What is your prefered newsreader (and why )?

2004-03-03 03:48:50 PM
cppbuilder59
I currently use the basic solution - OutlookExpress.
What can some other newsreader offer better to me?
Best regards,
Vladimir.

Re:What is your prefered newsreader (and why )?

Vladimir Stefanovic wrote:
I currently use the basic solution - OutlookExpress.
I use mozilla thunderbird.
What can some other newsreader offer better to me?
When you reply to someone, their text is not wrapped, so it stays
readable. Outlook Express also had a tendency to sometimes 'miss'
articles which I posted, I've not had this with thunderbird (yet).
Thunderbird's GUI is a bit alike Outlook Express, so you won't be
completely lost, too, when first using it ;).
HTH,
Micha.

Vladimir Stefanovic wrote:
I currently use the basic solution - OutlookExpress.

What can some other newsreader offer better to me?

Best regards,
Vladimir.

{smallsort}

Eelke Klein wrote:
Vladimir Stefanovic wrote:

>I currently use the basic solution - OutlookExpress.
>
>What can some other newsreader offer better to me?
I was about to tell that I prefer mozilla but maybe its not so good an
idea as I just hit the wrong button...
However my first reason for using mozilla is that its saver when
receiving email viruses but for newsgroups thats less of an issue.
Something that is usefull is that it is better at formatting messages
when replying.
A third "political" reason is because mozilla is in general more
standards complient then microsoft solutions and I believe the correct
implementation of standards should be promoted.
Eelke

Re:What is your prefered newsreader (and why )?

Is there some mechanism (even in Outlook Express) that can, how to say,
save (archive) old posts which will be by default truncated after some time.
For example I cannot see the posts that are a couple of months old.
How to solve this?

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
I currently use the basic solution - OutlookExpress.

What can some other newsreader offer better to me?

Best regards,
Vladimir.

MicroPlanet Gravity 2.60b (build 2056)
it's free, small and works for me.

Vladimir Stefanovic wrote:
Is there some mechanism (even in Outlook Express) that can, how to say,
save (archive) old posts which will be by default truncated after some time.

For example I cannot see the posts that are a couple of months old.
That is a function of a newsgroup ( and why I don't like
them :) ) - the newsgroup drops messages older than xxx and
puts them in their archive - if they have one.
How to solve this?
Personally I use Mozilla, and download everything locally,
so I can browse at leisure without a connection, and go back
to messages that the newsgroup has already deleted ( even
the ones that the moderator kills early ;) )
The only niggle is that I can't use the nice search
facilities that are available on the eMail lists to search
the downloaded newsgroup messages - that still only works on
the header information ( unless someone knows differed? )
--
Lester Caine
-----------------------------

Re:What is your prefered newsreader (and why )?

That is a function of a newsgroup ( and why I don't like
them :) )
There are so many useful stuff in the deleted posts and it's just
pity not to have them in the newsreder...
In fact, there is a web based search mechanism
www.tamaracka.com/search.htm

Eelke Klein wrote:
Eelke Klein wrote:

>Vladimir Stefanovic wrote:
>
>>I currently use the basic solution - OutlookExpress.
>>
>>What can some other newsreader offer better to me?
I use Mozilla 1.6, Works Great for me.

A third "political" reason is because mozilla is in general more
standards complient then microsoft solutions and I believe the correct
implementation of standards should be promoted.

Eelke

I totaly agree with you on the standards compilance issue.

Re:What is your prefered newsreader (and why )?

I was about to tell that I prefer mozilla but maybe its not so good an
idea as I just hit the wrong button...
He he :) I'll get Mozilla when they rearange buttons...

Vladimir Stefanovic wrote:
He he :) I'll get Mozilla when they rearange buttons...
The source code is free and you are a programmer, aren't you? :-)
BTW I use Mozilla 1.6 too. I think it is easier to use than OE, I never
heard of a virus attacking Mozilla, and it is great for removing spam
mails. The browser is also a lot better than IE.
Ivan Johansen

Re:What is your prefered newsreader (and why )?

There are so many useful stuff in the deleted posts and it's just
pity not to have them in the newsreder...
Vladimir, Yes I know what you mean. The way I save topics permantently is to
right click the message and use "Copy To Folder" , you can organize the
savings by creating a new folder before copying it over. If you want to save
a whole topic, multi select the messages(shift select or ctrl select), right
click and use the "Combing And Decode" option. Sometimes you have to
re-arrange the message but as soon as you do that (or skip that part) goto
the File menu, use Copy To Folder or save the whole topic as a txt or eml
file.

Re:What is your prefered newsreader (and why )?

Thunderbird. Because it is not as stupid as OE. It isn't the best
newsreader in the world, but it is good enough for me, and has nice
email features.
h^2

Re:What is your prefered newsreader (and why )?

"Vladimir Stefanovic" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:40458e06
@newsgroups.borland.com:
I currently use the basic solution - OutlookExpress.

What can some other newsreader offer better to me?

I use X-News <xnews.newsguy.com/>, free and supports multiple news
servers, which was a must when I was looking for a news reader...
Simon

Re:What is your prefered newsreader (and why )?

I use Outlook Express because it's here, it does what I need, it seems to
work. Why fix what isn't broken?
. Ed
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...