Porting 16-bit OWL application to 32-bit OWL/VCL application in Borland C++ Builder 3.0/6.0

2007-02-01 01:52:27 PM
cppbuilder51
Hi All,
I am in need to port a project from Borland C++ 4.5 to Borland C++
Builder 6.0.
It uses OWL classes to create the FORMS & WINDOWS to get the GUI part.
Now those classes in OWL libraries are outdated.(As many Websites
says) Now it has been replaced with VCL in Borland C++ Builder
Versions.
Now I have to use the same resources from Borland C++ 4.5 to C++
Builder. Is there any way to use the same header files that they had
used in Borland C++ 4.5 or can I get new header of the same for
Borland C++ Builder 6.0.
The time limit is too short for me to accomplish this task. Please
help me out.
Project Details
CPP Files -- 403
C Files -- 200
.RC Files -- 66 (Resource files to get the GUI) This is
where I am finding difficulty to port.

Re:Porting 16-bit OWL application to 32-bit OWL/VCL application in Borland C++ Builder 3.0/6.0

--
Vijay

Hello,
OWL and VCL are quite different frameworks, and it's not an easy task
to port a GUI from one to the other ... it will be very close to
rewriting from scratch.
You cannot convert directly OWL dialog resources to VCL forms,
you can only transfer bitmaps to be used in the VCL application.
So, my advice is to either write the GUI from scratch, just looking
at functionality of the old OWL application, or port to OWLNext instead.
Jogy

{smallsort}

Re:Porting 16-bit OWL application to 32-bit OWL/VCL application in Borland C++ Builder 3.0/6.0

OK, I will try to know the functionality of the existing GUI and will
re-write in VCL.
Vijay
On Feb 1, 2:28 pm, Jogy < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Vijay wrote:
>Hi All,

>I am in need to port a project from Borland C++ 4.5 to Borland C++
>Builder 6.0.
>It uses OWL classes to create the FORMS & WINDOWS to get the GUI part.
>Now those classes in OWL libraries are outdated.(As many Websites
>says) Now it has been replaced with VCL in Borland C++ Builder
>Versions.

>Now I have to use the same resources from Borland C++ 4.5 to C++
>Builder. Is there any way to use the same header files that they had
>used in Borland C++ 4.5 or can I get new header of the same for
>Borland C++ Builder 6.0.

>The time limit is too short for me to accomplish this task. Please
>help me out.

>Project Details
>CPP Files -- 403
>C Files -- 200

>.RC Files -- 66 (Resource files to get the GUI) This is
>where I am finding difficulty to port.

>--
>Vijay

Hello,

OWL and VCL are quite different frameworks, and it's not an easy task
to port a GUI from one to the other ... it will be very close to
rewriting from scratch.

You cannot convert directly OWL dialog resources to VCL forms,
you can only transfer bitmaps to be used in the VCL application.

So, my advice is to either write the GUI from scratch, just looking
at functionality of the old OWL application, or port to OWLNext instead.

Jogy- Hide quoted text -

Re:Porting 16-bit OWL application to 32-bit OWL/VCL application in Borland C++ Builder 3.0/6.0

Is there any sample available to know how old IDE files compile the RC
files to get a GUI form.
If so, let me know the link to study.
Please help me!!
Vijay
On Feb 1, 4:52 pm, "Vijay" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
OK, I will try to know the functionality of the existing GUI and will
re-write in VCL.

Vijay

On Feb 1, 2:28 pm, Jogy < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>Vijay wrote:
>>Hi All,

>>I am in need to port a project from Borland C++ 4.5 to Borland C++
>>Builder 6.0.
>>It uses OWL classes to create the FORMS & WINDOWS to get the GUI part.
>>Now those classes in OWL libraries are outdated.(As many Websites
>>says) Now it has been replaced with VCL in Borland C++ Builder
>>Versions.

>>Now I have to use the same resources from Borland C++ 4.5 to C++
>>Builder. Is there any way to use the same header files that they had
>>used in Borland C++ 4.5 or can I get new header of the same for
>>Borland C++ Builder 6.0.

>>The time limit is too short for me to accomplish this task. Please
>>help me out.

>>Project Details
>>CPP Files -- 403
>>C Files -- 200

>>.RC Files -- 66 (Resource files to get the GUI) This is
>>where I am finding difficulty to port.

>>--
>>Vijay

>Hello,

>OWL and VCL are quite different frameworks, and it's not an easy task
>to port a GUI from one to the other ... it will be very close to
>rewriting from scratch.

>You cannot convert directly OWL dialog resources to VCL forms,
>you can only transfer bitmaps to be used in the VCL application.

>So, my advice is to either write the GUI from scratch, just looking
>at functionality of the old OWL application, or port to OWLNext instead.

>Jogy- Hide quoted text -

Re:Porting 16-bit OWL application to 32-bit OWL/VCL application in Borland C++ Builder 3.0/6.0

Hello Vijay:
I suggest you to move to BC5.02/OWL. It's a pretty good 32 bit compiler, not
an 'state-of-the-art', but the migration will
be easier than moving to another tool/enviroment (C++ has evolved in the
last 10 years).
BC5.02 also support create VCL forms in a OWL application.
I believe this is best way to get a 32 bits version of your application.
After that you can move to OWLNExt and select your prefered compiler (MSVC6,
BCBuilder6, VS2003, BDS2006, etc).
For newer development I suggest BDS2006.
Saludos
Sebastian
"Vijay" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escribi?en el mensaje
[...]

On Feb 2, 2:03 am, "Sebastian Ledesma [Solidyne Labs]"
<labo[no_sp@m]solidyne1.com>wrote:
Hello Vijay:

I suggest you to move to BC5.02/OWL. It's a pretty good 32 bit compiler, not
an 'state-of-the-art', but the migration will
be easier than moving to another tool/enviroment (C++ has evolved in the
last 10 years).
BC5.02 also support create VCL forms in a OWL application.
Or do what I did which I found fairly easy:
Ported the code to OWLNext - this has to be your first step - but do
all the compiling in Visual Studio 2003 (or 2005). I found that the
Visual Studio environment crashes heaps less (ie., never) compared to
BC5.02 and BCB 5. To keep reusing all of your resources as they are
now you still manage your .rc file from BC5.02 IDE (which is
definitely a brilliant IDE BTW - still don't think BCB 5 IDE is as
good - I haven't upgraded to 6 cos I changed over to the dark side a
while back).
I still think Borland should never have bothered trying to evangelise
the world to Pascal and VCL and just made a GUI builder environment
that worked with the excellent OWL framework - but what do I know -
I'm just someone who used to convince every company I ever contracted
to in the 1990's to switch to Borland compilers - and then they
dropped OWL - which made me look great heh!

Re:Porting 16-bit OWL application to 32-bit OWL/VCL application in Borland C++ Builder 3.0/6.0

"golfman" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escribi?en el mensaje
[...]

I was using MSVC6 with MFC in some projects last year. MFC is very crude,
but you have a lot of examples (several of them are buggy :-) ).
I prefer much more OWL with BC502. The only thing I miss is the lack of
ActiveX controls.
Borland dropped OWL too fast, and they losed customers in such decision.
In the other way: VCL is great, I hope that Codegear shines with this tool.
Saludos
Sebastian