Release or Debug, right or wrong

2005-05-02 02:48:53 AM
cppbuilder60
Normally when installing a third party package I don't look if the Debug or
Release compiler settings are used to generate the .bpl file and the runtime
.bpi file.
But...
in the end it should influence the size of exe if I link those third party
runtime packages, like would it be much of a difference for the matter of
size if I link the runtime packages that have release versions, not debug
ones? I surely think yes. And what do you think about it?
Just finding another way to "make it smaller" =)

Re:Release or Debug, right or wrong

"Danila Vershinin" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Normally when installing a third party package I don't look if
the Debug or Release compiler settings are used to generate the
.bpl file and the runtime .bpi file.
But...
in the end it should influence the size of exe if I link those
third party runtime packages, like would it be much of a
difference for the matter of size if I link the runtime
packages that have release versions, not debug ones? I surely
think yes. And what do you think about it?

Just finding another way to "make it smaller" =)
There will be very little size difference. The debugging symbol
information is the *.TDS file, not the EXE. In some cases, the
release version EXE may actually be bigger than the debug version
due to function inlining and certain optimizations.
- Arnie

Re:Release or Debug, right or wrong

I am talking not about the release version of .exe, u know...
I mean if I link RELEASE VERSIONS of third party packages into it )

{smallsort}

Danila Vershinin wrote:
I am talking not about the release version of .exe, u know...
I mean if I link RELEASE VERSIONS of third party packages into it )
Arnie is right, the release version's size is about the same as that of
the debug version. The debug information is not stored in the package,
it's stored in a separate TDS file, which you don't ship anyway. The
release version may be a little bit faster, though, and you should
always test your application with the version you are shipping.
Sometimes the debug version works perfectly, but the release crashes.
Tom

"Tamas Demjen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Danila Vershinin wrote:
>I am talking not about the release version of .exe, u know...
>I mean if I link RELEASE VERSIONS of third party packages into it )

Arnie is right, the release version's size is about the same as that of
the debug version. The debug information is not stored in the package,
it's stored in a separate TDS file, which you don't ship anyway. The
release version may be a little bit faster, though, and you should
always test your application with the version you are shipping.
Sometimes the debug version works perfectly, but the release crashes.
Our release builds are substantially larger than our debug builds.
Go figure. It's mostly due to inlining functions and stuff that doesn't
happen in the debug build.

"Duane Hebert" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Our release builds are substantially larger than our debug builds.
Go figure. It's mostly due to inlining functions and stuff that doesn't
happen in the debug build.
ok then =)