"Make" doesn't link changes in code

Version: BCB 6 Pro
O/S: Win2K Pro
I have configured my folder structure a little differently than
the default created when BCB installs. I keep my "projects"
folder on a mapped network drive, on our file server. I have
also set up my 3rd-party VCL libraries in a separate folder
structure, so I have no "projects" folder under my BCB folder.
I have adjusted all my BCB directories settings to match. It
all works correctly except for this:
If I change anything in my CODE and then MAKE my project, the
changes are ignored. The linker doesn't link the newer object
file, even though it clearly has a more recent timestamp than
the project OBJ file. I've looked at my temporary folder, and
all the .ILx files as well as the application's .OBJ file have
an older timestamp than the .OBJ file of my changed code. Why
isn't the newer .OBJ file triggering a relink?
If I change anything on my FORM, then the project is relinked
correctly, and the changes--both those on the form AND the
previous changes to the code--appear in the running app.
Can anyone duplicate this behavior? It seems to be a bug, and
I'm getting really tired of having to re-BUILD this app for
each minor change.
Many thanks,
Terry

Re:"Make" doesn't link changes in code

Hi Terry
I'm having the same problem and posted a message before I saw yours!
Like you I have my projects on a different drive to the standard Borland
installation. However I have had no problems with this at all until today,
although it has happened to me at least once before. I thought it was just
the one project but have since realised that suddenly all of my projects are
affected, so it must be some sort of global setting somewhere. Probably I
did a re-install of C++Builder to get around this when it happened before.
It all has something to do with the detection of which files have changed as
I have noticed that a straight Make keeps compiling every source file which
has changed since the system was started, even though it has not changed
since the last compile.
I will keep an eye on both our threads in the hope that there is a solution
out there somewhere.
Cheers
Bas
"TerryC" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

[...]

If you like you can try our BuilderBooster product that cures most IDE bugs.
If you are still having a problems it's possible to send you a debug version
that will tell you where the linker is picking up the incorrect object files
from.
You can get BuilderBooster from www.builderbooster.com
Please email me directly for any help or the debug version 'support at
builderbooster dot com'
Many thanks
Simon Farmer
BuilderBooster Team

{smallsort}

Re:"Make" doesn't link changes in code

TerryC wrote:
Version: BCB 6 Pro
O/S: Win2K Pro

If I change anything in my CODE and then MAKE my project, the
changes are ignored. The linker doesn't link the newer object
Terry,
I just posted a response to Bas in the thread he started on June 16
("Project make not working"). We began having this problem with BCB6 OBJ
files and Delphi7 DCU files just today.
My colleague discovered (by adding approximately 10 lines of code and
recompiling his Delphi project) that the DCU DOES get updated and
written to disk, but the file time/date stamp does not get updated. Same
thing happens for me if I add enough code to the source file to affect
the size of the OBJ file.
My colleague and I both run on WinXP, SP2, and until a couple of hours
ago had Windows Update set to Automatic Download and Install. We also
both downloaded and installed the latest ZoneAlarm update on Friday.
We have disabled ZoneAlarm, and I uninstalled the Windows updates, but
the problem persists.
Can you identify any changes in your work environment in the past couple
of days that could be a factor?
Thanks for your help in this quest to find the cause of this deeply
twisted behavior!
Kathleen Beaumont
C/NET Solutions

Kathleen < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>Version: BCB 6 Pro
>O/S: Win2K Pro
>
>If I change anything in my CODE and then MAKE my project, the
>changes are ignored. The linker doesn't link the newer object

Terry,

I just posted a response to Bas in the thread he started on June 16
("Project make not working"). We began having this problem with BCB6 OBJ
files and Delphi7 DCU files just today.

My colleague discovered (by adding approximately 10 lines of code and
recompiling his Delphi project) that the DCU DOES get updated and
written to disk, but the file time/date stamp does not get updated.
I don't think this is the same problem. In my case, the date
and time DO change, but the linker doesn't re-link the new
object file. But, oddly enough, changes to the FORM, which are
also compiled into the object file, DO trigger a re-link.
Also, this has gone on ever since I have used BCB 6, if I'm
remembering correctly. It's just been an annoyance and I
haven't really tried to solve it until now.
Thanks for the input though!
-Terry