would like info on a monitoring type program

2007-02-19 12:46:51 AM
cppbuilder109
Haven't been here in awhile. I would like to get some info here if
possible. Is there a program out there that would allow for a program to be
monitored to make sure it starts on reboot or cold start, and if it does not
start allow for an option to start this process. Haven't googled yet but I
intend to. Just wondering if any one has any specific one that is usable or
any other suggestions.
Thanks Tom

Re:would like info on a monitoring type program

"tom" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Haven't been here in awhile. I would like to get some info here if
possible. Is there a program out there that would allow for a program to be
monitored to make sure it starts on reboot or cold start, and if it does not
start allow for an option to start this process.
I don't have an answer, but I'd have to point out that the program that
checks that the program has started may also fail to start, so you'll
need a program to check the program that checks the program.
(Usually, people try to make sure the real program starts.)
Alan Bellingham
--
Team Thai Kingdom
<url:www.borland.com/newsgroups/>Borland newsgroup descriptions

Re:would like info on a monitoring type program

Thank you Alan Bellingham for the great insight on your answer. I didn't
know that one had to do that. Now that I have had my Monday morning chuckle
can anyone give me any more information that might point me to a program
that would allow me to do what I originally posted. That is to allow me to
possibly start a process that did not start on a reboot or cold start of my
computer. Thank you

{smallsort}

Re:would like info on a monitoring type program

Hello, 'no'
Thank you Alan Bellingham for the great insight on your answer. I didn't
know that one had to do that.
What actually is your problem?
How do you know you actually *have* a problem?
If you do have an excessively flakey program that tends to fall over,
there's not a lot you *can* do except write a non-flakey program.
Is the excessively buggy program one you've written, or one you have
from elsewhere?
You ask a lot of questions, but without giving very much information on
which to base answers. We're not trying to get at you, but it's not easy
to help when the information supplied is so sketchy. And frequently,
people get so involved in minutiae that they forget to step back and
look at the big picture.
Alan Bellingham
--
10th Anniversary ACCU Conference: 11-14 April 2007 - Oxford, UK
(Booking now open: see accu.org/index.php/conferences for details)

Re:would like info on a monitoring type program

Alan is not familiar with a watchdog type application....
you need to enum the running procs....
www.codeproject.com/threads/w32process.asp
restarting
SECURITY_DESCRIPTOR sd;
SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES sa;
InitializeSecurityDescriptor(&sd, SECURITY_DESCRIPTOR_REVISION);
SetSecurityDescriptorDacl(&sd, true, NULL, false);
sa.nLength = sizeof(SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES);
sa.bInheritHandle = false;
sa.lpSecurityDescriptor = &sd;
STARTUPINFO si;
memset(&si, 0, sizeof(STARTUPINFO));
si.cb = sizeof(STARTUPINFO);
PROCESS_INFORMATION pi;
if( CreateProcess(NULL,
AppIdentity.c_str(), // passed in ansistring
NULL, //security
NULL, // security
TRUE, //inherits handles
0,
0,
0,
&si,
&pi) )
{}
sooner or later you will realize a need to monitor services also. see
OpenSCManager and related APIs
"tom" wrote in message
Thank you Alan Bellingham for the great insight on your answer. I
didn't know that one had to do that. Now that I have had my Monday morning
chuckle can anyone give me any more information that might point me to a
program that would allow me to do what I originally posted. That is to
allow me to possibly start a process that did not start on a reboot or
cold start of my computer. Thank you

Re:would like info on a monitoring type program

Thank you.