UniHighlighter (SynEdit)

2007-07-25 04:25:47 AM
cppbuilder82
Has anyone had any success getting the UniHighlighter
(www.delphist.com/UniHighlighter.html) component to work? I've
finally got the component installed in to BCB6 and have added it to a
project, but there are issues with it displaying. I appears to "echo" or
append characters (non-selectable) on the screen at the end of each line.
I'm also having trouble understanding how the remarks work in each section
of the highlighter.
Thanks,
Jeff

Re:UniHighlighter (SynEdit)

"Jeff" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

Use google groups or google advanced group search (and
search the students group IIRC). There's a help file out
the somewhere that I think was authored by Pete Frazer
(spelling?).
~ JD

Re:UniHighlighter (SynEdit)

Use google groups or google advanced group search (and
search the students group IIRC). There's a help file out
the somewhere that I think was authored by Pete Frazer
(spelling?).
I've dug around on Google Groups and wasn't able to find much of anything
and most of the web results are in Russian.

{smallsort}

Re:UniHighlighter (SynEdit)

"Jeff" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>[...] or google advanced group search (and search the
>students group IIRC).

I've dug around on Google Groups and wasn't able to find
much of anything [...]
I did a google advance group search and found it in less that
a minute (sorry that I didn't do that for you but I assumed
that you knew how):
groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
with all of the words: synedit help
Return only messages from the group at this location: borland.public.cppbuilder.students
which resulted in this link (and it's still valid!):
www.frasersoft.net/synedithelp.zip
(note that I did indeed spell the name wrong BUT i had the
right name! <g>).
~ JD

Re:UniHighlighter (SynEdit)

groups.google.com/advanced_group_search

which resulted in this link (and it's still valid!):

www.frasersoft.net/synedithelp.zip
Thanks a lot for the great information on SynEdit, but my issues are with
UniHighlighter. It's a third-party component that provides custom syntax
highlighting to SynEdit. Has anyone had any luck working with the
UniHighlighter component?

Re:UniHighlighter (SynEdit)

"Jeff" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Thanks a lot for the great information on SynEdit, but my
issues are with UniHighlighter. It's a third-party component
that provides custom syntax highlighting to SynEdit. Has
anyone had any luck working with the UniHighlighter
component?
Have you tried contacting the component's author yet?
Gambit

Re:UniHighlighter (SynEdit)

Have you tried contacting the component's author yet?
Yes, he says "Unfortunately, I do not support this project any more. I have
started it, but right now it is developing and supporting by other guys."
The website still lists him as the author
(www.delphist.com/About.html).

Re:UniHighlighter (SynEdit)

"Jeff" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Has anyone had any success getting the UniHighlighter
(www.delphist.com/UniHighlighter.html)
component to work?
That version of UniHighligher hasn't been updated in 4 years. SynEdit is
still actively developed, so I doubt UniHighlighter has all of the latest
changes needed to work properly anymore.
I do notice that a slightly newer project was created for UniHighlighter on
SourceForge (sourceforge.net/projects/unihighlighter/) 3 years ago,
but it doesn't have any files on it.
Gambit

Re:UniHighlighter (SynEdit)

That version of UniHighligher hasn't been updated in 4 years. SynEdit is
still actively developed, so I doubt UniHighlighter has all of the latest
changes needed to work properly anymore.
Do you perhaps know of a better way to have custom syntax highlighters?

Re:UniHighlighter (SynEdit)

Has anyone used the SynGen application in order to build their own
highlighter? I can't seem to figure out how to use the .pas file that's
generated in my BCB6 project?

Re:UniHighlighter (SynEdit)

"Jeff" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Do you perhaps know of a better way to
have custom syntax highlighters?
I don't think there is any other way, other than to write your own set of
highlighter classes.
Gambit

Re:UniHighlighter (SynEdit)

"Jeff" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Has anyone used the SynGen application in order to build
their own highlighter? I can't seem to figure out how to
use the .pas file that's generated in my BCB6 project?
You should be able to just add it to the project, then compile the .pas file
to generate a .hpp file, then #include that file into your C++ code, then
instantiate the class at runtime, and assign it to the SynEdit component you
are using. Are you having a particular problem with that?
Gambit

Re:UniHighlighter (SynEdit)

You should be able to just add it to the project, then compile the .pas
file
to generate a .hpp file, then #include that file into your C++ code, then
instantiate the class at runtime, and assign it to the SynEdit component
you
are using. Are you having a particular problem with that?
I can add the SynHighlighterSample.pas file to my project and compile it and
it generates the hpp file, but when I include it I get error E2352 (Cannot
create instance of abstract class 'TSynSampleSyn') on line 1 below.
Here's the instantiation code:
//Instantiate the highlighter and assign it
1 TSynSampleSyn hlSample = new TSynSampleSyn;
2
3 SynEdit->Highlighter = hlSample;
4 SynEdit->ClearAll;
5 SynEdit->Text = hlSample->SampleSource;

Re:UniHighlighter (SynEdit)

"Jeff" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I can add the SynHighlighterSample.pas file to my project and
compile it and it generates the hpp file, but when I include it
I get error E2352 (Cannot create instance of abstract class
'TSynSampleSyn') on line 1 below.
The compiler tells you why it is abstract exactly.
1 TSynSampleSyn hlSample = new TSynSampleSyn;
I assume you meant to declare a pointer variable instead. Also, don't
forget that it is a component, so you have to pass an Owner parameter to the
constructor:
TSynSampleSyn *hlSample = new TSynSampleSyn(this);
Gambit

Re:UniHighlighter (SynEdit)

The compiler tells you why it is abstract exactly.
Here's what the compiler states:
Class 'TSynSampleSyn' is abstract because of '_fastcall
TSynCustomHighlighter::GetEol() = 0'
What does this mean?