Tooltips while debugging

2006-01-22 10:13:57 PM
cppbuilder30
Dear friends
When the program is being debugged, it shows the value of identifiers
in a tooltip. However, in a subroutine it shows only the address of an
array, if the entire array was passed in a parameter.
To solve this problem, I include a 'for' statement to copy the entire
array to an internal array, so I can display that.
Is there a more convenient way to show the contents of the array?
Another problem is the display format. Sometimes it shows characters
when I want numbers, or decimal when I want hexadecimal. Can this be
chosen?
--
Feico

Re:Tooltips while debugging

"Feico" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Is there a more convenient way to show the contents of the array?
View the input parameter in a Debug Inspector. You can then right-click on
it and specify a "Range" that is the number of items to display from the
starting address.
Gambit

Re:Tooltips while debugging

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:32:37 -0800, "Remy Lebeau \(TeamB\)"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in borland.public.cppbuilder.ide:
>Is there a more convenient way to show the contents of the array?

View the input parameter in a Debug Inspector. You can then right-click on
it and specify a "Range" that is the number of items to display from the
starting address.
Gee thanks. But er, what is a Debug Inspector? Can't find it in the
menus nor in the help file.
--
Feico

{smallsort}

Re:Tooltips while debugging

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
Feico < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Gee thanks. But er, what is a Debug Inspector? Can't find it in the
menus nor in the help file.
Run->Inspect
also useful:
Run->Evaluate/Modify Ctl-F7
--
-David

Re:Tooltips while debugging

"Feico" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Gee thanks. But er, what is a Debug Inspector?
When you right-click on an identifer while debugging, the popup-menu has an
"Inspect" item available. On some versions, it is underneath a "Debug"
submenu.
Gambit

Re:Tooltips while debugging

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 15:55:29 -0500, David Dean
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in borland.public.cppbuilder.ide:
>Gee thanks. But er, what is a Debug Inspector? Can't find it in the
>menus nor in the help file.

Run->Inspect
I can't find that
also useful:

Run->Evaluate/Modify Ctl-F7
Yes, that's exactly what I want! I should have known that earlier.
--
Feico

Re:Tooltips while debugging

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:26:28 -0800, "Remy Lebeau \(TeamB\)"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in borland.public.cppbuilder.ide:
When you right-click on an identifer while debugging, the popup-menu has an
"Inspect" item available. On some versions, it is underneath a "Debug"
submenu.
Unfortunately, there is neither. Perhaps I have yet another version
(4.0). But David's tip is fine.
--

Feico < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>>Gee thanks. But er, what is a Debug Inspector? Can't find it in the
>>menus nor in the help file.
>
>Run->Inspect

I can't find that
What version of BCB are you using? I have 6 and 2006, it is the same
in both.
--
-David