Re: A recomendation for reasonable version control system.

2005-03-01 08:52:07 AM
cppbuilder78
Hi folks,
So far StarTeam seems to be falling out of favor, as it does not seem
to support pending off-line tasks, requires Java for its configuration
utilities, and has fairly clumsy UI at least under windows. Actually
very un-intuitive one, and practically non configurable. Looks almost
like a proof of concept UI rather than a real one :-( . Even such basic
tasks as Diff seem to be buried wall inside the menus with cryptic names
:-( . In addition it has complex and buggy installation. It failed to
install properly on almost clean system (Only C++ Builder 6 Standard on
it). It has some good sides however. It highlights relatively well the
files that are not checked in, which is a great feature.
TeamCocherence looks great and seems to do mast tasks very easy, but
has a fair amount of annoying UI bugs. It is a fair candidate however. I
wish they spend some time to really polish the UI and make it a bit more
stable.
Currently looking at Perforce. Has great features, but seems to have
difficulties configuring/creating repository without affecting the
working directories. I will keep looking into it.
I will be looking at ClearCase and few other options as well.
Cheers,
Boian Mitov
Boian Mitov wrote:
Hi folks,

Looking for replacing VSS with something a bit more reasonable.
It has to have as a bare minimum the VSS capabilities, at least a better
GUI, and to allow easy remote work, and it should not involve Java by
any mean.
I have checked CVS and SVN already, as well as Co-Op. I am not sure if I
can install StarTeam without Java. I will be looking into it next.
Any recommendations will be appreciated.
Cheers,
Boian Mitov

Re:Re: A recomendation for reasonable version control system.

Perforce also lost as it does support only 1:1 image for the files.
It has some great features however including a great off-line task
management!
Boian Mitov wrote:
Currently looking at Perforce. Has great features, but seems to have
difficulties configuring/creating repository without affecting the
working directories. I will keep looking into it.

Re:Re: A recomendation for reasonable version control system.

Roddy Pratt wrote:
How about 'performanter' (as in "Delphi is performanter than BCB"?)...
LOL!
Yes, English *is* a dynamic language, contrary to some people's
reactions to new uses of words.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

{smallsort}

Boian Mitov wrote:
Perforce also lost as it does support only 1:1 image for the files.
What does this mean, no incremental-diff storage?
--
Kristofer

Re:Re: A recomendation for reasonable version control system.

No it is not that bad ;-) . It lacks shared files, so there is only
1:1 relationship between a file in a working folder and a repository
file. For many people this is not a problem, and Perforce is a very
reasonable product, however in our case it will not do the job :-( .
Pity I kind of liked the product.
Cheers,
Boian

Boian Mitov wrote:
So far StarTeam seems to be falling out of favor, as it does not
seem to support pending off-line tasks,
I got a response from John Sileski, the Starteam product manager about
this one:
"StarTeam working files provide this ability for the file component but
for all other components the user must be connected to the StarTeam
Server."
The rest of the response is mine?
requires Java for its configuration utilities,
What's the problem with Java?
and has fairly clumsy UI at least under windows.
I don't find it that clumsy. Could you be more specific? Are you using
the Java cross-platform client or the native Windows one?
Actually very un-intuitive one, and practically non
configurable.
You can build an entirely custom client for it. Again, could you be
more specific?
Looks almost like a proof of concept UI rather than a
real one :-( .
There's also clients inside Delphi 2005, JBuilder, Visual Studio,
Eclipse, a web client ... there are also .NET based components for the
various parts of the .NET-based client (used inside Delphi 2005) that
will be available for other people to consume.
Even such basic tasks as Diff seem to be buried wall
inside the menus with cryptic names
I just click on the delta symbol on the toolbar, or use the context
sensitive right mouse click menu. Where are you going for it?
Thanks for your feedback, btw.
--

John Kaster (Borland) wrote:
The rest of the response is mine?
LOL -- wrong punctuation symbol. The rest of this response is
definitely mine! <g>
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it's not here, it's not happening: ec.borland.com

Re:Re: A recomendation for reasonable version control system.

Hi John,
I was testing the server and the client on the same system. The
server management utility installs and requires Java! I do not allow
Java on any of my systems if I can avoid it. Java spells problems to me
based on very bad past experience. Any product that requires at least
partially Java in it is banned... In this case StarTeam is very much
banned... I may still consider it if there are no other valid choices if
I dedicate a system for the server, and because the Java utility does
not run all the time, but this single utility placed the StarTeam on the
bottom of my options out of the box. At least I was careful enough not
to install it on my main system, but on a virtual machine, so no harm
has been done ;-) .
Please let me know if Borland has a version of StarTeam without any
Java, and I may consider giving it a second try. For now I am looking at
alternatives.
With best regards,
Boian Mitov
John Kaster (Borland) wrote:
John Kaster (Borland) wrote:

>The rest of the response is mine?

LOL -- wrong punctuation symbol. The rest of this response is
definitely mine! <g>

Re:Re: A recomendation for reasonable version control system.

Hi John,
I did I mention the lack of off-line support? When I am not connected to
the server I don't seem to be able to schedule tasks, or browse parts of
the repository. Even SVN seems to be ahead in this area.
Cheers,
Boian

Boian Mitov wrote:
Please let me know if
Borland has a version of StarTeam without any Java,
No, StarTeam requires Java. We have absolutely no plans to create a
version of StarTeam that does not include Java.
--

Boian Mitov wrote:
I did I mention the lack of off-line support?
yes, and I replied.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it's not here, it's not happening: ec.borland.com

Re:Re: A recomendation for reasonable version control system.

Thank you John,
I have absolutely no plans to deploy a Java based product. Thank you!
With best regards,
Boian
John Kaster (Borland) wrote:
No, StarTeam requires Java. We have absolutely no plans to create a
version of StarTeam that does not include Java.

Re:Re: A recomendation for reasonable version control system.

Hi Folks,
Anybody with experience with ClearCase? I am already badly impressed
by the difficulties to find even the price of the product/licensing and
completely unable to find evaluation options. I am still going down the
list evaluating each product individually.
Cheers,
Boian

Re:Re: A recomendation for reasonable version control system.

Thank you! I got it to work yesterday. It has some little hiccups when
synching. Also have not been able to share a file across projects or
dirs.
Select a file in the right-hand pane and start dragging it - then press
ctrl before you drop it into a folder. It will ask if you want to share it.

Re:Re: A recomendation for reasonable version control system.

Hi David,
Thank you! I figured it out couple of days ago. Very nice product,
but needs a little bit of polishing. Otherwise very nice interface. One
of the best alternatives I have seen so far! It is probably an young
product, but with huge potential, and even if I decide to go with
something else, I will keep an aye on it. It has great ideas in it!
Cheers,
Boian