Using frames dynamically with no ParentWindow

2008-02-09 01:39:52 AM
cppbuilder25
Hi,
I have some frames I'm using in a project. The frames have some buttons,
edit boxes and some TMemos.
In my program, I create a frame,
Aframe* = new AFrame(NULL);
I don't assign a Parent Window for the Frame, because I don't need to
show it, but I'm interested in other functions of the frame.
However, there will be activity causing code to execute that writes to
the TMemo (Which no one can see).
Now, can there be a problem using a frame in this way?
I have a vague memory of writing to a hidden TMemo caused some problem?
Thanks
totte

Re:Using frames dynamically with no ParentWindow

Hi Totte
Totte Karlsson says:
I have some frames I'm using in a project. The frames have some buttons,
edit boxes and some TMemos.

In my program, I create a frame,

Aframe* = new AFrame(NULL);

I don't assign a Parent Window for the Frame, because I don't need to
show it, but I'm interested in other functions of the frame.

However, there will be activity causing code to execute that writes to
the TMemo (Which no one can see).

Now, can there be a problem using a frame in this way?
I don't think so, but it sure sounds like a lot of overhead
for storing data.
TStringList can do just about the same as a nonvisual TMemo.
why do You want to do it that way ??
Kind regards
Asger

Re:Using frames dynamically with no ParentWindow

Hi,
The frame has a lot of other logic that I need. Eventually I will rip
out that logic into its own, which I then can use standalone. Then the
the frame can use it too.
But for now, I'll live with the overhead, if the non-parented controls
don't get upset, which I was not sure about
Thanks,
tk.
Asger Joergensen wrote:
Hi Totte

Totte Karlsson says:
>Hi,
>I have some frames I'm using in a project. The frames have some buttons,
>edit boxes and some TMemos.
>
>In my program, I create a frame,
>
>Aframe* = new AFrame(NULL);
>
>I don't assign a Parent Window for the Frame, because I don't need to
>show it, but I'm interested in other functions of the frame.
>
>However, there will be activity causing code to execute that writes to
>the TMemo (Which no one can see).
>
>Now, can there be a problem using a frame in this way?

I don't think so, but it sure sounds like a lot of overhead
for storing data.
TStringList can do just about the same as a nonvisual TMemo.

why do You want to do it that way ??

Kind regards
Asger

{smallsort}