C++ Builder 5 -> TDrawGrid use

I am trying to build a TDrawGrid that will contain rows and columns of 16x16
icons. Can these cells be loaded/drawn (what ever the correct term is) one at
a time and be changed one at a time as the program runs? Or do I need to build
a TImageList if these icons and modify that TImageList as the program needs to
modify the cell contents? All the cells that are not fixed can only have one
of two icons in them, so it seems a waste to build a big TImageList when 90%
will only use two icons. These two icon values will rotate when the cell is
clicked.
Any help on this will be appreciated as also will suggestions on a better way
to accomplish this.
Thanks
Doug