Re: What's the "State of the IDE"?

2006-10-04 03:30:17 PM
cppbuilder65
David Dean wrote:
>If they HAVEN'T been updated, then this
>is more along the lines of "promises, promises"...

Yes, you have to have some faith. But I think the things that have
been published and the work that I have seen done, it does give me faith.
Currently I have no faith that CURRENT Builder5 projects will never move
from that platform. I move some stuff to Builder6 but other projects
simply would not play ball, and since I needed to keep them in
production I now have two machine - one with Builder6 and one with
Builder5.
Heck with all the {*word*99} in BDS, a change to Eclipse/CDT is going to be
easier :(
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

Re:Re: What's the "State of the IDE"?

Duane Hebert wrote:
>PostgreSQL support was in Kylix, why isn't it in BDS? I would like to see
>PostgreSQL support in BDS; anyone else?

Absolutely. Having worked with MySql, Oracle and Postgres,
I definitely prefer Postgres and the price (0) and licensing
restrictions (none) can't be beat.
So why not Firebird? The price is the same.
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

Lester Caine wrote:
David Dean wrote:

>>If they HAVEN'T been updated, then this is more along the lines of
>>"promises, promises"...
>
>Yes, you have to have some faith. But I think the things that have
>been published and the work that I have seen done, it does give me faith.

Currently I have no faith that CURRENT Builder5 projects will never move
will ever move ;)
from that platform. I move some stuff to Builder6 but other projects
simply would not play ball, and since I needed to keep them in
production I now have two machine - one with Builder6 and one with
Builder5.
Heck with all the {*word*99} in BDS, a change to Eclipse/CDT is going to be
easier :(
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
L.S.Caine Electronic Services - home.lsces.co.uk
Model Engineers Digital Workshop -
home.lsces.co.uk/ModelEngineersDigitalWorkshop/
Treasurer - Firebird Foundation Inc. - www.firebirdsql.org/index.php

{smallsort}

"Lester Caine" wrote:
>Absolutely. Having worked with MySql, Oracle and Postgres,
>I definitely prefer Postgres and the price (0) and licensing
>restrictions (none) can't be beat.

So why not Firebird? The price is the same.
Look where he's familiar with. Something that doesn't need a (or more) DBA
_can't_ be good! <g>
Peter

David Dean wrote:
>1. Absolute file-paths suck, and for very large projects, they make
>navigating sourcecode unbearable.

I agree. I thought for sure this was already in QC, but I don't see
it.
Report No: 20272 Status: Open
Nested folder display makes PM very difficult to use
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
- Leo

Re:Re: What's the "State of the IDE"?

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
Leo Siefert < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Nested folder display makes PM very difficult to use
Thank you Leo, but that explains why I couldn't find it at the time.
It is a private report, and I was searching with the web client without
having logged in to QC.
So, yes, Borland is aware of this, and it is regarded as a serious
usability issue. In delphi.non-tech, Chris Pattinson (QA Manager) has
said that high visibility usability issues are things that must be fixed
for Highlander.
--
-David
Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?

Re:Re: What's the "State of the IDE"?

David Dean < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:ozchzhq02-
XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
<SNIP>

So, yes, Borland is aware of this, and it is regarded as a serious
usability issue. In delphi.non-tech, Chris Pattinson (QA Manager) has
said that high visibility usability issues are things that must be fixed
for Highlander.

Another big fix I'd like to see is when a C++ class is fully implemented in
a header file without a corresponding CPP file -- a common practice,
especially when inlining code -- they don't appear as top-level nodes in
the project manager, and their definitions (class, properties, methods)
don't show at all in the structure pane. This is yet another really crummy
design flaw that I'd like to see fixed.
mr_organic

Re:Re: What's the "State of the IDE"?

