BDS2006: De{*word*81} slowing down

2006-08-24 07:02:34 PM
cppbuilder96
Hi,
I recently ran into an annoying problem with the BDS2006 de{*word*81}. I converted
all our projects to BDS2006 and everything seemed to work fine so far.
However in some sources we are experiencing extreme slowdowns of the de{*word*81}
itself. If I try to step through the code after hitting a breakpoint, every
"step" takes ages. At first I thought the de{*word*81} had locked up, but it turned
out it was just taking very very long (I talk about 10-15 seconds per step
here). I turned on SysInternals FILEMON and REGMON, and the de{*word*81} seems to be
accessing the TDS-File a gazillion times.
This effect only occurs in some sources and there again only in some functions
(!), but there it occurs almost always. With "almost always" I mean, that after
a fresh start of the IDE everything seems to be fine. I haven't been able to
pinpoint what causes this behaviour and when it is triggered first, but after
that point it occurs every debugging session. After a restart of the IDE
everything is fine again.
It is a relatively large project composed of several DLLs and BPLs, but one of
the DLLs where the problems occurs, is relatively small with only 368KB and a
TDS-file of 6MB.
Has anyone observed a similar problem, or has some ideas about this?
Thanks very much!
Regards
Eike Petersen

Re:BDS2006: De{*word*81} slowing down

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:02:34 +0200, Eike Petersen
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Has anyone observed a similar problem, or has some ideas about this?
yes, in my experience bds de{*word*81} is practically unusable,
unfortunately I have no ideas what to do to improve thnigs :(
one of the means to slightly prolong debugging session for me (before
IDE finally dies) was to turn off "Tooltip expression evaluation" in
CodeInsight options
--
Vladimir Ulchenko aka vavan

Re:BDS2006: De{*word*81} slowing down

However in some sources we are experiencing extreme slowdowns of the
de{*word*81} itself. If I try to step through the code after hitting a
breakpoint, every "step" takes ages. At first I thought the de{*word*81} had
Do you have the option to Log All WIndows Messages turned ON?
If so, that is the cause of the big slow-down.
--Craig

{smallsort}

Craig Farrell wrote:
>However in some sources we are experiencing extreme slowdowns of the
>de{*word*81} itself. If I try to step through the code after hitting a
>breakpoint, every "step" takes ages. At first I thought the de{*word*81} had

Do you have the option to Log All WIndows Messages turned ON?
If so, that is the cause of the big slow-down.

--Craig

No!

Eike Petersen wrote:
However in some sources we are experiencing extreme slowdowns of the de{*word*81}
itself. If I try to step through the code after hitting a breakpoint, every
"step" takes ages. At first I thought the de{*word*81} had locked up, but it turned
out it was just taking very very long (I talk about 10-15 seconds per step
here). I turned on SysInternals FILEMON and REGMON, and the de{*word*81} seems to be
accessing the TDS-File a gazillion times.
Hi,
I've found a few things with the de{*word*81} in BDS2006. Firstly there
are three windows on the left during the default debug view layout. T
hese are the call stack, watch and local variables windows. On
occasion the local variables window can cause a lot of slow down in the
de{*word*81}, fortunately closing the local variables window sped up the
step through about 5x. The call stack also slows down the de{*word*81}, if
you don't need it turn it off. Finally having watch variables that are
out of the current scope (they come up with not defined) slow down the
de{*word*81} quite heavily.
Have you tried all three of the above?
Regards
Dan