C++ Builder 2006 C99 Support

Does C++ Builder have C99 support? I read somewhere that it would, but I
see no mention of it in the marketing docs.
Thanks,
dick

Re:C++ Builder 2006 C99 Support

Richard Myers wrote:

Does C++ Builder have C99 support? I read somewhere that it would, but I
see no mention of it in the marketing docs.

Thanks,

dick

No, C99 is not supported by BCB.
.a

Re:C++ Builder 2006 C99 Support

No, C99 is not supported by BCB.

Pity

{smallsort}

Re:C++ Builder 2006 C99 Support

The bad thing with C99 it's that the comitee extended C89 with incompatible
features with C++.
So now we have: old-C, C89, C99, C++, BCB/C++, MS-VC++ (including 6.0),
MS-C#, MS-Managed/unamanaged-C++, C++/CLI.
IMHO: Too many 'standards', no more to say, I need to work (not to learn new
fancy standards).
It's a big job not only building/upgrading the compiler, the RTL needs to be
'tuned' for differents compileres and plataforms.
Saludos
Sebastian
"Jennifer-Ashley" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escribi?en el mensaje

Sebastian Ledesma [Solidyne Labs] wrote:
The bad thing with C99 it's that the comitee extended C89 with incompatible
features with C++.
So now we have: old-C, C89, C99, C++, BCB/C++, MS-VC++ (including 6.0),
MS-C#, MS-Managed/unamanaged-C++, C++/CLI.
C99 supercedes old-C, which never had a standard, and C89, which was the
first standardized version of C.
BCB/C++ and MS-VC++ use __ extensions as allowed by the C++ standard,
but seek to follow the C++ standard otherwise.
C# is its own computer language with its own standard, is not C++ and
was never meant to be.
Managed C++ is akin to BCB/C++ or MS-VC++ with more abundant __
extensions, and sought to follow the C++ standard. It has been
superceded by C++/CLI.
C++/CLI is its own computer language with its own standard, for the most
part very closely related to C++. Outside of its non-keyword extensions
to C++, its own standard closely follows the C++ standard, and with its
non-keyword extensions it follows its own standard.
Essentially among all your choices there are 4 standards for 4 different
languages, C, C++, C#, and C++/CLI. The third is not really related to
the other three, and should not have been brought up when discussing
C/C++ standards. Its misnomer is probably because Microsoft wanted to
attract C++ programmers and, because of their legal problems with Sun,
did not want to call it Java#, as an example, although it is much closer
to Java then C++.

news:43c63ab6$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>>No, C99 is not supported by BCB.
>>

>Pity

Re:C++ Builder 2006 C99 Support

It appears as though BuilderX supported C99 through the Dinkumware
libraries, which are supposedly 100% ansi and C99 compliant. Why would they
remove it?
dick
"Alex Bakaev [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Richard Myers wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Does C++ Builder have C99 support? I read somewhere that it would, but I
>see no mention of it in the marketing docs.
>
>Thanks,
>
>dick

No, C99 is not supported by BCB.

.a

Re:C++ Builder 2006 C99 Support

Well, dont' know if that was true, but the BuilderX compiler and the BCB2006
compiler are two totally different products. It's not that they removed it
from BCB2006, they never "added" it to the compiler it is based on, wich is
the 5.x line. BCBX was a new compiler 6.x.
--
Rodrigo Gómez
www.rodrigogomez.com.mx/gallery/

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Rodrigo Gómez wrote:
Well, dont' know if that was true, but the BuilderX compiler and the BCB2006
compiler are two totally different products. It's not that they removed it
from BCB2006, they never "added" it to the compiler it is based on, wich is
the 5.x line. BCBX was a new compiler 6.x.

Not quite. CBX had a preview compiler based on EDG front-end. Main CBX
compiler was still the same as in BCB6 (plus some fixes, I suppose).
.a

"Richard Myers" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
It appears as though BuilderX supported C99 through the Dinkumware
libraries, which are supposedly 100% ansi and C99 compliant. Why
would they remove it?
In addition to library support, C99 also requires
compiler/preprocessor support.
For example: macros with variable number of arguments require a change
to the preprocessor. Support for "long long" must be built into
the compiler (though Borland does have __int64) and so on.
--
Chris (TeamB);

Re:C++ Builder 2006 C99 Support

Uh... well... I have to confess that I haven't fully understand what's the
"front-end" and so on. Haven't searched for much info on this.
What you're saying is: some part of the compiler was new, based on the EDG
front-end, but parts of the compiler were still version 5? Or they shipped
two different compilers, one based on the 5.x line and the new one, 6.x,
based on the EDG front-end? Don't remember if this was the case.
Regards,
--
"Alex Bakaev [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escribi?en el mensaje

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Rodrigo Gómez" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
What you're saying is: some part of the compiler was new, based on the EDG
front-end, but parts of the compiler were still version 5? Or they shipped
two different compilers, one based on the 5.x line and the new one, 6.x,
based on the EDG front-end? Don't remember if this was the case.
The latter, they shipped multiple compilers.
--
-David

Re:C++ Builder 2006 C99 Support

Rodrigo Gómez < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Uh... well... I have to confess that I haven't fully understand what's the
"front-end" and so on. Haven't searched for much info on this.
A compiler has a front-end. That's the code that parses
what you've written and so nastily barks at you when you
forget a semicolon. It generates an intermediate format
(often called a "parse tree", since it has a tree-like
structure). That intermediate format is usually further
modified before it's fed into the compiler's back-end,
which emits a program in the target language. For C++
usually the target language is the machine language of
the target machine. (However, some compilers -- notably
Comeau -- emit C code which then needs to get translated
into machine code by some C compiler. And I suppose VC
emits IL when you compile C++ code for .NET.)
What you're saying is: some part of the compiler was new, based on the EDG
front-end, but parts of the compiler were still version 5? Or they shipped
two different compilers, one based on the 5.x line and the new one, 6.x,
based on the EDG front-end? Don't remember if this was the case.
What he was saying was, that CBX was released with a
compiler of the 5.6.x flavour. There was, however, a
preview compiler which used the EDG front-end and the
Dinkumware library. I supposed this would have supported
C99, as both EDG and Dinkumware do so.
But that's moot, because CBX was stillborn and it seems
EDG's front-end isn't used anymore for BDS' C++ compiler.
(IMO most likely because it doesn't support any of the
VCL extensions.) A library alone won't help getting full
C99 support because there's changes between C89 and C99
which require the compiler to change, too.
Regards,
[...]
Schobi
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers dot org

Re:C++ Builder 2006 C99 Support

Hello Schobi,
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Now it's pretty clear to me.
Regards,