Re: Terrible delays in BDS

2006-12-29 03:10:47 PM
cppbuilder34
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:57:28 -0800, "Dennis Jones" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote:
shows full CPU utilization in Task Manager during this "delay" period
I sometimes use madTraceProcess to see IDE doing weird things when my
pc starts to buzz and CPU is busy. perhaps you could try it as well?
--
Vladimir Ulchenko aka vavan

Re:Re: Terrible delays in BDS

Hi Danny,
My ".bdsproj" has not a big size just 3KB.
I have probably a sulotion for your problem...you can disable the
history plugin completelly using a tool for the borland startup control
downlodable at www.kopf.com.br/bds2006config/.
Please let me know if you solve your problem...
Thanks,
Fabry
On 29 Dic, 02:57, "Danny" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Hi Fabry,
do your project file with extension ".bdsproj", have a big size? About a
GB?

Bye

>I have exactly the same problem. However I have a project group with 6
>DLL project and a Windows application with many frames and forms. In my
>case just the windows application seems to have problems. I have a
>terrible delay for compile but also when I try to open the project
>options or to save all the files. In particular I have problem in
>modify the reference C++ file of the project that contains the
>WinMain....

>For your information I have tried to use:

>- Speed up plugin ->No effects
>- Remove the Borland Together package ->No effects
>- Remove any usless packages withwww.kopf.com.br/bds2006config/
>->No Effects
>- Remove the read only property of some file (Such files make the IDE
>slower..) ->No effects

>If you have other ideas please let me know I am becoming crazy....

>Fabry

>PS: If you like I have also posted my problem...
>(groups.google.it/group/borland.public.cppbuilder.ide/browse_th...)

Re:Re: Terrible delays in BDS

Fabry wrote:
you can disable the history plugin completelly using a
tool for the borland startup control
For this you don't need an extra tool. RegEdit can do this also. Simply
set the value of
[HKCU\Software\Borland\BDS\4.0\Known IDE Packages] history100.bpl to an
empty string.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Terrible delays in BDS

Hi Andreas,
I know that it is possible to remove the history directly from the
system registry but in my opinion it is more simple use this software
because I do not really know what is the problem.
I have used your plugin in order to speed up the BDS but when I try to
open the compiler options or save my project which is big (but not so
big) or build it I have terrible delays. This don't give me the
possibility to work well. As I have wrote before I have tried many
solution without any results.
If you know why my project is so slow, or if you have some ideas please
let me know it.
Thanks in advance,
Fabry
On 29 Dic, 14:05, "Andreas Hausladen"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Fabry wrote:
>you can disable the history plugin completelly using a
>tool for the borland startup controlFor this you don't need an extra tool. RegEdit can do this also. Simply
set the value of
[HKCU\Software\Borland\BDS\4.0\Known IDE Packages] history100.bpl to an
empty string.

--
Regards,

Andreas Hausladen

Re:Re: Terrible delays in BDS

Some disk access is apparent, but it is not continuous. The BDS process
shows full CPU utilization in Task Manager during this "delay" period
(though running a disk monitor on the BDS process might prove
enlightening).
I also have the same problem. I have a large project group with over 20
projects. If I do a Build All, things zip along at first, but it seems to
{*word*88} more and more after each compile. When it is done, just double
clicking to select a certain project lags. All projects are rooted in the
same place and reference the same *existing* directories. If I open each
project individually and compile, it flies. None of the individual or group
project files are very large. This issue has resorted to trying to use the
project/make conversion utility to build a make file for the group, which is
very quick, but has its own problems (for example, I have a COM server that
when built with make, compiles fine but gives an error on registering via
REGSVR32, while recompiling in the IDE allows REGSVR32 to register the
server...) My somewhat lame "process" is to work in the IDS, generate the
make files, buld from the command line via make, then go back to the IDE and
rebuild the various COM server DLL's. Very annoying. Is there an open QC
report about this (the project group issue) that I could vote for?
Mark

Re:Re: Terrible delays in BDS

"Mark Guerrieri" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Very annoying. Is there an open QC report about this (the project group
issue) that I could vote for?
No. The closest I could find is #21314, which I have asked to be re-opened,
but it has not been done.
- Dennis

Re:Re: Terrible delays in BDS

Another "try this" guess:
Minimize the IDE. Wait a few seconds (perhaps 15 seconds) and then restore
it.
. Ed
Mark Guerrieri wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Re:Re: Terrible delays in BDS

Dennis Jones wrote:
Yes, I have used the speedup tool, and it has no effect on this
problem.
Dennis -
*Which* of Andy's speedup tools have you used??? There's a generic IDE
speedup andy.jgknet.de/dspeedup/ , and two specific C++
compiler speedup
andy.jgknet.de/cpp/index.php or
andy.jgknet.de/cpp/index.php
Also, does the problem get worse the more you builds you do?
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx causes various parts of
the IDE to run like glue after a while.
- Roddy

Re:Re: Terrible delays in BDS

Minimize the IDE. Wait a few seconds (perhaps 15 seconds) and then
restore it.

Nice thought, but not very helpfull when doing a "Build All" on a large
project group...
Mark

Re:Re: Terrible delays in BDS

Hi Fabry,
in my project directory I have two files with extension bdsproj:
1) MyProject.bdsproj.local
2) MyProject.bdsproj
I intended the second file (for a new project the size is about 21KB).
However, I'm trying to disable the history plugin, thank you.
Bye
Hi Danny,

My ".bdsproj" has not a big size just 3KB.
I have probably a sulotion for your problem...you can disable the
history plugin completelly using a tool for the borland startup control
downlodable at www.kopf.com.br/bds2006config/.
Please let me know if you solve your problem...

Thanks,
Fabry

On 29 Dic, 02:57, "Danny" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>Hi Fabry,
>do your project file with extension ".bdsproj", have a big size? About a
>GB?
>
>Bye
>
>>I have exactly the same problem. However I have a project group with 6
>>DLL project and a Windows application with many frames and forms. In my
>>case just the windows application seems to have problems. I have a
>>terrible delay for compile but also when I try to open the project
>>options or to save all the files. In particular I have problem in
>>modify the reference C++ file of the project that contains the
>>WinMain....
>
>>For your information I have tried to use:
>
>>- Speed up plugin ->No effects
>>- Remove the Borland Together package ->No effects
>>- Remove any usless packages withwww.kopf.com.br/bds2006config/
>>->No Effects
>>- Remove the read only property of some file (Such files make the IDE
>>slower..) ->No effects
>
>>If you have other ideas please let me know I am becoming crazy....
>
>>Fabry
>
>>PS: If you like I have also posted my problem...
>>(groups.google.it/group/borland.public.cppbuilder.ide/browse_th...)

Re:Re: Terrible delays in BDS

Why can that not be done during a Build all?
I offered minimizing as a diagnostic to develop a symptom that at least has
some correlation correlates with a specific problem. If it does or does not
help either highlights or eliminates one possible issue.
When an application is minimized Windows performs a collection of the
process' allocations, the result of which is freed blocks for which Windows
has not yet done collection are combined and memory both becomes less
segmented and the apparant pool of free physical memory increases.
. Ed
Mark Guerrieri wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Minimize the IDE. Wait a few seconds (perhaps 15 seconds) and then
>restore it.

Nice thought, but not very helpfull when doing a "Build All" on a large
project group...

Re:Re: Terrible delays in BDS

Why can that not be done during a Build all?
Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I believe the ide goes modal during build
and will not respond to mouse clicks to the minimize button. Of course, I
haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure...