list of filenames into a single
file, and then pass just that filename to the linker. The linker opens the
file and reads the filenames from it.
Depending on which linker I'm using, I could potentially use
a link control file. However, not always possible.
Why not?
Gambit

Re:command line size limitations

Place this in a build file and let your program use this file.

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Oh... just interfacing a tool that takes lots of files as
>parameters... a linker. Think 100 files w. full paths...
>could easily be 10000 characters.

That is what makefiles are for. You put the list of filenames into a single
file, and then pass just that filename to the linker. The linker opens the
file and reads the filenames from it.
That is not a makefile. A makefile is meant to be used by the MAKE
utility.
[snip]
--
Oscar

On 12/10/04, OBones said:
Command line is limited to 512 characters, if I recall well.
My recollection suggests a lower limit than 512, but whatever the
number, there is a limit, and it is definitely not huge.
--
Bill
--------

Re:command line size limitations

Most linkers will let you specify a text file containing a list of files
to link.

William Meyer wrote:
On 12/10/04, OBones said:

>Command line is limited to 512 characters, if I recall well.

My recollection suggests a lower limit than 512, but whatever the
number, there is a limit, and it is definitely not huge.
Might well be 256, but definitely bigger than 128.
Anyway, really low compared to the 1024 I get on my Linux system.

"Oscar Fuentes" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
That is not a makefile. A makefile is meant to be used by
the MAKE utility.
A makefile in general is a file containing dependancy information and
compiler options used to produce a final result. It is not specific to the
MAKE utility only.
Gambit

Re:command line size limitations

"Remy Lebeau \(TeamB\)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
"Oscar Fuentes" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>That is not a makefile. A makefile is meant to be used by
>the MAKE utility.

A makefile in general is a file containing dependancy information
and compiler options used to produce a final result. It is not
specific to the MAKE utility only.
Maybe it is so on your town. Not certainly on mine. A makefile
(please note the *make* prefix) is to be used with MAKE. Maybe some
people generalized the term to include other *build* *systems*, but
by your definition, by creating a .bat with this line we have a
makefile:
bcc32.exe hello.cpp -ehello.exe
Really, this insistence on throwing random words at everything and,
when corrected, replying "this is what means for me", is not good for
the mutual understanding.
--
Oscar

Re:command line size limitations

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:36:10 -0800, "Remy Lebeau \(TeamB\)"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>Oh... just interfacing a tool that takes lots of files as
>parameters... a linker. Think 100 files w. full paths...
>could easily be 10000 characters.

That is what makefiles are for. You put the list of filenames into a single
file, and then pass just that filename to the linker. The linker opens the
file and reads the filenames from it.
Actually - I'm generating a Makefile for GNU make.
>Depending on which linker I'm using, I could potentially use
>a link control file. However, not always possible.

Why not?
Depends on the linker - if it supports or not ;-)
(I know of linkers that do not suppor link control files)
Thanks!
-sten