Beginner help needed (again)

2004-11-11 12:44:19 PM
cppbuilder9
Last March, I posted asking for help compiling console applications with
C++Builder6. Gambit and Ed Mulroy gave me excellent detailed
instructions on how to do it.
Could someone please explain now how to compile Windows applications,
also using C++Builder6? The compiler is set up for doing console apps,
and I have no clue where to start.
My Network Security class project requires compiling exploits to be
demonstrated in class, all on virtual machines, and I don't need to be
fighting with the compiler while I am trying to get my exploit to work.
Thanks in advance for detailed instructions (what to click on the menu,
what to select when I have choices, etc).

Re:Beginner help needed (again)

Brenda R < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Last March, I posted asking for help compiling console applications
with C++Builder6. Gambit and Ed Mulroy gave me excellent detailed
instructions on how to do it.

Could someone please explain now how to compile Windows applications,
also using C++Builder6? The compiler is set up for doing console apps,
and I have no clue where to start.
Just to clairify, BCB only produces Windows applications no matter
what the project settings are. Whether they are console applications
or not does not change the fact that they are for Windows and not DOS,
for example. The main difference is if you plan to make it a GUI or
not. You can have a windows GUI application from a console
application, or you can write a GUI application with the VCL framework
(which is probably overkill and not what a security class would want.)
My Network Security class project requires compiling exploits to be
demonstrated in class, all on virtual machines, and I don't need to be
fighting with the compiler while I am trying to get my exploit to work.
So it's a Windows network security class? Do you learn anything about
unix security?
Thanks in advance for detailed instructions (what to click on the
menu, what to select when I have choices, etc).
Sorry, I'm not running windows right now and don't have BCB
available. I don't remember the click-sequence, but under File|New
you have a few choices. You can have a windows console application
(with WinMain) or you can have a VCL gui application. I'd suggest you could
either poke around under File|New until you find what you need.
When you create a console application you have an option of making it
have a WinMain entry point but I don't remember the wording on the wizard.
--
Chris (TeamB);

Re:Beginner help needed (again)

32 bit Windows has two kinds of programs, console
applications, text mode programs which start at the
function main and GUI (Graphical User Interface)
programs which start at the function WinMain.
C++ Builder offers two choices for how to create a
GUI program. You can write it to only use the
Windows API or you can use the RAD (Rapid Application
Development) features that are the cornerstone of
C++ Builder's appeal. The RAD method uses the VCL
(Visual Component Library). Note that the Windows API
is still available in a VCL program.
To create a project for a VCL program
Select File|New
To create a project for a Windows API program, a program
which does not use the VCL
Select File|New|Other
(on older versions use File|New)
Double click the (misnamed) Console Wizard
Make sure Console and VCL are not selected
. Ed
Brenda R wrote:
Last March, I posted asking for help compiling
console applications with C++Builder6. Gambit
and Ed Mulroy gave me excellent detailed
instructions on how to do it.

Could someone please explain now how to compile
Windows applications, also using C++Builder6?
The compiler is set up for doing console apps,
and I have no clue where to start.

My Network Security class project requires
compiling exploits to be demonstrated in class,
all on virtual machines, and I don't need to be
fighting with the compiler while I am trying to
get my exploit to work.

Thanks in advance for detailed instructions (what
to click on the menu, what to select when I have
choices, etc).

{smallsort}

Re:Beginner help needed (again)

Chris,
I had been sick with a migraine headache earlier in the day before
posting my question, so I didn't phrase it very well. Sorry about that.
My C++Builder6 did come with a Kylix disk for compiling Linux
applications (if I understand correctly what that is for), but I haven't
had a need to explore that yet. Linux comes with its own compilers.
The VCL framework was getting in the way last spring when all I was
trying to do was compile console applications, so I still don't really
understand what that is all about.
Using the words "Windows" and "security" in the same sentence is an
oxymoron. My Network Attacks instructor is an Open Source evangelist,
and we use Linux to attach Windows boxes, all on virtual machines, in an
isolated environment, to learn how networks are attacked so we can
defend against such activity. We bash Windows every chance we get. We
also like to pick on Cisco, and earlier this year, Oracle for its 43
vulnerable applications.
I am also taking a Linux System Administration class this semester and
plan to take the Advanced Linux Sys Admin class next spring.
Thanks for the info. I will poke around the menus as you suggested.
What version of Linux are you currently running?
Brenda
Chris Uzdavinis (TeamB) wrote:
Brenda R < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:

>Last March, I posted asking for help compiling console applications
>with C++Builder6. Gambit and Ed Mulroy gave me excellent detailed
>instructions on how to do it.
>
>Could someone please explain now how to compile Windows applications,
>also using C++Builder6? The compiler is set up for doing console apps,
>and I have no clue where to start.

