Help files

   Hello,

   I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on the easiest and fastest
way to integrate a help system with a BCB app.  As in what tools offer
the best bang for my buck!

Thanks in advance,

Mike Lavender

Re:Help files

Mike Lavender wrote:
>    I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on the easiest and fastest
> way to integrate a help system with a BCB app.  As in what tools offer
> the best bang for my buck!

Hi Mike.
I wrote Helper, a freeware front-end for the HCW, which eases a lot the
task of creating help files. It's the tool I use in my development.
The help topics are kept in a database and all help features (windows,
context info, sequences, etc.) are easily available. The program
includes a function to scan project files (both mak and bpr), retrieve
form files names and fetch help context properties stored in them. It
requires the BDE and Microsoft's Help Compiler workshop, which are
available with BCB anyway.
It's available at Torry's or my department's server:
http://www.torry.ru/tools/thelp/helper.zip
or
ftp://linux.ims.uerj.br/pub/kenneth/helper.zip
I don't know about the "bang" part, but as far as bucks are concerned,
the price is hard to beat. :)
Ken
--
http://usuarios.uninet.com.br/~kcamargo
"I haven't really been myself lately"

Re:Help files

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 20:34:26 -0300, "Kenneth R. de Camargo Jr."

<kcamargo@invert_order.br.com.unisys> wrote:

[snip]

>Hi Mike.
>I wrote Helper, a freeware front-end for the HCW, which eases a lot the
>task of creating help files. It's the tool I use in my development.

[snip]

>http://www.torry.ru/tools/thelp/helper.zip
>or
>ftp://linux.ims.uerj.br/pub/kenneth/helper.zip
>I don't know about the "bang" part, but as far as bucks are concerned,
>the price is hard to beat. :)
>Ken

Hi Ken.  I'm downloading your utility and will check it out.  I'm
wondering though, since you put some effort into this area,
if you think the wave of the future(meaning it may last for at
least 6 months in this business) isn't html with the platform
independence going for it?  Everyone has a browser so it
would seem like a good way(unless you hate html I guess)
and I'm just curious what you think on the issue.

thanks

Mike

--

"Genius gives birth, talent delivers."

           -- Jack Kerouac

(Remove NOSPAM, if present, to reply via email)

Re:Help files

Hi Mike,

Michael Kelly wrote:
> Hi Ken.  I'm downloading your utility and will check it out.  I'm
> wondering though, since you put some effort into this area,
> if you think the wave of the future(meaning it may last for at
> least 6 months in this business) isn't html with the platform
> independence going for it?  Everyone has a browser so it
> would seem like a good way(unless you hate html I guess)
> and I'm just curious what you think on the issue.

I kinda dislike html help, really. But at least one of my friends -
Rodolfo Raya - has been using my app to generate rtf files which he then
uses to create html help.
As for portability, right now this is not an issue with BCB, since it's
available only on the Wintel platform.
Maybe if Borland/Inprise goes html on the next iteration of BCB I'll
change my mind.
Ken
--

Kenneth R. de Camargo Jr. wrote in message
<37E96B55.1F1507C6@invert_order.br.com.unisys>...

>I kinda dislike html help, really. But at least one of my friends -
>Rodolfo Raya - has been using my app to generate rtf files which he then
>uses to create html help.

I take the whole project as generated by helper and import it from HTML Help
Workshop. Automagically, HTML Help is generated without touching anything.

>As for portability, right now this is not an issue with BCB, since it's
>available only on the Wintel platform.

The help files generated with Helper can be used with other development
tools too.

>Maybe if Borland/Inprise goes html on the next iteration of BCB I'll
>change my mind.

Won't be necesary. Keep using Helper to create the basic stuff. Use HTML
Help Workshop to change the format. Doing this you have two versions of your
help file working only once.

HTML Help Workshop is free too, so nothing beats the price of this
combination.

Rodolfo

 MAXPROGRAMS
 Member of IBM Solution Developer Program
 Microsoft MSDN ISV Program Member
 mxprg...@cpsarg.com
 http://www.maxprograms.com

Re:Help files

"Rodolfo M. Raya" wrote:
> The help files generated with Helper can be used with other development
> tools too.

What I meant is that portability isn't a concern right now for people
developing primarily in BCB.

> HTML Help Workshop is free too, so nothing beats the price of this
> combination.

I like the sound of that. :)
Ken
--