Re: Life after BCB6

2005-04-04 12:28:00 PM
cppbuilder26
just curious. what do you guys use for reporting?

Re:Re: Life after BCB6

Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:
Not going to happen.
Hmm, now that's a conviction :)
.a

Re:Re: Life after BCB6

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:
I'm pretty sure they are sincere now.
Are you saying they lied before? <g>
.a

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Life after BCB6

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:
[big snip]
C'mon people! Quote!
.a

Re:Re: Life after BCB6

Timothy wrote:
all we need to do is recompile the same code in Qt for Windows.
now why does that sound 'too good to be true'? <g>
Oh, I'm sure you can make it compile, but... recalling the zillions of
'small differences' between CLX and VCL, and even CLX/Linux vs CLX/Win32,
this really blew a big hole in my cross platform ambitions. If Borland
(and TrollTech) couldn't do better after 3 major (Kylix) releases' worth
of R&D, ...
--
Kristofer

Re:Re: Life after BCB6

"Kristofer Skaug" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:42512210$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Timothy wrote:
>all we need to do is recompile the same code in Qt for Windows.

now why does that sound 'too good to be true'? <g>
Oh, I'm sure you can make it compile, but... recalling the zillions of
'small differences' between CLX and VCL, and even CLX/Linux vs CLX/Win32,
this really blew a big hole in my cross platform ambitions. If Borland
(and TrollTech) couldn't do better after 3 major (Kylix) releases' worth
of R&D, ...
We've ported one our main apps to Qt. It compiles on Linux (g++)
and Windows (msvc7.1) with no problems.
There are a few functions that we had to put in a separate namespace
and define differently based on OS. Mostly a sleep(int) function
and a function to get available disk space. I'll probably replace
the sleep function with a one shot QTimer at some point but haven't
gotten around to it yet.
Of course, we've written this with cross platform in mind. Most of our
non-gui code gets tested on more than one compiler for example.
The only real problems that we've had have been with things like getting drive lists
and network shares. Qt has some file management stuff that works
fairly well, but doesn't yet wrap some of the more platform specific stuff
like volume names.
As for CLX, I wouldn't judge Qt so much based on that. I imagine
that Borland had trouble making it play with the VCL stuff. I also think
that if they had to do that, that they had to freeze the version of Qt that
they wrapped. I've never used Kylix, but this is the idea that I got
from people who have.

Re:Re: Life after BCB6

Alex Bakaev [TeamB] wrote:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:

>I'm pretty sure they are sincere now.

Are you saying they lied before? <g>
No, just that they probably won't change their mind again. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and

Re:Re: Life after BCB6

Alex Bakaev [TeamB] wrote:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:
[big snip]

C'mon people! Quote!
.a
Oops! 't was late and I was tired. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"Not even computers will replace committees, because committees buy

Re:Re: Life after BCB6

On 2 Apr 2005 16:24:12 -0800, Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:
Duane Hebert wrote:

>"Randall Parker" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote
>in message news:424efbf0$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>
>>I think Timothy was being ridiculous in trying to assert that VCL
>>was in decline versus Qt. VCL has a long way to decline before it
>>reaches Qt's level of usefulness.
>
>Right now, VCL's level of usefulness is 0.

Tell that to those who bought Delphi 2005. They'll laugh long and hard
about that.
I'm not laughing. I stopped using Delphi 2005 after I descovered it's
instability, remember?
Here at work we're switching to Qt.
Pete

Re:Re: Life after BCB6

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 12:09:17 -0800, Randall Parker wrote:
I use a tree control from DevEx that combines some of the functionality of a grid
with that of a tree. I'd be shocked if Qt land had anything equivalent.
Then you're easily shocked since Qt has it now. How do you think CLX
offered it in Delphi 7.0 and Kylix 3.0?
Hint: CLX is based on Qt. Gasp!
Why would someone use Qt to do Win32 RAD development if they didn't need to go
cross-platform?
C++. I've tried to use Delphi with C++ and it ain't pretty.
If you need cross-platform compatibility then Qt makes sense. But for people who do
not need to write apps for anything aside from Windows I do not see the point of
using Qt.
Again, C++.
Pete

