Need help making a standalone exe

2003-11-11 03:47:33 AM
cppbuilder87
I'm having trouble getting Borland C++Builder 5 to package all the
required DLLs and such with the exe when it builds. I have unchecked
"Build with Runtime Packages" under Project Options->Packages, as well
as "Use Dynamic RTL" in Project Options->Linker. I thought that this
was how I did this in the past, but it is not working now. Am I missing
something?

Re:Need help making a standalone exe

"Frozen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I have unchecked "Build with Runtime Packages" under Project
Options->Packages, as well as "Use Dynamic RTL" in Project
Options->Linker. I thought that this was how I did this in the past
That is the correct way to go.
but it is not working now.
Did you do a full rebuild? Are you using any ActiveX or Database controls?
Gambit

Re:Need help making a standalone exe

DOH! I forgot to hit make first... i was just using standard rebuild...
God I feel like an idiot :(
news:3fafeb50$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>I have unchecked "Build with Runtime Packages" under Project
>Options->Packages, as well as "Use Dynamic RTL" in Project
>Options->Linker. I thought that this was how I did this in the past

That is the correct way to go.

>but it is not working now.

Did you do a full rebuild? Are you using any ActiveX or Database controls?

Gambit

{smallsort}

Re:Need help making a standalone exe

I can't seem to create a stand-alone exe either!...
My application statically links a DLL. I have "Build with Runtime
Packages" unchecked and "Use Dynamic RTL" checked. However, the DLLs do
not seem to get built into the app - ie when I remove the DLLs, it
complains that they are missing?
I've done a full rebuild and I'm not using ActiveX or any database
components.
What am I doing wrong?! I'm using BCB6? Thanks for any help.
Prem.

"Prem" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
My application statically links a DLL.
You can't link external DLLs into the app directly. DLLs have to remain
external, that is how DLLs work. The Project Options in question only apply
to compiling your own project code as standalone, not for linking in any
external dependancy files the project uses (unless those files are
specifically meant for staic linking, such as resource files and static
libraries). Now, if the DLLs have static library versions of themselves
available, then you can link those into the exe instead and not use the DLLs
at all. But general, that would defeat the whole purpose of using DLLs in
the first place. Not to mention that unless you are writing your own DLLs,
you probably will not have any static libraries available for the DLLs.
I have "Use Dynamic RTL" checked.
You need to *uncheck* that option instead.
Gambit