BDS2006: Separate newsgroups?

2006-12-10 06:00:44 AM
cppbuilder34
Hello all,
what does the community think about own BDS2006-newsgroups?
Thanks for your comments
Udo

Re:BDS2006: Separate newsgroups?

Udo Weik wrote:

what does the community think about own BDS2006-newsgroups?
Why? What benefit do you see in having to post to version-specific groups in
order to get help on, say, using a TComboBox, or a TIBSQL component, or
asking questions about a language feature such as sets or dynamic arrays or
virtual methods?
--
Wayne Niddery - Winwright, Inc (www.winwright.ca)
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can

Re:BDS2006: Separate newsgroups?

Hello Wayne,
>what does the community think about own BDS2006-newsgroups?

Why? What benefit do you see in having to post to version-specific groups in
order to get help on, say, using a TComboBox, or a TIBSQL component, or
asking questions about a language feature such as sets or dynamic arrays or
virtual methods?
that are specific questions, which can be handled very well by the current groups.
I think more on common issues, e. g. IDE-related ones.
Greetings
Udo

{smallsort}

Udo Weik wrote:
that are specific questions, which can be handled very well by the
current groups. I think more on common issues, e. g. IDE-related
ones.
There is already a group for IDE related questions.
borland.public.delphi.ide.general.
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

Re:BDS2006: Separate newsgroups?

Palle Meinert wrote:
borland.public.cppbuilder.ide
borland.public.csharpbuilder.ide.general

which I think is Udo's point
So he's really asking to consolidate some existing groups. Fair point.
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

+
borland.public.cppbuilder.ide
borland.public.csharpbuilder.ide.general
which I think is Udo's point
/Palle

"Udo Weik" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
what does the community think about own BDS2006-newsgroups?
Unnecessary. The existing newsgroups work just fine for BDS. Postings
regarding specific personalities belong in the existing language-oriented
newsgroups (cppbuilder, delphi, etc). Postings regarding the IDE itself can
go to the IDE newsgroup of either language. There is no need to clutter the
server with duplicate newsgroups.
Gambit

Re:BDS2006: Separate newsgroups?

>what does the community think about own BDS2006-newsgroups?

Unnecessary. The existing newsgroups work just fine for BDS. Postings
regarding specific personalities belong in the existing language-oriented
newsgroups (cppbuilder, delphi, etc). Postings regarding the IDE itself
can
go to the IDE newsgroup of either language. There is no need to clutter
the
server with duplicate newsgroups.
Disagree, general IDE posts get skattered in different newsgroups. There
are
4 IDE newsgroups on this server, one for each BDS personality. Many/most
bugs affect all personalities, so consolidating them to one newsgroup would
make things alot easier.
He has a point :)
- Nate.

Palle Meinert wrote:
>There is already a group for IDE related questions.
>borland.public.delphi.ide.general.

+
borland.public.cppbuilder.ide
borland.public.csharpbuilder.ide.general

which I think is Udo's point
But these are not based on version, they are based on *product* and were
added before the products were consolidated together into BDS. If he's
asking to drop these and consolidate them, I would agree as those using
those products can still get help from a consolidated group. However it
sounds like he's advocating the opposite - *more* separate groups.
--
Wayne Niddery - Winwright, Inc (www.winwright.ca)
"Democracy, without the guarantee of liberty, is merely a method of

Re:BDS2006: Separate newsgroups?

Personally I'd like to see a new structure but I'm not sure what that
structure should be. With the addition of the Turbo line things would be
confusing if we had "bcb", "delphi", "bds", "turbo", etc. roots. If a
developer uses Turbo C++ should they ask questions in bds, bcb, or turbo?
Some amount of separation would be nice but that also means more areas to
look for help (and to support) and a greater possibility of
cross/multi-posting.
One alternative is to create distinct areas by operation and let the
"personalities" intermix and only create product newsgroups for installation
and IDE questions. This is just a structure off the top of my head to
demonstrate a possibly more efficient newsgroup structure:
[codegear | borland].public
.ide
.bds
.cppbuilder
.delphi
.jbuilder
.turbo { this one might be best in BDS since they are the same }
.install
.bds
[...]
.language
.cpp
.csharp
.java
.pascal
.vcl
.components
.using
.writing
.students
- Clayton

Re:BDS2006: Separate newsgroups?

Hello all,
I'm back - maybe my suggestion was a little bit misleading.
What I want is more a consolidating of newsgroups, e. g. the
IDE-related ones and *.non-technical (maybe others) - I have
asked here and additionally in
borland.public.cppbuilder.non-technical
Pls. take a look at the opinions there, too - THE typical problem -
of course I always have a guilty conscience when I multipost/
crosspost (yes, I HAVE)...
Thanks and greetings
Udo

Re:BDS2006: Separate newsgroups?

Hello all,
I'm back - maybe my suggestion was a little bit misleading.
What I want is more a consolidating of newsgroups, e. g. the
IDE-related ones and *.non-technical (maybe others) - I have
asked here and additionally in
borland.public.delphi.non-technical