non-standard Baud rates

2005-04-22 02:26:21 AM
cppbuilder7
Will the API allow me to set non-standard baud rates? I have to write a
program to monitor a line set at baud 50000. My third-party library won't
allow 50000 and I'm starting to fear that I will have to break down and do
this via windows API. Will the API allow this, or will I be spinning my
wheels? (Dunno why they used 50000 baud and I have not control over that)

Re:non-standard Baud rates

The UART chip or IC macro operates off of a fixed frequency. The baud
rate is set by loading a divisor for that frequency. As the highest
possible frequency is 115,200 the closest you can get to 50,000 is
57,600 baud. Given the vagarities of serial communications that has a
good probability of working with 50,000 at the other end. Just pay
close attention to whatever check characters, check sums or crc's the
other end uses.
If you do this with the Windows API, assigning the value CBR_57600 to
the BaudRate DWORD member of the DCB structure is the setting of which
I am speaking.
. Ed
Ron Sawyer wrote in message
news:4267f055$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Will the API allow me to set non-standard baud rates? I have
to write a program to monitor a line set at baud 50000. My
third-party library won't allow 50000 and I'm starting to fear
that I will have to break down and do this via windows API.
Will the API allow this, or will I be spinning my wheels?
(Dunno why they used 50000 baud and I have not control over that)

Re:non-standard Baud rates

Thanks Ed.

{smallsort}