In article <4523ba10$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"mr_organic" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Another big fix I'd like to see is when a C++ class is fully implemented in
a header file without a corresponding CPP file -- a common practice,
especially when inlining code -- they don't appear as top-level nodes in
the project manager, and their definitions (class, properties, methods)
don't show at all in the structure pane. This is yet another really crummy
design flaw that I'd like to see fixed.
That sounds familiar as well. I think this was also a pet peeve for
one of the Team B guys (Alex?). At least part of this appears to already
be fixed for Highlander:
<qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx>
--
-David
Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?

Re:Re: What's the "State of the IDE"?

David Dean < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:ozchzhq02-
XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
This is marked as "closed", but is not *fixed*. There are simply two (lame)
workarounds, neither of which are practical for large or complex projects.
mr_organic

Re:Re: What's the "State of the IDE"?

In article <4523c210$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"mr_organic" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
This is marked as "closed", but is not *fixed*. There are simply two (lame)
workarounds, neither of which are practical for large or complex projects.
It *is* marked as Fixed. It isn't fixed in any currently shipping
version, but it has been fixed. I assume that we won't see it until
Highlander, but I guess it is possible that it may come in a hotfix.
--

"Duane Hebert" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
"Nathaniel L. Walker" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:4522dc04$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>PostgreSQL support was in Kylix, why isn't it in BDS? I would like to see
>PostgreSQL support in BDS; anyone else?

Absolutely. Having worked with MySql, Oracle and Postgres,
I definitely prefer Postgres and the price (0) and licensing
restrictions (none) can't be beat.
We've been running postgresql for several years now (on linux), and
last night it crashed due to sloney (a mirroring extension) for
perhaps the 2nd time in 6 years. When it was restarted, it did a
perfect recovery, no data was lost, and everything was able to
continue as if nothing had happened.
It was, in all, a pleasantly delightful experience amidst something
that could have been a disaster.
--
Chris (TeamB);

"mr_organic" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
David Dean < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:ozchzhq02-
XXXX@XXXXX.COM :

>qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

This is marked as "closed", but is not *fixed*. There are simply two (lame)
workarounds, neither of which are practical for large or complex projects.
I just read the report, and it indeed says "Status: Closed" but also
says (lower down) "Resolution: Fixed"
--
Chris (TeamB);

Re:Re: What's the "State of the IDE"?

"Duane Hebert" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I'm playing with Turbo C++ Explorer and find
it better than BCB. What's with the Build Configuration
Manager though? I would have expected to switch build
configs (release to debug for example) for this guy but
this doesn't seem to work.
That works for me. You must choose the configuration from the drop-down
first. Then choose the projects you want to change configurations for.
Then hit apply. Does it not work this way for you (or is not the same in
Turbo)?
- Clayton

Re:Re: What's the "State of the IDE"?

Chris Uzdavinis (TeamB) < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
"mr_organic" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:

>David Dean < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:ozchzhq02-
> XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
>
>>qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
>
>This is marked as "closed", but is not *fixed*. There are simply two
>(lame) workarounds, neither of which are practical for large or
>complex projects.

I just read the report, and it indeed says "Status: Closed" but also
says (lower down) "Resolution: Fixed"

If it's "fixed" for Highlander, wouldn't they put that in a note on the
QC record or something? From a BDS 2006 standpoint, it's *not* fixed.
mr_organic

Re:Re: What's the "State of the IDE"?

In article <4523d81f$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"mr_organic" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
If it's "fixed" for Highlander, wouldn't they put that in a note on the
QC record or something? From a BDS 2006 standpoint, it's *not* fixed.
Under ideal circumstances, the build number it was fixed in would be
reported under "Resolved in Build". In this case someone made a mistake,
and it was filed against 10.0.2288.42451 when I saw this I checked the
internal system, saw that it was in fact fixed in a different build,
(based on the date it was marked fixed). Since the build number was
wrong in the internal system, I made a note of that in the QC report,
and contacted someone from Borland to let them know that the build
number was wrong in RAID. I don't know if/when they'll fix the build
number in RAID, but if/when they do, the correct number can be
published. Either way, I am confident that it has been fixed, I just
can't be sure when we'll see the fix.