Re: Executable file size

2003-09-14 12:25:55 AM
cppbuilder110
BTW, I am using static linking.
"Ashish Gupta" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

We are developing an application for a research project and chose C++
builder 6.0 for its ease of use, flexibility and large component
collection.
But the executable file size is quite large for distribution. We are using
components like:
1. The Indy Networking components
2. Standard GUI components like Toolbar, popupmenus, TrayIcon,
TPerformanceGraph, PageTabs etc.

The file size is around 1470 KB.
And the surprising thing is that the size remains the same whether I
compile
in Debug mode or Release mode, which I expected to much less than the
application with all the debug information ( at least that's that way it
is
in VC++)

Any advise on how I can get around this problem ?

thanks,
Ashish

Re:Re: Executable file size

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:24:54 -0500, Ashish Gupta wrote:
* snip some stuff *
The file size is around 1470 KB.
* snip some more stuff *
Any advise on how I can get around this problem ?

thanks,
Ashish
Hello Ashish,
One thing you could do is use an executable packer. Look at UPX
(upx.sourceforge.net/) and see if that won't help.

Re:Re: Executable file size

"Ashish Gupta" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
The file size is around 1470 KB.
That is not a bad application size nowadays.
And the surprising thing is that the size remains the same
whether I compile in Debug mode or Release mode, which
I expected to much less than the application with all the
debug information ( at least that's that way it is in VC++)
Debug information is not stored in the executable itself, it is stored in a
separate TDS file.
Gambit
---