Help with Linker Error?

2006-09-14 07:57:13 AM
cppbuilder32
Hello,
I am porting applications from BCB5 to BDS2006 (C++), and on some apps, but
not all, I'm getting the error below.
[Linker Fatal Error] Fatal: Unable to open file 'FXCSTRFUNC.OBJ'
- There are no unresolved functions, just this one linker error.
- There are no explicit references to such a file, library, or object.
- There is no such file anywhere on my disk.
- I'm building clean, i.e. deleting all existing obj's, etc.
I've got two very similar projects, one that gets the error and one that
does not. The two projects have the same include and library paths, so I
think they're linking all the same library files, etc. and I can't find any
differences that seem to relate to this error.
Can anyone tell me what is wrong, or what to do next to trouble-shoot?
Thanks,
Joe

Re:Help with Linker Error?

In article <45089adb$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Joe Pasquariello" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
[Linker Fatal Error] Fatal: Unable to open file 'FXCSTRFUNC.OBJ'
<snip>
Can anyone tell me what is wrong, or what to do next to trouble-shoot?
1) look for #pragma link "FXCSTRFUNC" in your source code
2) delete any you find.
3) check the bdsproj/bpr file for FXCSTRFUNC
4) delete any you find.
5) delete all .obj, .csm, etc. files
6) build all
--
-David
Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?

Re:Help with Linker Error?

Hi David,
Thanks. I have done all of those things. There is no reference to FXCSTRFUNC
anywhere in any source file or in the project file. I have deleted
everything and done 100% clean build. Any other ideas? There must be some
way of looking at intermediate files to figure out what is generating a
requirement to link that file.
Joe
"David Dean" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
In article <45089adb$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Joe Pasquariello" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>[Linker Fatal Error] Fatal: Unable to open file 'FXCSTRFUNC.OBJ'
<snip>
>Can anyone tell me what is wrong, or what to do next to trouble-shoot?

1) look for #pragma link "FXCSTRFUNC" in your source code
2) delete any you find.
3) check the bdsproj/bpr file for FXCSTRFUNC
4) delete any you find.
5) delete all .obj, .csm, etc. files
6) build all

--
-David

Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?

{smallsort}

Re:Help with Linker Error?

David,
I searched for all "csm" files, and I found that when I build BDS projects,
a file named "vcl100.csm" is created in my CBuilder5 folder. Is that a clue?
I still have BCB5 installed.

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Joe Pasquariello" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
I searched for all "csm" files, and I found that when I build BDS projects,
a file named "vcl100.csm" is created in my CBuilder5 folder. Is that a clue?
I still have BCB5 installed.
the .csm files are a cache of your precompiled headers. The default
is to put them in a $(BCB) subdirectory. This is one of the settings I
change in every new project.
Project->Options->Precompiled headers->Specify the name of the file:
And I enter the project name.csm
--
-David
Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?

Re:Help with Linker Error?

Hi David,
Thanks. After my last message, I looked into the Precompiled Header options
and saw that the CBuilder5 folder was the specified destination. I changed
that, so now I'm sure that the csm file is not an issue, but the problem
remains. Any other ideas or suggestions?

In article <45098216$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Joe Pasquariello" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Thanks. After my last message, I looked into the Precompiled Header options
and saw that the CBuilder5 folder was the specified destination. I changed
that, so now I'm sure that the csm file is not an issue, but the problem
remains. Any other ideas or suggestions?
Are you sure there are not more intermediate files? let me dig for
the search string I use....
*.#* *.il* *.obj *.tds *.csm *.dcu
--
-David
Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?

Re:Help with Linker Error?

There are definitely no files of any of those types within my project
folders. As I said, a .csm files does get created, but I have deleted it and
watched it be recreated, so I know there's not an old one getting in the
way.
I wasn't sure where to post this question, so it first was on the IDE
newsgroup, now this one, and I've just realized that there is a "migration"
newsgroup where people are posting questions about moving projects from BCBx
to BDS.
Is there any general information you can share about what must be true for
this error to occur that might give me a clue as to where to look next?