Establish connection with a subnetwork computer/server

2006-04-14 05:02:22 PM
cppbuilder69
How can i find out out the exact IP address of my subnetwok computer?
The only IP which i can see is of the server computer. The problem i
have is that i cannot run an application on my subnetwork computer as a
server because i don't know its IP address.

Re:Establish connection with a subnetwork computer/server

qyte wrote:
How can i find out out the exact IP address of my subnetwok computer?
Use ipconfig in a console window.
The only IP which i can see is of the server computer.
From where do you see that ? Where is the servercomputer ? On the internet ?
The problem i
have is that i cannot run an application on my subnetwork computer as a
server because i don't know its IP address.
This is all very unclear for me. You can let a serverapplication run on
any computer. The question then of course is if that servercomputer is
reachable for clientapplications on other computers.
Please tell more exact how your configuration is. Is your serverapplication
on a LAN computer and will clientapplications on the internet contact through
the IP of a router ?
Hans.

Hans Galema wrote:
qyte wrote:
>How can i find out out the exact IP address of my subnetwok computer?

Use ipconfig in a console window.

>The only IP which i can see is of the server computer.

From where do you see that ? Where is the servercomputer ? On the
internet ?

>The problem i have is that i cannot run an application on my
>subnetwork computer as a server because i don't know its IP address.

This is all very unclear for me. You can let a serverapplication run on
any computer. The question then of course is if that servercomputer is
reachable for clientapplications on other computers.

Please tell more exact how your configuration is. Is your serverapplication
on a LAN computer and will clientapplications on the internet contact
through
the IP of a router ?

Maybe i was a little bit unclear. Let's say that i built a server app
and i run it on a computer that runs inside a network but is NOT the
server computer. What is the ip i need to use in order to run a client
app from outside that network so that i can connect to that single
computer. When i test my ip from inside the network computer it gives me
the one the server of the network has on the internet, it seems that all
computers on the network have the same IP. How can i determine the ip
from within my server app given the fact that i know ONLY what the
network's IP is?

{smallsort}

qyte wrote:
Maybe i was a little bit unclear. Let's say that i built a server app
and i run it on a computer that runs inside a network but is NOT the
server computer.
What do you mean with 'the server computer'? The gateway computer ?
The computer that is directly connected to the internet ?
How is the connection with the internet done ?
What is the ip i need to use in order to run a client
app from outside that network so that i can connect to that single
computer.
Where is that client to begin with ? On the internet ? Such a client
has to use your internet-IP. That can be the internet IP of your
router or the internet IP of the computer that is directly
connected to the internet.
When i test my ip from inside the network computer it gives me
the one the server of the network has on the internet,
It would have helped if you had also told how you tested that.
it seems that all
computers on the network have the same IP.
No. They have all the same internet-IP. They all have different LAN-IP's.
How can i determine the ip
from within my server app given the fact that i know ONLY what the
network's IP is?
Your serverapp can do nothing else but listen.
You have to configure your router (or the computer that is directly configured
to the internet) in such a way that it forwards requests on your serverapplication's
listening port to the IP of the computer where your serverapplication is running on.
That is called: portforwarding of NAT (network address translation).
Hans.

"qyte" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Let's say that i built a server app and i run it on a computer that runs
inside a network but is NOT the server computer. What is the ip i need
to use in order to run a client app from outside that network so that i
can connect to that single computer.
The client can only connect to computers that are directly accessible to the
outside world. It cannot connect to your networked computer directly at all
(for the obvious reason that the computer is simply not reachable from the
outside). The client needs to know the IP of a computer that is publically
accessible. The only reliable way to get such an IP is to query an external
source, such as checkip.dyndns.org or similar web site, to see what
IP it reports. You then need some kind of hardware router or software proxy
running at that IP address to forward all relavant inbound data to the
computer that is running your application.
When i test my ip from inside the network computer it gives me the one
the server of the network has on the internet
How exactly are you retreiving that IP?
it seems that all computers on the network have the same IP.
If they all share the same internet connection, then yes, the public IP will
be shared amongst them. As such, routing of data would have to be
controlled by the port numbers that are involved. All hardware routers have
Port Forwarding capabilities.
Gambit