Re: Danny Thorpe's comments on BCB in the Delphi.non-tech group

2004-06-09 06:40:58 AM
cppbuilder92
I R T < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
{*word*30}edcompany.com already has a few entries on Borland.
Mostly documenting the unending layoffs, which answers the
questions about why they don't have the resources to keep
BCB going. They just don't have the people - and they no
longer have the customer base to get the money to get the
people.

Re:Re: Danny Thorpe's comments on BCB in the Delphi.non-tech group

I R T wrote:
Randall Parker < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
>This leads me to wonder just what those resource constraints are.
The C++ team consists of one deaf mute programmer who reads only Inuit and
a blind seeing eye dog with a weakness for coffee ?
My fear is that there are so few developers assigend to C++ in Borland that BCB v9 is
either a distant prospect or bound to continue the BCB tradition of serious quality
problems that never get addressed well enough.
Do the C++ developers have to get out another version of BCBX before even starting
most of the BCB v9 work?
If they can't release a plan then does that mean that many of the parts of the plan
haven't even had programmers assigned to start working on those parts?
Is BCB v9 more of a management planning exercise than a real coding activity in
Borland at this point?

Re:Re: Danny Thorpe's comments on BCB in the Delphi.non-tech group

Randall Parker < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Do the C++ developers have to get out another version of BCBX before
even starting most of the BCB v9 work?
If any C++ developers are still left using Borland's products, they deserve
what is coming to them.

{smallsort}

"Duane Hebert" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>It would be of no help to you if we published an open letter today that
>declared plans that we know are not feasible. The C++ team has been
>working furiously for weeks to formulate a rational, achievable roadmap
>that works within their resource constraints.

But we've been waiting for nearly a year at this point. What have these
guys been working on since that last "open letter"?
Exactly, my thoughts when I read that. Almost a year since that radical
change in Borland c++ product line and they still have no plan, no vision to
share with world. Companies, like people, - without vision perish.
And why did they make that change in the first place? If you don't have
anything to say to the world, why shout from the rooftops? Sure, people
would be alarmed by that. I'm amazed at the incompetence of their
management, conducting such self-destructive policy.
Have we the courage and the will to face up to the immorality and
discrimination of the progressive tax, and demand a return to traditional
proportionate taxation? - Ronald Reagan

Re:Re: Danny Thorpe's comments on BCB in the Delphi.non-tech group

Malcolm Smith wrote:
What gets me is that they are talking about a BCB9 !!! to bring it
inline with D9. Didn't they do the same thing when BCB1 jumped to
BCB3....now we (BCB developers) are falling further and further
behind.
Not if BCB9 is released about the same time as D9 and has the
equivalent features. Unfortunately until the open letter appears no one
knows what features it is going to contain nor when it might be
released.
--
Andrue Cope [TeamB]
[Bicester, Uk]

I R T wrote:
If any C++ developers are still left using Borland's products, they
deserve what is coming to them.
That seems a little harsh, to me.
--

Duane Hebert wrote:
But we've been waiting for nearly a year at this point. What have
these guys been working on since that last "open letter"?
This is not the same open letter. This letter relates to a change of
policy that appears to have occurred earlier this year. Unfortunately
the longer the delay goes on the closer we come to having waited almost
as long for this letter. If I had a better answer I'd give it but..I
don't.
--

Andrue Cope [TeamB] wrote:

This is not the same open letter. This letter relates to a change of
policy that appears to have occurred earlier this year. Unfortunately
the longer the delay goes on the closer we come to having waited almost
as long for this letter. If I had a better answer I'd give it but..I
don't.

Yes but surely they've had some sort of plan since the release of CBX
1.0 last year but these comments make it sound like they still haven't
decided what to do next.
Russell
PS: (When did you become TeamB?)

Re:Re: Danny Thorpe's comments on BCB in the Delphi.non-tech group

>Unfortunately when most of us signed up, Borland was a company with a
>future.

I think Borland still is.
It's looking increasingly unlikely we will be using Borland on our next
product. Borland will be consigned to the maintenence of existing software.
I was handed the MIPSPro compiler manual and C/C++ spec and errata and told
to eat my heart out. Moving all the processing tools (90% of which are
Borland based) to the Origin 2000 servers.
For the client end I think we will be using .NET or simple MFC - depends if
our main client has plans to upgrade to a 2GHz minimum systems with 512mb
ram:-(
G.

Re:Re: Danny Thorpe's comments on BCB in the Delphi.non-tech group

Yes but surely they've had some sort of plan since the release of CBX
1.0 last year but these comments make it sound like they still haven't
decided what to do next.
<supposition>
They did, but CBX didn't do as well as planned, and the new fangled RAD tool
wasn't as easy as they hoped/far along as they wanted, and a key figure left
before he was booted. Hence a new plan was needed.
</supposition>
They have taken too long over it.
PS: (When did you become TeamB?)
He's been TeamB for ages hasn't he?
G.

Russell Hind wrote:
Yes but surely they've had some sort of plan since the release of CBX
1.0 last year but these comments make it sound like they still
haven't decided what to do next.
I think they had a plan but that plan was changed in response to
developer feedback. Trust me that TeamB have been passing on your
concerns and adding a fair few of their own. I've been pretty outspoken
on the subject here myself and was still invited into TeamB.
PS: (When did you become TeamB?)
Last Friday. I'm wondering if they wanted me more for my cancelling
abilities than my technical expertise :)
I'm now trying to push for a moratorium on Borland bashing here or at
least a period of relative quiet. It's entirely my own idea (I
genuinely don't know why Borland are keeping quiet) but I can't help
feeling that if the developers were to back off a little it might help
things.
No one likes confronting an angry audience and any obstacles we can
remove from the path of communication are surely worth removing.
--

"Andrue Cope [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:40c6c737$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Duane Hebert wrote:

>But we've been waiting for nearly a year at this point. What have
>these guys been working on since that last "open letter"?

This is not the same open letter. This letter relates to a change of
policy that appears to have occurred earlier this year. Unfortunately
the longer the delay goes on the closer we come to having waited almost
as long for this letter. If I had a better answer I'd give it but..I
don't.
This is getting ludicrous Andrue, don't you think?
BTW, What's with the TeamB tag? Congratulations.

Re:Re: Danny Thorpe's comments on BCB in the Delphi.non-tech group

It means that he's got to leave Team Tai Kingdom now <g>
Pete

At 11:06:38, 09.06.2004, Graham Reeds wrote:
>>Unfortunately when most of us signed up, Borland was a company with
>>a future.
>
>I think Borland still is.

It's looking increasingly unlikely we will be using Borland on our next
product.
That may be true, but that doesn't change the future of Borland much. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"A husband is what is left of the lover after the nerve has been

Duane Hebert wrote:
This is getting ludicrous Andrue, don't you think?
Yes. I thought it was stupid before I accepted the TeamB invitation and
said as much here. OTOH I always tried (and continue to try) not to be
offensive. I didn't call them stupid just for the sake of name calling.
I did so because I felt it was a reasonable description of their
actions.
Being a member of TeamB doesn't prevent me from saying that I still
think they have been stupid. The only thing it changes is that I can
tell them directly if I feel the need. As it happens I don't feel the
need. They *are* aware that there is an issue. The tricky bit is
getting them to deal with it. Right now I think that calming everyone
down and giving both sides a little breathing space is the best we can
do - it's then up to Borland.