Re:Re: Life after BCB6

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:
Oops! 't was late and I was tired. <g>

I know <g>
.a

Re:Re: Life after BCB6

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:
"Based on" is the exact term, indeed. Visual CLX uses some of the
routines in Qt.
"some of the routines"? That seems to be an understatement of the year <g>
.a

Re:Re: Life after BCB6

Pete Goodwin wrote:
>hard about that.

I'm not laughing. I stopped using Delphi 2005 after I descovered it's
instability, remember?
No, I didn't remember. Anyway, it isn't unstable for everyone.
Here at work we're switching to Qt.
Good luck.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."

Re:Re: Life after BCB6

Pete Goodwin wrote:
Hint: CLX is based on Qt. Gasp!
"Based on" is the exact term, indeed. Visual CLX uses some of the
routines in Qt.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"I wouldn't mind dying - it's the business of having to stay dead that
scares the shit out of me." -- R. Geis.

Re:Re: Life after BCB6

Pete Goodwin wrote:
On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 12:09:17 -0800, Randall Parker wrote:

>I use a tree control from DevEx that combines some of the functionality of a grid
>with that of a tree. I'd be shocked if Qt land had anything equivalent.

Then you're easily shocked since Qt has it now. How do you think CLX
offered it in Delphi 7.0 and Kylix 3.0?
Qt has what exactly now?
Some of the things I do with DevEx Quantum TreeList: Each tree node has grid columns
over to the right of it. Depending on what node level you are at some columns are
disabled. So I disable and enable different grid cells differently in each row based
on tree node level for that row.
Also, I show different right click context menues based on which tree node level a
given node/row is at. So I need to be able to intercept the right click context
click, find out the corresponding node, and test the node level to determine which
context menu to put up.
Also, when a drag begins I use the event for the begin of the drag to test what node
level is being dragged. Then I use a DragOver event to test the node level of the
node the mouse is over to enable or disable Drop on the current node the mouse is
over. Either the DragOver or the event that starts the drag needs a way to identify
what node at what level is being dragged. Also, droppability needs to be dynamically
changeable during a drug.
Unless you try to implement more complex UIs you don't hit up against limits to
various controls. My expectation is that the average person telling me toolset X or
toolset Y is great has not really pushed toolset X or toolset Y as hard as I would.
At the same time, an attempt to try another toolset is an investment of weeks or
months to discover whether the really complex UI stuff can be done in it in a
sufficiently productive manner.
Hint: CLX is based on Qt. Gasp!
Based on? CLX is an emulation of VCL written on top of Qt and using Qt rather like
VCL uses Win32 to provide lower level building blocks. Of course Qt is an additional
level which is in turn written on top of Win32 (or X on Linux). But obviously VCL has
lots of features and controls that are a lot fancier than what Win32 offers. Ditto
for CLX on top of Qt.
My guess is that Qt has improved quite a bit as a result of the attempt to put CLX on
top of it and Borland basically helped TrollTech identify a lot of deficiencies in
Qt. So if Borland ever revved CLX again on top of Qt they could produce something
better than the existing CLX.
I talked to a guy who wrote a library of controls on top of Win32 for VCL
compatibility and on top of Qt for CLX compatibility. He told me the Qt/CLX versions
were slower because Qt introduced an additional and not terribly optimized layer on
top of Win32. He told me a few years ago that anyone who doesn't need cross-platform
compatibility ought to steer clear of Qt. Now, maybe Qt has made big strides since
then. Dunno.
>Why would someone use Qt to do Win32 RAD development if they didn't need to go
>cross-platform?

C++. I've tried to use Delphi with C++ and it ain't pretty.
Delphi with C++? What are you talking about?