Porting from Borland 4.5 to C++ Builder 6.0

2007-01-29 09:08:49 PM
cppbuilder44
Hi All,
I am in need of Porting a 16-bit Windows application with OWL classes
to 32-bit Windows application in Borland C++ Builder 6.0.
Can any one help me on this.
Thanks in advance

Re:Porting from Borland 4.5 to C++ Builder 6.0

Vijay < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Hi All,

I am in need of Porting a 16-bit Windows application with OWL classes
to 32-bit Windows application in Borland C++ Builder 6.0.

Can any one help me on this.
Let's put it this way:
Either, all GUI code is nicely separated from the core
functionality in which case the port should be easy. Or
it's all mingled, in which case you're essentially facing
a rewrite where you can copy-paste some algorithms. Yes,
there's shades of grey, but IME usually it boils down to
those two cases.
To this add the headaches of 16bit to 32bit. Ouch.
Thanks in advance
HTH,
Schobi
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm HSchober at gmx dot de

Re:Porting from Borland 4.5 to C++ Builder 6.0

You can use OWLNext if you "just" need 32 bit porting, a better compiler and so on. But not if you already know you have to rewrite the GUI. OWLNext is a project whose aim is to support the WOL after Boeland decided to abandon it. The main advantage of OWL with respoect to Borland VCL (the framework that was shipped with BCB6) is that it is written in C++ while VCL was written in Delphi. This means that OWLNext can be recompiled with other compilers while VCL needs a Borland compiler. You can also mix different frameworks: for example I have some projects that makes use of OWLNext and VCL simultaneously (using BCB6) and others in which I used OWLNext with Visual C++.
Give a look at owlnext.sourceforge.net/
Bye,
Luigi

{smallsort}

Re:Porting from Borland 4.5 to C++ Builder 6.0

I am in need to port a project from Borland C++ 4.5 to Borland C++
Builder 6.0.
It uses OWL classes to create the FORMS & WINDOWS to get the GUI part.
Now those classes in OWL libraries are outdated.(As many Websites
says) Now it has been replaced with VCL in Borland C++ Builder
Versions.
Now I have to use the same resources from Borland C++ 4.5 to C++
Builder. Is there any way to use the same header files that they had
used in Borland C++ 4.5 or can I get new header of the same for
Borland C++ Builder 6.0.
The time limit is too short for me to accomplish this task. Please
help me out.
Project Details
CPP Files -- 403
C Files -- 200
.RC Files -- 66 (Resource files to get the GUI) This is
where I am finding difficulty to port.

Re:Porting from Borland 4.5 to C++ Builder 6.0

Probably I'm too OWL oriented. Keep in mind that VCL support for ++ Builder
is not guaranteed and sometimes ago (I may be wrong) it close to be
abandoned. In any case the adoption of VCL requires to rewrite the forms
from scratch. Finally, which version of OWL is shipped with BC4.5? If it is
1.0 there are many differences with OWLNext, while successive releases are
much more compatible.
Luigi
"Vijay" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >ha scritto nel messaggio
[...]

I tried with OWLNext. Buut it never workd for me... Showed up lot of
errors.
How to use STRINGTABLES in Newer version..
Reply me!! Please
Vijay