Problem with c++ builder's linker (BCB 2007)

2007-12-20 05:18:57 PM
cppbuilder57
Hi
I'm evaluating c++ builder 2007 and i'm trying to build a bcb6 project.
At link time i have the following error "ilink32 not enough memory".
This sounds like the 128Mo limitation of bcb6 when linking big libraries.
Is there any way to cope with this in c++ builder 2007 ?
Thank you for your answers

Re:Problem with c++ builder's linker (BCB 2007)

I don't know C++Builder 2007, but I think it's the same story as with
BDS2006:
create a new project in C++Builder 2007 and join all your sources into it.
Build and be more lucky :-)
Borl... CodeGear wasn't able to create a fully functional migration from
BCB6 to higher versions :-(
HTH
-Hans-Arno
"E B" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Hi

I'm evaluating c++ builder 2007 and i'm trying to build a bcb6 project.
At link time i have the following error "ilink32 not enough memory". This
sounds like the 128Mo limitation of bcb6 when linking big libraries.

Is there any way to cope with this in c++ builder 2007 ?

Thank you for your answers

Re:Problem with c++ builder's linker (BCB 2007)

Linker is a sort of ugly red-headed stepchild - not given proper care and
avoided by all.
The last properly working linker was in C++Builder 5. Since BDS2006, it is
{*word*99} with many problems including the infamous "Fatal. Access violation.
screw you !" error. Many people, including myself, are complaining on it
since then (beginning 2006 !!!) but to no avail.
All complaints are being dismissed as "not reproducible" but nobody is
addressing the main problem : absence of any logs and self-diagnostics - so
nobody can tell which of the thousands of files processed causes any error
and problems can be happily swept under the rug.
I do not even understand how can such a {*word*99} be part of any distribution.
Good luck !
Pavel
"E B" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >píse v diskusním príspevku
Hi

I'm evaluating c++ builder 2007 and i'm trying to build a bcb6 project.
At link time i have the following error "ilink32 not enough memory". This
sounds like the 128Mo limitation of bcb6 when linking big libraries.

Is there any way to cope with this in c++ builder 2007 ?

Thank you for your answers

{smallsort}

Re:Problem with c++ builder's linker (BCB 2007)

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:31:01 +0100, "Pavel Sobek" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote:
The last properly working linker was in C++Builder 5. Since BDS2006, it is
actually, bcb5 linker was buggy as well...
screw you !" error. Many people, including myself, are complaining on it
since then (beginning 2006 !!!) but to no avail.
there's no point to complaint since imo they will never be able to
produce decent linker, instead use ulink and better spend your time on
compiler bugs
--
Vladimir Ulchenko aka vavan

Re:Problem with c++ builder's linker (BCB 2007)

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Pavel Sobek" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
All complaints are being dismissed as "not reproducible" but nobody is
addressing the main problem : absence of any logs and self-diagnostics - so
nobody can tell which of the thousands of files processed causes any error
and problems can be happily swept under the rug.
I understand that you are frustrated. If you could help me with some
test cases, I would would be very happy to get these problems sorted
out. We do have mutual NDA agreements which can protect any of your
proprietary code.
--
David Dean (CodeGear)
Lead C++ QA Engineer

Re:Problem with c++ builder's linker (BCB 2007)

vavan wrote:
instead use ulink
How to use external linker in RAD2007 IDE ?
--
Alex

On 23 Dec 2007 20:48:07 -0700, "AlexB" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
How to use external linker in RAD2007 IDE ?
I cannot answer since I don't have bcb2007, sorry
--
Vladimir Ulchenko aka vavan

Re:Problem with c++ builder's linker (BCB 2007)

How do I determine/find/correct the "Unsupported 16bit resource" in TEXT
.DFM file? More details below.
Thanks.
"David Dean [CodeGear]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I understand that you are frustrated. If you could help me with some
test cases,
I have returned to a build (bds2006 mind you) of one of our projects that
produced a bad executable in one path without any error or warning messages,
and a not as bad executable in another path.
I am working toward building an isolated linkset.
However...
Having performed two identical fetches from subversion of same revision,
excepting the destination directory tree, and...
Having built one dependent library in each fetched tree, then...
Having built the projects in their entirety via the IDE and project,
capturing the IDE generated response file, and copying the appropriate items
to appropriate .tmp files (to match the -GA items in the captured response
file)...
I try to be sure I could link it where it was originally generated by IDE
before I create the isolated set, but...
When I execute the link command "ilink32 @keep_resp" in either project tree,
I receive the following output:
Turbo Incremental Link 5.69 Copyright (c) 1997-2005 Borland
RLINK32: Unsupported 16bit resource in file
"U:\BUILDS\DAILY\TRUNK\AFIS\EST\FRN_
TRANSERVER\DEBUG_BUILD\TFFRNTRANSERVERMAIN.DFM"
Error: Unknown RLINK32 error
Comments/observations:
1)There is no file "...\FRN_TRANSERVER\DEBUG_BUILD\TFFRNTRANSERVERMAIN.DFM"
("DEBUG_BUILD" being key)
2)There IS a file "...\FRN_TRANSERVER\TFFRNTRANSERVERMAIN.DFM"
3)The response file contains (wraps pretty badly in my mail editor, hope its
legible):
-GA"U:\builds\daily\trunk\afis\est\frn_transerver\vfs560.tmp"="U:\builds\daily\trunk\afis\est\frn_transerver\TfFrnTranServerMain.dfm"
4)The paths in item 3 do not include DEBUG_BUILD
5)When the link is executed from the IDE (delete executable file, Ctrl-F9)
no error (or warning) is reported for the link such as shown above ("Error:
Unknown RLINK32 error") for the command line execution
6)This project was, I believe, created in its entirety in bds2006 (not
entirely confident of this) - what "Unsupported 16bit resource" could be
present?
7)The .dfm file in question is saved in TEXT form (but in the main project
directory, does not ever reach DEBUG_BUILD that I am aware of.)
8)I have verified that the one generated executable is still bad as
previously observed, and the other is not as bad, with the only differences
I am aware of being the paths in which the fetched trees are located.
("trunk" versus "qqq").

Re:Problem with c++ builder's linker (BCB 2007)

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 07:53:00 +0100, E B < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote:
is there any resource on the internet to download & install this linker
and to make it work within the BCB 6 environment ?
it was discussed many times before, search borland newsgroups archives
where to download ulink and how to use it with bcc32pch
--
Vladimir Ulchenko aka vavan

Re:Problem with c++ builder's linker (BCB 2007)

is it possible to find the C++ builder 5 linker on the internet ??
Meanwhile I have decided to not upgrade my BCB 6 and where are looking
for Microxxx C++ environment for those part of the project that have no
Forms

news:47673c43$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

wrote:

>The last properly working linker was in C++Builder 5. Since BDS2006, it is

actually, bcb5 linker was buggy as well...

>screw you !" error. Many people, including myself, are complaining on it
>since then (beginning 2006 !!!) but to no avail.

there's no point to complaint since imo they will never be able to
produce decent linker, instead use ulink and better spend your time on
compiler bugs

Re:Problem with c++ builder's linker (BCB 2007)

it's rather easy to reproduce just try to link several big static
libraries (which total size exceeds 120 Mo) to produce an executable and
you will systematically have 2 consecutive LME XXXX (don't remind the
numbers right now).
And please do not answer "compile some of the libraries in release mode"
because i need to have a full debug app. Any good development
environment should handle this.
In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,