Unable to install package.

2008-05-27 03:12:35 PM
cppbuilder94
I have a BPL package project. When I right click on it and pick "install",
it says "Unable to install package ThePackage.bpl".
What is the problem?
And yes, you have all the information I have. Your guess is as good as mine.
Thanks,
Jason

Re:Unable to install package.

"Jason Cipriani" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I have a BPL package project. When I right click on it and pick "install",
it says "Unable to install package ThePackage.bpl".

What is the problem?
This seems to be linked to another problem. When this starts happening, when
I go to the project settings for the BPL package project, and click the
"Packages" category, it says "xxxx.bpl" not found (well no kidding... I just
cleaned the build), where "xxxx.bpl" is the name of the BPL produced by that
very project. The "Packages" category in the preferences then fails to load,
leaving me with an empty list and no way to do anything about it.
Restarting the IDE, which I am now reduced to doing AFTER EVERY SINGLE
BUILD, allows me to fix whatever problem occured: it complains about the
package not being found, prompts me to remove it, at which point I can
finally rebuild my package again and start the cycle anew.
I seem to remember reporting something like this as a bug a while ago and
had problems reproducing it. I can't make it happen predictably, nor do I
see the point of coming up with reproducible steps. Rather than having users
spend time reproducing problems, then CodeGear going through a list of
90,000 bug reports one at a time, it seems like it would be more efficient
for them to just gut half the IDE's code and redo it from scratch.

news:483bb468$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>I have a BPL package project. When I right click on it and pick "install",
>it says "Unable to install package ThePackage.bpl".
>
>What is the problem?

This seems to be linked to another problem. When this starts happening,
when I go to the project settings for the BPL package project, and click
the "Packages" category, it says "xxxx.bpl" not found (well no kidding...
I just cleaned the build), where "xxxx.bpl" is the name of the BPL
produced by that very project. The "Packages" category in the preferences
then fails to load, leaving me with an empty list and no way to do
anything about it.

Restarting the IDE, which I am now reduced to doing AFTER EVERY SINGLE
BUILD, allows me to fix whatever problem occured: it complains about the
package not being found, prompts me to remove it, at which point I can
finally rebuild my package again and start the cycle anew.
Does anybody know a solution to this that doesn't involve restarting the IDE
as a regular part of the build process? I have not solved this problem yet.
Thanks,
Jason

{smallsort}