Re: QuickReports

2008-05-29 10:56:17 AM
cppbuilder86
We're starting from scratch on a new project.
How do you set up Rave Reports to connect to MySQL. ie., what type of
database connection ?
Our current db connection components are specifically designed for MySQL.
Mal
" Bruce Salzman" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

"Malcolm Smith" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Is QuickReports available in BCB2007 ?
>
>I know it has Rave Reports, but we're using TDataSet based components to
>connect to MySQL. I don't see how this is possible with Rave Reports
>(and I could be wrong).
>
>Can someone shed some advice please.

I think QR now sells a C++ version, if you have to go that route.

RaveReport's TRvDataSetConnection component will accept TDataSet
connections.

I'd recommend Rave over QR, but it does mean redoing the reports.

--
Bruce

Re:Re: QuickReports

"Malcolm Smith" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
We're starting from scratch on a new project.

How do you set up Rave Reports to connect to MySQL. ie., what type of
database connection ?

Our current db connection components are specifically designed for MySQL.

I connect to a Firebird database using a component derived from TDataSet. If
your MySQL component is also derived from TDataSet, it should work.
Put a TRvProject on your form along with a TRvDataSetConnection and set its
DataSet property to your MySQL component. Double click the TRvProject
component to launch the report editor and design your report.
--
Bruce

Re:Re: QuickReports

I see - I was starting the wrong way around. I had opened the Rave Report
IDE first, thinking I had to specify everything there.
Thanks. Will see how I go now.
Mal
" Bruce Salzman" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

[snip]
Put a TRvProject on your form along with a TRvDataSetConnection and set
its DataSet property to your MySQL component. Double click the TRvProject
component to launch the report editor and design your report.

--
Bruce

{smallsort}

Re:Re: QuickReports

I've created a region and dropped a DataBand onto it, and connected it to
the data view......but how do I drag fields onto the band. Drag/Drop is not
available from the tree view on the right side of the report designer.
(I hope this is the correct newsgroup).
Mal
" Bruce Salzman" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

"Malcolm Smith" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>We're starting from scratch on a new project.
[snip]

Put a TRvProject on your form along with a TRvDataSetConnection and set
its DataSet property to your MySQL component. Double click the TRvProject
component to launch the report editor and design your report.

--
Bruce

Re:Re: QuickReports

I think I worked it out....data text component and then assign to a field.
Mal
"Malcolm Smith" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I've created a region and dropped a DataBand onto it, and connected it to
the data view......but how do I drag fields onto the band. Drag/Drop is
not available from the tree view on the right side of the report designer.

(I hope this is the correct newsgroup).

Mal

Re:Re: QuickReports

"Malcolm Smith" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I've created a region and dropped a DataBand onto it, and connected it to
the data view......but how do I drag fields onto the band. Drag/Drop is not
available from the tree view on the right side of the report designer.

Try this:
Select a DataText component from the Report tab at the top and click on the
DataBand to insert it. Then set the DataField property to the field in your
DataSet. The editor is a little quirky, but it starts to make sense after a
while :^)
The Nevrona website (www.nevrona.com) has some examples and also some
newsgroups at news://news.nevrona.com/
--