Update your app GUI while stepping thru code in the de{*word*81}

2007-05-25 01:38:58 AM
cppbuilder25
How often have you wished that your GUI would update as you stepped
through code in your de{*word*81}? Did you know that you can call
Application->ProcessMessages() at will in the de{*word*81} (I think you
need to enable side effects for this to work), and when you do your
app will update?
To do this, while in the de{*word*81}, do Inspect/Alt-F5, then type
Application->ProcessMessages() [or Application.ProcessMessages() for
Delphi] in the dialog box.
If you want, you can create a watch on Application->ProcessMessages(),
then call it by double-clicking on it and, in the resulting dialog,
pressing the OK button.
Wouldn't it be great to have a debug button/menu item that did this
for you? I think it would!
Please vote for this QC: 46517

Re:Update your app GUI while stepping thru code in the de{*word*81}

Leroy Casterline wrote:
How often have you wished that your GUI would update as you stepped
through code in your de{*word*81}? Did you know that you can call
Application->ProcessMessages() at will in the de{*word*81} (I think you
need to enable side effects for this to work), and when you do your
app will update?

To do this, while in the de{*word*81}, do Inspect/Alt-F5, then type
Application->ProcessMessages() [or Application.ProcessMessages() for
Delphi] in the dialog box.

If you want, you can create a watch on Application->ProcessMessages(),
then call it by double-clicking on it and, in the resulting dialog,
pressing the OK button.

Wouldn't it be great to have a debug button/menu item that did this
for you? I think it would!

Please vote for this QC: 46517

Great tip Leroy. Thanks! (It got my vote.)
Stewart