command line compiler #3

2003-12-09 12:58:58 AM
cppbuilder91
Recently I down-loaded BC 5.5 off the web. This is a bare bones
compiler - no IDE, command line only (and no instructions
either!) As near as I can figure, it compiles/links in Win32
console mode by default when I type “bcc32 (filename)?with no
extension on the command line. But what if I want Win32 GUI? Or
DOS platform (BGI)? Or EasyWin? Or DLL? Or any of the other
preferences?
Also, is there somekind of online help I don't know about?

Re:command line compiler #3

There is no EasyWin. That is a 16 bit Windows 3.1x thing. There is no DOS.
That is a 16 bit thing. It is a 32 bit compiler which creates Win32 console
mode (text mode) and GUI mode (graphical) executables and DLL's.
A help file on using the tools was included in the download.
Other help files are posted here:
info.borland.com/techpubs/bcppbuilder/v5/updates/pro.html
The help files are references to assist in using the compiler. They are not
intended as tutorials on C, on C++ or on programming for Windows. For a
tutorial you should get a book. Some of the files are for the full compiler
and do not pertain to the command line tools. Read a file's description
before downloading it.
Turbo De{*word*81} is posted here:
www.borland.com/products/downloads/download_cbuilder.html
The information given on the make.exe utility is sparce. More detailed
documentation on that utility can be found at these links:
www.clipx.net/ng/make4/index.php
www.dmi.unict.it/~pappalar/lab3/makedoc_2.pdf
(rendered sideways for easy printing)
. Ed
news:3fd4bbe2$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Rob C. wrote:
Recently I down-loaded BC 5.5 off the web. This is a bare bones
compiler - no IDE, command line only (and no instructions
either!) As near as I can figure, it compiles/links in Win32
console mode by default when I type “bcc32 (filename)?with no
extension on the command line. But what if I want Win32 GUI? Or
DOS platform (BGI)? Or EasyWin? Or DLL? Or any of the other
preferences?
Again, look in the help file how to use a makefile. There are different
switches for GUI/console/multithread/debug as well as different import
lib or startup code to use with the compiler/linker.
Here is a generic makefile with a summary of the main switches and lib.
# Generic makefile
.autodepend
BORLAND=$(MAKEDIR)\..
# Windows
# c0w32.obj + import32.lib + cw32.lib
# Windows multi threaded
# c0w32.obj + import32.lib + cw32mt.lib
# Windows DLL
# c0d32.obj + import32.lib + cw32.lib
# Windows DLL multi threaded
# c0d32.obj + import32.lib + cw32mt.lib
# Console
# c0x32.obj + import32.lib + cw32.lib
# Console multi threaded
# c0x32.obj + import32.lib + cw32mt.lib
STARTUPOBJ=c0x32.obj
LIBS=import32.lib cw32.lib
INCLUDEPATH=$(BORLAND)\include
LIBPATH=$(BORLAND)\lib
# Summary of the -tW options:
# -tW Windows GUI
# -tWC Windows Console
# -tWD DLL
# -tWM Multi-threaded
# -tWR uses dynamic RTL
# -tWV uses VCL
# c0d32.obj DLL startup module
# c0d32w.obj DLL startup module, Wide-char version
# c0d32x.obj DLL startup module, no exception handling
# c0pkg32.obj Package startup module
# c0w32.obj GUI EXE startup module
# c0w32w.obj GUI EXE startup module, Wide-char version
# c0x32.obj 32-bit console-mode EXE startup module
# c0x32w.obj 32-bit console-mode EXE startup module, Wide-char version
# The d stands for dll, the w for windows GUI exe's, and the x is for
console
# mode exe's.
#
# The RTL libs are:
# cp32mt.lib VCL-compliant C RTL multithreaded static library
# cp32mti.lib VCL-compliant import library for multithreaded C RTL
# cp3250mt.dll
# cw32.lib RTL single-threaded static library
# cw32i.lib Import library for RTL cw3250.dll
# cw32mt.lib RTL multi-threaded static library
# cw32mti.lib Import library for multithreaded RTL cw3250mt.dll
# The 'p' in 'cp' means pascal. No need for that one. The 'i's stand for
# import library. mt stands for multi-threaded. For simplicity, you can stic
# to cw32.lib and cw32mt.lib for apps compiled with the free bc55.
CFLAGS=-c -v -w -H=test.csm -I$(INCLUDEPATH) -L$(LIBPATH) -tWC
# change -ap to -aa for windows GUI. -ap is for console applications in
the following
# line.
LFLAGS=-ap -v -Tpe -L$(LIBPATH)
RFLAGS= -32
AllFiles: test.exe
File1.obj: File1.cpp
bcc32 $(CFLAGS) File1.cpp
File2.res: File2.rc
brcc32 $(RFLAGS) File2.rc
test.exe: File1.obj File2.res
ilink32 $(LFLAGS) $(STARTUPOBJ) File1.obj, test.exe, , $(LIBS),
,File2.res
HTH
Michel
Michel Leunen