Using response files for compiler include paths

2006-01-31 05:05:06 PM
cppbuilder24
Hi,
Using BDS2006, I'm running into the "Incorrect project override option"
error that was talked about before in this newsgroup. The error occurs
when I add too many include paths in the compiler options. Once I remove
a few paths, the error goes away. Probably the command line becomes too
long?
A suggestion in qc.borland.com was to use a 'response file' by adding an
extra option @myresponsefile.rsp and putting the include paths in that
file. Unformatunately it doesn't seem to work:
I have removed all include paths from the project options (although BDS
inists on adding back the path of the project source files). My response
file contains the text
-I"<path>";"<path>";...
But this gives the error E2075 Incorrect project override option: -I"<path>"
Any suggestions? Is there any other way to specificy the compiler
include paths?
Thanks
Bob

Re:Using response files for compiler include paths

Bob wrote:
Using BDS2006, I'm running into the "Incorrect project override
option" error that was talked about before in this newsgroup. The
error occurs when I add too many include paths in the compiler
options. Once I remove a few paths, the error goes away. Probably the
command line becomes too long?
The command line length limit is 8,192 characters for Windows XP and
later. 2,048 characters for earlier OSes (including Win2K).
If you aren't using Indy but have installed it you can shorten the path
further by going to "\Tools\Options\C++ Compiler\Paths and directories"
and removing the Indy include paths.
Other than that I was lucky in that I could rename and relocate my
precompiled header file and that was enough to get things going again.
Unfortunately I have no other suggestion for you. I was lucky and
managed to mangle my project to sneak under the limit :-/
I have removed all include paths from the project options (although
BDS inists on adding back the path of the project source files)
Doesn't it just? What a pain. In fact I'm going to go to QC right now
and bug report that. Adding include paths when you add a unit is a nice
feature but I should have the final say.
It also, like BCB, insists on adding those paths to the library list.
--
Andrue Cope [TeamB]
[Bicester, Uk]

Andrue Cope [TeamB] wrote:
>Using BDS2006, I'm running into the "Incorrect project override
>option" error that was talked about before in this newsgroup. The
>error occurs when I add too many include paths in the compiler
>options. Once I remove a few paths, the error goes away. Probably the
>command line becomes too long?

The command line length limit is 8,192 characters for Windows XP and
later. 2,048 characters for earlier OSes (including Win2K).
I'm using XP! The command line is not that long, there are 27
directories listed there.
If you aren't using Indy but have installed it you can shorten the path
further by going to "\Tools\Options\C++ Compiler\Paths and directories"
and removing the Indy include paths.
Thanks, this did the trick for now. But still I don't feel too happy
about it..
That 'response file' sounds like a good solution, does anyone know how
to use it?
Thanks
Bob

{smallsort}

Bob wrote:
I'm using XP! The command line is not that long, there are 27
directories listed there.
Ah, well there's also apparently an issue with a buffer overrun
resulting from the -I directive being too long. I think the latest (or
a forthcoming) version of Andreas' compiler speed boost package might
fix this. The latest version is apparently the link below:
unvclx.sourceforge.net/downloads/bcc32pch26InstallDev4.zip
--

Andrue Cope [TeamB] wrote:
I think the latest (or a forthcoming) version of Andreas' compiler speed
boost package might fix this. The latest version is apparently the
link below:

unvclx.sourceforge.net/downloads/bcc32pch26InstallDev4.zip
You meight wait some hours until I have made 2.6Dev5 available which has a
much improved BDS 2006 support like IDE bugfixes (-Ixxx and -Dxxx
bufferoverflow), an own make-system (ProjectMaker instead of Borland Make)
and a better makefile export.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Using response files for compiler include paths

bcc32pch 2.6dev 5 is now out and I'm going now into the direction of a
release version.
unvclx.sf.net/downloads/bcc32pch26InstallDev5.zip
- Workaround: BCB 2006's include directory buffer overflow
- Fixed: StringReplace was not in-memory replaced for BCB 5 (exported
symbol is different)
- Improved: Makefile generator (all OBJFILES must be quoted, otherwise
make.exe will always do a build)
- Improved: bcc32ide.exe -automake is a lot faster
- New: IDE Compiler shows the filename when it could not create the file
(original only says that a file could not be created)
- New: FastCode StringReplace and CompareStr in-memory replacements for
BDS 2006
- New: Own build system (ProjectMaker)
--
Regards,