No colors for TStaticText in BCB2007?

2008-02-07 06:56:24 PM
cppbuilder111
Hi Folks,
I have moved a project from BCB6 to BCB2007 (i.e., RadStudio 2007) and find
that TStaticText components have lost their background colours although the
property values are still there; in Design mode the values accept changes
but the component does not retain the colour (there is sometimes a brief
flash of the new colour then it returns to the colour of the thing the
component is placed on).
At run time all these things get the colour of their parent. I have not
tried setting the colour in code as these colours are static.
TIA. Derek

Re:No colors for TStaticText in BCB2007?

Maybe this is not the solution, but make sure their ParentColor property is
set to false? I have never used BCB6 but perhaps ParentColor was not
available in BCB6, and so importing a BCB6 project uses the default
ParentColor property (which is true -- altohugh it automatically changes to
false when you actually set the color in the object inspector).

Derek Harvey wrote:
Hi Folks,
I have moved a project from BCB6 to BCB2007 (i.e., RadStudio 2007) and find
that TStaticText components have lost their background colours although the
property values are still there; in Design mode the values accept changes
but the component does not retain the colour (there is sometimes a brief
flash of the new colour then it returns to the colour of the thing the
component is placed on).
Set the Transparent property to false.
Stewart

{smallsort}

"Jason Cipriani" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I have never used BCB6 but perhaps ParentColor was not available in BCB6
It was. The ParentColor property has been around for a long long time.
Gambit

Re:No colors for TStaticText in BCB2007?

Thanks for the hints, Jason, Stew and Remy.
Yes, ParentColor was in BCB6 and was correctly set to false where I had set
colours in TStaticText.
What was not around in BCB6 as far as I can find was Transparent (only in
this component?) and for some reason that seems to me to be utterly stupid
it had defaulted to true in BCB2007, thus GUARANTEEING that the look of the
program after migration will be DIFFERENT. I don't know whether this default
arises from MS or CodeGear but in the context of my project at least I can
see no possible use for the value true for this property if it nullifies
other settings. I would be quite interested to know of useful uses of the
value true for Transparent if anyone can think of any; it must have been
invented for some purpose, I suppose.
IMHO it should also change automatically to false if a colour is set.

"Jason Cipriani" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:47aae87a$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>I have never used BCB6 but perhaps ParentColor was not available in BCB6

It was. The ParentColor property has been around for a long long time.

Gambit

Re:No colors for TStaticText in BCB2007?

"Derek Harvey" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
What was not around in BCB6 as far as I can find was Transparent (only in
this component?) and for some reason that seems to me to be utterly stupid
it had defaulted to true in BCB2007, thus GUARANTEEING that the look of
the program after migration will be DIFFERENT.
I think the fact that it guarantees imported projects will look wrong
classifies it as a minor bug. You could file a QC report for this (Tools ->
Quality Central or through the web site at qc.codegear.com).
IMHO it should also change automatically to false if a colour is set.
That seems very reasonable. You can file QC reports for enhancement requests
to. I can tell you that the people at CodeGear actually do read them.
Jason

Re:No colors for TStaticText in BCB2007?

"Jason Cipriani" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I think the fact that it guarantees imported projects will look wrong
classifies it as a minor bug. You could file a QC report for this
(Tools ->Quality Central or through the web site at qc.codegear.com).
It's already there!
Report No: 54249 Status: Reported
Problem with 'Transparent' property when migrating
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
Stewart

Re:No colors for TStaticText in BCB2007?

That's good. I was sure someone must have noticed it!. I will report it
again sometime when I am in Rad and add some votes.
Derek
news:47ad66fe$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...