Socket tutorials for C++Builder ?

2006-12-06 03:07:13 PM
cppbuilder37
Greetings all,
Thanks for recent help :-)
I've read all I can about sockets and client/server apps in general - I
understand what listen and accept do etc. But I am still very new to
C++Builder 6.
So, I am looking for examples of using C++Builder 6 to make a simple server
app using sockets (rather than ask here every time I hit a snag.)
The Borland book has limited examples, and the various CBuilder books online
didn't have any simple examples.
I see many examples online using VC, Java, C#, Windows API etc. but they are
not so useful for learning the way C++Builder uses events (I am using the
plain old ServerSocket component.)
So,
can someone suggest some examples and tutorials developing a simple socket
based server using C++Builder specifically?
Thanks,
Quentin

Re:Socket tutorials for C++Builder ?

"Quentin David Jones" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
message news:45766bf4$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
So, I am looking for examples of using C++Builder 6 to make a simple
server app using sockets (rather than ask here every time I hit a snag.)
Have you looked at the example projects that ship with BCB yet?
Gambit

Re:Socket tutorials for C++Builder ?

"Quentin David Jones" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
message news:45766bf4$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
So,
can someone suggest some examples and tutorials developing a simple socket
based server using C++Builder specifically?

I think you should have a look at the ICS TWSocket component and the
tutorials and examples on their website www.overbyte.be . Once
installed, they are simple to use, have a number of good examples which you
could probably modify to get your server running quickly, and when things go
wrong they have a helpful user group. --- and no I don't work for them !!!!
John Mulvey

{smallsort}

Quentin David Jones wrote:
So, I am looking for examples of using C++Builder 6 to make a simple server
app using sockets (rather than ask here every time I hit a snag.)
Look here www.tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/
and here beej.us/guide/bgnet/ for a downloadable book about
network programming.
These two sites have examples using pure socket code so they are usable
with C++Builder.
Michel
Michel Leunen
mailto: see my homepage.
C++Builder, BCC5.5.1 Web site:
www.leunen.com/

Re:Socket tutorials for C++Builder ?

Hi all,
Thanks for those helpful suggestions, will check them out.
Remy - I have done the examples from the QuickStart guide,
but now I see there are more examples in a folder called um, "examples" :-)
Thanks for that tip.
Q.