Re: BorCon C++ Anticipation... making me wait.

2004-09-23 12:22:49 AM
cppbuilder7
"Andrue Cope [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Tamas Demjen wrote:

>First, the de{*word*81} should work. Currently it only works with a few
>basic types (int, double), and even that doesn't always works.

Huh? Every version of the de{*word*81} I've used has supported most types
including user defined classes and enums. The only things it seems to
get confused about sometimes are templates of templates.
I think the desire is for special handling for STL types such that you
don't see list node pointers and internal data, but instead have a
nice view of the elements without having to walk down a chain of
pointers to see everything.
STL containers do work in the de{*word*81} but you see the internal
implementation details, which may hide the real data you're interested
in. (This is especially problematic when a base pointer is stored,
and the real type is a derived class... you only see the base part of
that data in the de{*word*81} unless you downcast.)
--
Chris (TeamB);

Re:Re: BorCon C++ Anticipation... making me wait.

I think the desire is for special handling for STL types such that you
don't see list node pointers and internal data, but instead have a
nice view of the elements without having to walk down a chain of
pointers to see everything.
That would be nice, but it would be even more important to be able to
watch data members of objects stored in smart pointers (std::auto_ptr,
boost::scoped_ptr, boost::shared_ptr).
struct S { int a, b; };
auto_ptr<S>s(new S);
s->a;
When the cursor is above "a", tooltip evaluation would be nice, as well
as a watch expression of "s->a". I know, this requires that the de{*word*81}
recognizes operator->and/or operator* inside the template, and resolves
the smart pointer automatically.
The same with iterators, and everything that can be resolved via
operator*. That would be a great de{*word*81} feature.
Tom

Re:Re: BorCon C++ Anticipation... making me wait.

Tamas Demjen < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
[...]

struct S { int a, b; };
auto_ptr<S>s(new S);
s->a;

When the cursor is above "a", tooltip evaluation would be nice, as well
as a watch expression of "s->a". I know, this requires that the de{*word*81}
recognizes operator->and/or operator* inside the template, and resolves
the smart pointer automatically.

The same with iterators, and everything that can be resolved via
operator*. That would be a great de{*word*81} feature.
I am not sure. For example, see what happens
if you dereference an input iterator.
Tom
Schobi
--