Re: BDS 2006 Problems?

2006-03-24 02:04:10 AM
cppbuilder51
Derek, my friend! Do you have the enterprise version? If so, can you try
something for me?
1. Create a new intraweb application using the C++ personality. Pick
"service application" from the wizard.
2. Save the project and hit F9.
Do you see "the evaluation edition cannot be installed as a service" in the
de{*word*81}??
"Derek" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

>By the way...am I one of the few Borland C++ guys left?

Well, I'm still out here, after 20+ years of using Borland products, but I
certainly share your exhaustion. On the plus side, the new IDE is kinda
growing on me, and I think there is a lot of potential for the product. I
think I expected more "out-of-box" quality from this upgrade. I've had too
many lock ups, too many linking problems, a lot of quirkiness. And the
Help...let's not even go there. Given the price (reasonable, but not
cheap) and the push back in release date, I figured a lot the little stuff
would have been worked out.

But I persevere. I've spent much more time getting things figured out than
I should have, but things are decent. I'm eagerly awaiting the next patch.

It did dawn on me a few weeks ago that I do have a full Delphi environment
now, so I did go buy a Delphi book so I could get into some of the more
sophisticated areas of the language. I, too, wonder sometimes if that path
might not be a bad alternative....

Re:Re: BDS 2006 Problems?

I have the lowly professional version, and I'm not an IntraWeb guy, but
I tried your scenario and got:
Project Project1.exe raised exception class Exception with message
"Installation as a service is not supported in the evaluation edition.".
from the de{*word*81}.
Johnny Smith wrote:
Derek, my friend! Do you have the enterprise version? If so, can you try
something for me?

1. Create a new intraweb application using the C++ personality. Pick
"service application" from the wizard.

2. Save the project and hit F9.

Do you see "the evaluation edition cannot be installed as a service" in the
de{*word*81}??

Re:Re: BDS 2006 Problems?

Hmm...I don't recall what version came with the pro edition...I'm thinking
just "page mode" was it, but I don't think that eval message should come up
even if.....in the feature matrix it lists support for IW even in the pro
edition.
I guess perhaps all the factory CD's are hosed....nice....
I'm really surprised nobody has noticed? Maybe you and I really are the
only two C++ guys left?

Johnny Smith wrote:
>Derek, my friend! Do you have the enterprise version? If so, can you
>try something for me?
>
>1. Create a new intraweb application using the C++ personality. Pick
>"service application" from the wizard.
>
>2. Save the project and hit F9.
>
>Do you see "the evaluation edition cannot be installed as a service" in
>the de{*word*81}??

{smallsort}

Re:Re: BDS 2006 Problems?

Just an update....it's been 5 days and no response from Borland until today.
I created a new "{*word*193}" install case and finally got someone to respond. I
am still "dead in the water" and cannot even compile an intraweb application
without errors now.....the AtoZed folks had me download the latest version
and guess what....it's missing some files...niiiiiccceee!
I should have been a bricklayer like the test in high school said.....;-(
"Johnny Smith" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I recently upgraded to BCB 2006 Enterprise (against my better judgement).
I had problems registering it (the reg server went down...nice!).

Afterwards, I created a new Intraweb service app using the wizard and ran
it using F9.

An exception popped up saying "installation as a service is not supported
in the evaluation edition". Also, the port number for standalone Intraweb
apps is at random...just like the eval version.

What's up with this? I thought Enterprise BDS included the full version
of intraweb?

This was a new PC that never had any dev tools on it, including
Intraweb.....