Re: Size difference between a release version and debug version

2006-12-03 02:38:33 PM
cppbuilder6
Only partially true, because not all great programs require the
latest/greatest capabilities. I think the goal to shoot for is a
new/modified compiler that does have all the latest/greatest capabilities
and great optimization, and the goal NOT to shoot for is making a compiler
better than the VS C++ compiler.
Too little-too late, IMO.
C++Builder would have to provide a mixxed-mode compiler and
64-Bit support to sway many users away from Visual C++.
It's a bit redundant to say that.
Contrary to popular beliefs, when customers evaluate products, they
usually do more than one at a time. The best candidate wins the
license[s]. Whether you think so, or not. The goal in this business
is to provide the best developer experience in comparison to your
competitors. To do this, CodeGear has to be "better" than Visual
C++. If that isn't the goal, then Borland C++ use "in the mainstream"
will continue to be miniscule.
- Nate.

Re:Re: Size difference between a release version and debug version

geikelite < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
[...] I think the goal to shoot for is a
new/modified compiler that does have all the latest/greatest capabilities
and great optimization, and the goal NOT to shoot for is making a compiler
better than the VS C++ compiler.
What's the difference?
Schobi
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers dot org

Re:Re: Size difference between a release version and debug version

Duane Hebert wrote:
of a lame example of what I mean but...

// create a char* ptr and put something in it
delete ptr;
cout << ptr;
Chances are, you'll see what was there before.
It would be nice to get the error on the cout call.

I think that CG will catch this as an 'access in invalid memory' error.
At least that's what my memory tells me :)
.a

{smallsort}

"Alex Bakaev [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Duane Hebert wrote:
of a lame example of what I mean but...

>// create a char* ptr and put something in it
>delete ptr;
>cout << ptr;
>Chances are, you'll see what was there before.
>It would be nice to get the error on the cout call.

I think that CG will catch this as an 'access in invalid memory' error. At
least that's what my memory tells me :)
Possibly. Your memory may be better than mine <g>

Duane Hebert wrote:
Possibly. Your memory may be better than mine <g>

It's registered DDR2 :)

Re:Re: Size difference between a release version and debug version

Registered - your memory has a green card? <g>
. Ed
news:4574d85a$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Ed Mulroy wrote:
Registered - your memory has a green card? <g>

. Ed

No, but I have to check-in with someone every so often :)
.a