Possible corruption to IDE

2003-11-21 12:17:25 AM
cppbuilder21
I left the IDE up and running with my console application code
open in the code editor window.
Windows XP Pro closed the IDE and shut the system down.
When I came back and powered the system on again,
my program didn't work right any more.
It gave the same output, even when the input file changed,
or the messages in the code changed.
I thought I needed to install the IDE again,
so I called installation support
and they had me key in "Hello,World".
That worked fine, except that #include <iostream>
no longer worked (had to use iostream.h),
so we thought the IDE was okay.
Today I launched Borland C++Builder6 and did the following:
File/Close All
File/New/Other/Console Wizard
(accept defaults of C++, Console Appliction)
Got this error message:
Red circle, white x
List index out of bounds(-1)
hit [OK]
Got code editor window, deleted supplied code (pragma etc)
Created new Hello, World program (still had to use iostream.h)
Program/Compile Unit
Run/Run
good program output
File/Exit to quit IDE, No to Save changes to Project1
Got same "list index" error message
Got MS error report, did not send
Got this error message:
Application Error
red circle, white x
Exception EPrivilege in module bcb.exe at 00008DC3.
Privileged instruction.
[OK]
Then got this error message:
C++Builder6: bcb.exe Application Error
The instruction at "0x40008f98"
referenced memory at "0x01023c30".
The memory could not be "read".
Click on OK to terminate the program.
[OK]
So I rebooted.
Seemed to work fine at first,
except #include <iostream>still doesn't work
and must use #include <iostream.h>.
And when I create a new HelloWorld and then exit the IDE
it doesn't ask if I want to save changes to Project1.
When I try the whole process again,
I get the "list index" error message.
Is it corrupted?
What happened?
What should I do?
C++Builder6 developer version
Windows XP Pro
Pentium 4
Dell Inspiron 4150
Thank you, Carol

Re:Possible corruption to IDE

Carol,
I spoke with you yesterday. Sorry to see that you're running into more
problems...
Can you save the project that's experiencing the problem and send it to me?
You can e-mail me at my private e-mail address. I'll take a look at it and
see if it still misbehaves on my system. This will tell us whether the
problem is with your project or with your C++Builder installation. Be sure
to include all the necessary files from the project - .bpr, .cpp, and .h.
Also, do you have a file named default.bpr on your system? It might be in
the \Bin directory of your C++Builder installation. If you have a
default.bpr, please send me that as well.
One last thing (this probably isn't important but it's just for reference) -
you specified C++Builder 6 Developer edition, but I don't believe such an
edition exists. Could it something else, like Professional or Enterprise?
-- YH --

"Carol" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
[...] No to Save changes to Project1 [...]
Just a shot in the dark ... if you do save it - to a new
folder - does it work correctly?
I ask because my niece changed the system date so she could
see what day of the week her birthday was on but forgot to
change the date back.
By time I noticed it and corrected it, I had compiled Project1
which generated files with a future date which caused all
kinds of weird bahavior until I noticed that some of the
output (not included in the current Project1) was from an old
test.
So ... check your system date and look for any files with a
future date and try saving your tests to a seperate folder.
~ JD

{smallsort}

"JD" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
if you do save it - to a new
folder - does it work correctly?
>So ... check your system date and look for any files with a
future date and try saving your tests to a seperate folder.

JD, Thank you for the things to try. The date is fine. Turns out I did not know how to use the development environment correctly. I'll put the details in the reply to Chen.
Thank you, Carol

Re:Possible corruption to IDE

Dear Chen,
Thank you. The problem was caused by my incorrect use
of the development environment.
I did not have to uninstall/reinstall.
What I was doing wrong:
1. Program/Compile Unit
instead of Program/Project Build or Make
2. Just opening a different cpp file in the project
via File/Open
instead of using the Project Manager to
remove and add files
Thank you, Carol

Re:Possible corruption to IDE

Carol,
Thank you for letting me know. Glad you got it resolved.
-- YH --