Just to clairify, BCB only produces Windows applications no matter
what the project settings are. Whether they are console applications
or not does not change the fact that they are for Windows and not DOS,
for example. The main difference is if you plan to make it a GUI or
not. You can have a windows GUI application from a console
application, or you can write a GUI application with the VCL framework
(which is probably overkill and not what a security class would want.)

>My Network Security class project requires compiling exploits to be
>demonstrated in class, all on virtual machines, and I don't need to be
>fighting with the compiler while I am trying to get my exploit to work.

So it's a Windows network security class? Do you learn anything about
unix security?

>Thanks in advance for detailed instructions (what to click on the
>menu, what to select when I have choices, etc).

Sorry, I'm not running windows right now and don't have BCB
available. I don't remember the click-sequence, but under File|New
you have a few choices. You can have a windows console application
(with WinMain) or you can have a VCL gui application. I'd suggest you could
either poke around under File|New until you find what you need.

When you create a console application you have an option of making it
have a WinMain entry point but I don't remember the wording on the wizard.

Re:Beginner help needed (again)

Ed,
Thanks for the clarification. I should have asked about compiling
non-console applications.
Thanks for the detailed instructions.
You told me last spring that you had set up a Linux box but ended up
toasting your hard drive. You probably overwrote your Master Boot
Record. It's too late now, but that was a recoverable situation, if you
had Googled and found how to instructions at the time. I did set up a
Red Hat Enterprise Linux box at home for extra practice, but not in a
dual boot environment. I overwrote a Windows 2003 Server install and put
it on its own hard drive.
After following the instructions you and Gambit gave me last spring, I
loved the way the C++Builder6 works. It is much better than the free
BCB5 that I had also downloaded and used.
Thanks again,
Brenda
Ed Mulroy [TeamB] wrote:
32 bit Windows has two kinds of programs, console
applications, text mode programs which start at the
function main and GUI (Graphical User Interface)
programs which start at the function WinMain.

C++ Builder offers two choices for how to create a
GUI program. You can write it to only use the
Windows API or you can use the RAD (Rapid Application
Development) features that are the cornerstone of
C++ Builder's appeal. The RAD method uses the VCL
(Visual Component Library). Note that the Windows API
is still available in a VCL program.

To create a project for a VCL program
Select File|New

To create a project for a Windows API program, a program
which does not use the VCL
Select File|New|Other
(on older versions use File|New)
Double click the (misnamed) Console Wizard
Make sure Console and VCL are not selected

. Ed

>Brenda R wrote:
>Last March, I posted asking for help compiling
>console applications with C++Builder6. Gambit
>and Ed Mulroy gave me excellent detailed
>instructions on how to do it.
>
>Could someone please explain now how to compile
>Windows applications, also using C++Builder6?
>The compiler is set up for doing console apps,
>and I have no clue where to start.
>
>My Network Security class project requires
>compiling exploits to be demonstrated in class,
>all on virtual machines, and I don't need to be
>fighting with the compiler while I am trying to
>get my exploit to work.
>
>Thanks in advance for detailed instructions (what
>to click on the menu, what to select when I have
>choices, etc).

Re:Beginner help needed (again)

Brenda R < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
What version of Linux are you currently running?
RH 7.3, RH 9.0, Suse 9.1, and Gentoo. And my mom runs Fedora. :)
--
Chris (TeamB);

Re:Beginner help needed (again)

Brenda R < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
You told me last spring that you had set up a Linux box but ended up
toasting your hard drive.
The only problem I remember having was installing the MBR on the wrong
drive, but that was corrected pretty quick. The other problem I ran
into, now that I'm thinking about it, was on an old machine the BIOS
couldn't handle a boot partition>10MB, but I was trying to give it a
modest 30MB. Strange, useless errors. Reducing it to 10 MB fixed the
problem. I'm still running the same hard drives that I had 3 years
ago. (And some from the late 90s...)
--
Chris (TeamB);