Win2000 DCOM and Service Control Manager on PC Startup

2006-01-10 12:04:56 AM
cppbuilder42
Hi all, hope you all had a great holiday and a peaceful New Year.
And I REALLY hope the rest of the year is productive.
Anyhow, in Win XP there is a service called "DcomLaunch" that more or
less 'Provides Launch functionality for DCOM services'
But in Win2000 there is no such service. How, can I tell that DCOM is up
and running when launching an application as a service. That is my
Service A is launching Service B, but Service A must know that DCOM is
up since Service B is using DCOM.
In this case I add a Dependency to Service A (or B) to launch AFTER the
'DcomLaunch' service is running, but in 2000 I dont know where to start.
Thanks for any help.

Re:Win2000 DCOM and Service Control Manager on PC Startup

"Colin B Maharaj" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
my Service A is launching Service B, but Service A must know
that DCOM is up since Service B is using DCOM.
Why, exactly, does Service A need to know whether DCOM is running? If
Service B is the one that is using DCOM, then Service B, not Service A,
should be the one to check for that. All Service A should worry about is
whether Service B starts or not. And, in fact, Service B does not even need
to explicitally check for DCOM anyway. The OS will handle that
automatically. If Service B makes a DCOM call that fails, Service B can
report on that. If it is during Service B's initialization, then Service B
can fail to start altogether, which Service A can then detect. Service B
can even report that it is failing to start specifically because of a DCOM
failure, and then Service A can use that error info as needed.
Gambit

Re:Win2000 DCOM and Service Control Manager on PC Startup

Thanks for the response Remy, and you are right except I am using
Service B as a watchdog over Service A, in case there is some issue
with the device service A connects to, but anyway is there something
like a DCOM dependency - This seem to exists in XP SP2, but nothing in
2000. Thing is I do not want to start my svc unless DCOM is fully up and
running in the OS.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:

Why, exactly, does Service A need to know whether DCOM is running? If
Service B is the one that is using DCOM, ....
Gambit

{smallsort}

Re:Win2000 DCOM and Service Control Manager on PC Startup

"Colin B Maharaj" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
is there something like a DCOM dependency
No. And you don't need to do anything with DcomLaunch, either. In fact, on
my XP SP2 machine, I don't even have DcomLaunch installed at all, and my COM
services still work just fine.
This seem to exists in XP SP2, but nothing in 2000. Thing is I do
not want to start my svc unless DCOM is fully up and running in
the OS.
In my own COM services, the only dependancy I use is "RpcSs", and everything
works fine.
Gambit