OpenMP in Builder

2006-12-15 07:09:26 PM
cppbuilder89
When will this change (look at the compiler support section)...
members.gamedev.net/Rivorus/surge/html/surge_act/setting_up_your_compiler.html
I need to start speeding up my apps using SMP type work distribution....
will Borland have a solution for SMP soon in C++?
The free lunch is over. CPU speeds are not going up.
so it is really up to US to split our 1,000,000 loop
operations into tow 500,000 loops operating in tow
threads or whatever takes place in OpenMP..
ARGH!!!!

Re:OpenMP in Builder

The page looks as if it was created specifically to shame Borland into
complying ;-)
- Clayton

Re:OpenMP in Builder

The thing is in the past, when uncle Bill came out with a new O/S
or a new O/S feature, Borland had to play catch up in implementing
w.r.t MS Visual C++ / Visual Studio.
Now we are dealing with industry issues namely...
1. Open source compilation e.g. There is very little support
for Win32 ports of certain open source projects to compile
with BCC32. e.g. MySql
2. SMP - Multiple processing, there are numerous libraries
to support SMP but not in Borland (Case in point).
Now in all fairness to Borland, it is quite possible
to do SMP with BCB, just it will be a little (or much) tricky
depending on who you talk to. I can do it without OpenMP.
Just that it will take me a little (or a lot) longer.
Clayton Arends wrote:
The page looks as if it was created specifically to shame Borland into
complying ;-)

- Clayton

{smallsort}