Re: wxWindows

2003-10-13 07:36:22 AM
cppbuilder104
"Remy Lebeau \(TeamB\)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
My company's primary product contains over 2 million lines of code and
over 50 forms.
<quickly scans source tree>
Close to 500 forms in ours, although only 1 million lines of code.
Pointlessly competitive? Who, me? <g>
AlisdairM

Re:Re: wxWindows

"AlisdairM" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Close to 500 forms in ours
Ouch
Gambit

Re:Re: wxWindows

Remy Lebeau (TeamB) < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
[...] 1) maintain
the Pascal VCL as-is, 2) re-write the Pascal VCL in C++ but otherwise keep
it the same, or 3) make a new library from scratch to take advantage of the
C++ language and its features. There were early experiments done with #2,
and from what I had heard awhile back, there was some success with it.
Later on, when I heard that #3 was being persued instead, I was just as
surprised as everyone else to hear it. Why they did not continue to persue
#2, I do not know even to this day.
This is the second posting here that indicates
that there is a new C++ GUI framework to be
expected that's written by Borland. So wxWindows
is just to fill the gap?
Anyway, I guess the reason for that maybe is
the survey. Whilewe never got the data (which
once was promissed), I suspect that many
frustrated C++ programmers filled in the forms,
but only a few VCL users. So the demand for
real C++ std conformance was heard. Also, if
you read the news daily, there regularely has
been demand for a C++ GUI framework.
Basically, that's what we're promissed to get.
Great. It's just that they forgot those who
did bet their life on VCL. Not so great. (I'm
really glad I'm not one of them.) I am pretty
sure that by now a few people at Borland are
really surprised about the outcry here. They
developed what was demanded, and now it isn't
good enough...
Gambit
Schobi
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers org

{smallsort}

Re:Re: wxWindows

"Hendrik Schober" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
This is the second posting here that indicates
that there is a new C++ GUI framework to be
expected that's written by Borland.
There have been many more than just two over the last couple of months.
So wxWindows is just to fill the gap?
Nobody knows for sure whether wxWindows will be *the* framework, or just a
stepping stone to something else later on.
It's just that they forgot those who did bet their life on VCL.
They never forgot that, not for a second. That was on the *top* of their
requirements lists when first diving into a new framework. Unfortunately,
it was no longer at the top upon coming out the other end. Why it slipped
in priority, who knows. But they still have not forgotten it. They will be
addressing VCL users' concerns/questions shortly.
I am pretty sure that by now a few people at Borland
are really surprised about the outcry here.
On the countrary, they were expecting it ahead of time, or so I heard.
They developed what was demanded, and now it isn't
good enough...
Excuse me? Just because it doesn't meet VCL needs does not mean that it is
not good enough in its own right. There are a LOT of non-VCL users
(yourself included, so you claim) that will benefit from the new framework,
once it is released. If there wasn't such a demand for these tools (again,
as you claim) then they wouldn't have been made in the first place.
Gambit

Re:Re: wxWindows

Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:
>I am pretty sure that by now a few people at Borland
>are really surprised about the outcry here.
On the countrary, they were expecting it ahead of time, or so I heard.
Forgive me, Remy, but *that* I find hard to believe... :)
--
Ken
planeta.terra.com.br/educacao/kencamargo/

Re:Re: wxWindows

"Ken de Camargo Jr.]" <rb.moc.arret@jcrk>wrote in message
Forgive me, Remy, but *that* I find hard to believe... :)
Well, they didn't announce publically that they were expecting an outcry, so
of course you would not believe something that you did not hear. They would
have had to be brain-dead to not know that there would be some complaining
when VCL was not included in the first release. Fortunately, Borland is far
from brain-dead :-) Just because VCL did not make it into the first release
does *not* mean that it won't make it into a future one. VCL is not the
only feature that was not ready for release on Day 1. It is still a work in
progress.
Gambit

Re:Re: wxWindows

What is in CBX1, if there's no VCL and no wxWindows?
Digby Millikan
www.users.on.net/digbym

Re:Re: wxWindows

"Digby Millikan" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
What is in CBX1, if there's no VCL and no wxWindows?
Pretty much the IDE itself, support for toolsets, the BCB6 compiler, a
preview of the upcoming compiler, and maybe a few other odds and ends.
Gambit

Re:Re: wxWindows

Pretty much the IDE itself, support for toolsets, the BCB6 compiler, a
preview of the upcoming compiler, and maybe a few other odds and ends.

By toolsets, do you mean wxWindows?
Regards Digby Millikan

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>What is in CBX1, if there's no VCL and no wxWindows?

Pretty much the IDE itself, support for toolsets, the BCB6 compiler, a
preview of the upcoming compiler, and maybe a few other odds and ends.
...And a new, very high pricetag. Something I'm sure we're all very happy
to see accompany a new product with so very few features.
- Dennis

Re:Re: wxWindows

Remy Lebeau (TeamB) < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
[...]
>This is the second posting here that indicates
>that there is a new C++ GUI framework to be
>expected that's written by Borland.

There have been many more than just two over the last couple of months.
Well, yeah. I should have said it's the
second one I see.
>So wxWindows is just to fill the gap?

Nobody knows for sure whether wxWindows will be *the* framework, or just a
stepping stone to something else later on.
Oh, I think there are people who know.
(Whether there are any of them among those
who post here, is another question.)
>It's just that they forgot those who did bet their life on VCL.

They never forgot that, not for a second. [...]
Well, that would only make things appear
worse.
>I am pretty sure that by now a few people at Borland
>are really surprised about the outcry here.

On the countrary, they were expecting it ahead of time, or so I heard.
Well, doing this consiously would make it
worse, too.
>They developed what was demanded, and now it isn't
>good enough...

Excuse me? Just because it doesn't meet VCL needs does not mean that it is
not good enough in its own right. There are a LOT of non-VCL users
(yourself included, so you claim) that will benefit from the new framework,
once it is released. If there wasn't such a demand for these tools (again,
as you claim) then they wouldn't have been made in the first place.
I never said it isn't good anough for me.
I was merely summarizing the outcry I have
experienced here since CBX was announced.
Sorry if it appeared otherwise.
Gambit
Schobi
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers org
"And why should I know better by now/When I'm old enough not to?"
Beth Orton

Re:Re: wxWindows

"Digby Millikan" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
By toolsets, do you mean wxWindows?
No, I mean the ability to plugin in your own compilers, linkers,
preprocessors, and anything else that is needed to compile particular files
of a project. By toolets, I mean the *set of tools* needed to help make the
final executable.
Gambit

Re:Re: wxWindows

"Hendrik Schober" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I never said it isn't good anough for me.
I was merely summarizing the outcry I have
experienced here since CBX was announced.
Sorry if it appeared otherwise.
Yeah, well, alot of these groups are VCL-oriented, so of course there is
going to be an outcry *here*. That does not mean the C++ community as a
whole is outcrying everywhere.
Gambit

Re:Re: wxWindows

Remy Lebeau (TeamB) < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
[...] That does not mean the C++ community as a
whole is outcrying everywhere.
Certainly not. We're talking about the
Borland C++ community here. <g>
Gambit
Schobi
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers org
"And why should I know better by now/When I'm old enough not to?"
Beth Orton

Re:Re: wxWindows

"Hendrik Schober" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Certainly not. We're talking about the
Borland C++ community here. <g>
I was also referring to the Borland community as a whole. Not all Borland
users are VCL users.
Gambit