Re: Anyone Have the Guts?

2004-06-17 02:04:18 AM
cppbuilder102
William Meyer wrote:
Of course, but still, TeamB comments may carry greater weight, for a
number of reasons. Or not.
You're right, we can't know for sure. The first hypothesis does seem
more logical, though.
I don't know who makes the final call on product planning.
I have no clue either. I do know that TeamB members are heard by
someone inside Borland (or the whole point of having a TeamB would be a
bit ridiculous). I think it is also reasonable to assume that there are
some connections, albeit indirect, between that someone and whoever
calls the shots on product planning.
And TeamB folk in turn hear us. At least some of them listen to some of
us. Ergo...
--
Ken
planeta.terra.com.br/educacao/kencamargo/

Re:Re: Anyone Have the Guts?

Chris Uzdavinis (TeamB) wrote:
FWIW, we are trying to raise awareness of the problem(s) their silence
is causing. We're hoping they'll listen to us, but who really knows?
We appreciate that. We don't know the outcome of your pressure, but I
am pretty sure of what the outcome would be *without* it. :)
--
Ken
planeta.terra.com.br/educacao/kencamargo/
* this is not a sig *

Re:Re: Anyone Have the Guts?

After much cogitation, XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...

I know TeamB lobbies as heavily as they can, and it's appreciated here.
DevRel names are well known, but few of us have any idea who makes the
final call on product planning.

TeamB is one fo the reasons I am trying to hang onto Borland. I like
their products themselves and I appreciate what TeamB does.

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Anyone Have the Guts?

Kenneth de Camargo wrote:
They are, however, extremely relevant by any other criterion
you can come up with. And if they are here, and see what people write,
and are convinced by the ongoing arguments to take it up with Borland,
then the issue of statistical significance is not much important
anymore.
Just for the record (and I'm beginning to sound like a broken one <g>)
every member of TeamB responsible for BCB has been complaining to
Borland as much on their own account as anyone else'. Never forget that
although we are TeamB we are also BCB users. If you do a Google of
these groups you will find many of my comments disparaging the BCB
debacle.
As regards our influence on Borland..that's tricky but we are hand
picked. Borland do listen to us but ultimately it's their company and
their decision.
--
Andrue Cope [TeamB]
[Bicester, Uk]

Re:Re: Anyone Have the Guts?

Andrue Cope [TeamB] wrote:
As regards our influence on Borland..that's tricky but we are hand
picked. Borland do listen to us but ultimately it's their company and
their decision.
Mass resignation?
Would Borland even notice if you announced it here ;)
--
Lester Caine
-----------------------------

Re:Re: Anyone Have the Guts?

Andrue Cope [TeamB] wrote:
Just for the record (and I'm beginning to sound like a broken one <g>)
every member of TeamB responsible for BCB has been complaining to
Borland as much on their own account as anyone else'. Never forget
that although we are TeamB we are also BCB users. If you do a Google
of these groups you will find many of my comments disparaging the BCB
debacle.
I don't doubt that. I was just trying to phase out the recurring
argument that since ng users are not a "statistically significant
sample" (which they indeed are not) there's no use in voicing our
grievances here.
As regards our influence on Borland..that's tricky but we are hand
picked. Borland do listen to us but ultimately it's their company and
their decision.
Think of it this way: we're trying to give you more ammunition. :)
--

On 17-Jun-04, Andrue Cope [TeamB] said:
Just for the record (and I'm beginning to sound like a broken one <g>)
every member of TeamB responsible for BCB has been complaining to
Borland as much on their own account as anyone else'. Never forget
that although we are TeamB we are also BCB users.
Very well said, and it's a reminder that seems to be needed
periodically.
--
Bill
--------

Re:Re: Anyone Have the Guts?

2) Do you think the Delphi newsgroups would be so different if Borland
announced, after Delphi 6, that they no longer intend on continuing VCL
in the Delphi line up?
I think most Delphi users are too blissfully ignorant to realize that
that is exactly what Borland has stated, without admitting it. Borland
has picked out this wonderful upgrade path for Delphi users to move
their projects over to bytecode garbage collection applications. There
is no upgrade path for Performance Delphi truly compiled applications.
Borland does not want to create C++/Delphi compilers anymore.

Re:Re: Anyone Have the Guts?

Mike Vance < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:MPG.1b3b5ca8c5396987989697
@forums.borland.com:
<SNIP>
Borland does not want to create C++/Delphi compilers anymore.

FWIW,
Writing good C/C++ compilers is a huge time/resoure sink for not much
gain these days; with Intel, Microsoft, and GCC being available for free
(or almost so), it's hard to differentiate your compiler from everyone
else's. The test used to be conformance to the standard, or compile
speed, but anymore even GCC is fast enough for most people. And if you
need to wring every erg of performance out of your code, you use Intel's
optimizing compiler.
Borland's main problem is no so much in the compiler itself (although it
does have problems), but in the toolchain and build environment: the
linker is abominable, the make tool is hella old and full of bugs (and
uses a bizarre makefile syntax), and so on. And then there's the problem
of the VCL extensions (and support for the .NET runtime, these days).
It'll be interesting to see how the next bcc32 stacks up to Microsofts'
compiler in terms of conformance and performance. That's *if* it ever
sees the light of day....
mr_organic