Dot Net questions

2004-01-21 06:10:15 AM
cppbuilder40
Is the .NET framework a full API interface such as Win32 API?
Is .NET only available on XP and the latest Windows oper systems?
Does C# compile win32 API's or only .NET API's?
If not where can I find a reference to .NET API's?
Blue Knight

Re:Dot Net questions

Hi Blue Knight,
Is the .NET framework a full API interface such as Win32 API?
I don't know exactly what you mean by that, but I think the answer is
Yes.
See also msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/ and
msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/technologyinfo/overview/
Is .NET only available on XP and the latest Windows oper systems?
No, it also runs on Win2K.
Does C# compile win32 API's or only .NET API's?
The .NET API using safe, managed calls, but you can also make unsafe,
unmanaged Win32 API calls.
If not where can I find a reference to .NET API's?
Start with msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/
Blue Knight
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) Borland Technology Partner
webmaster UK Borland User Group (BUG) & DotNet Developers Group (DDG)

Re:Dot Net questions

"Blue Knight" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Is the .NET framework a full API interface such as Win32 API?
Yes. .NET is a platform of its own, and thus has its own API. Whether .NET
will sit on top of Win32 or the other way around in the upcoming Windows OS
that is in development is still a matter of some debate, so I will leave
that as a separate discussion.
Is .NET only available on XP and the latest Windows oper systems?
No. The .NET runtime is available for download for all Windows OSs except
for Windows 95 and NT4 prior to SP6a.
Does C# compile win32 API's or only .NET API's?
Only .NET. Although, it is possible to call Win32 functions from .NET, but
it does have some extra overhead due to Win32 being considered an
"unmanaged" environment and .NET takes extra precautions and coding to make
sure unmanaged code is still adequately protected.
If not where can I find a reference to .NET API's?
From MSDN, like any other Microsoft API:
msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/
Gambit

{smallsort}

Re:Dot Net questions

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:32:12 +0100, Bob Swart < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote:
>Is .NET only available on XP and the latest Windows oper systems?

No, it also runs on Win2K.
The runtime works on everything except Windows 95.
It is the SDK that is only supported on 2000 and XP.
See:
msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/technologyinfo/sysreqs/default.aspx
---
Michael McCulloch

Re:Dot Net questions

Thanks to all
Blue Knight

Re:Dot Net questions

There is also an open-source port underway which will allow .NET programs to
run on unixes (e.g. linux), as well as on windows itself, this is expected
to reach 1.0 in a few months - take a look at www.go-mono.org