Migrate project from BCB 1 to BCB 4?

I have an application written in BCB 1 Professional.  I am considering
buying BCB 4 Professional and migrating the app.

I need to know how difficult this will be.  Is it as simple as loading
the makefile and rebuilding?  If not, what else is involved.

The application only uses the standard and database components (TTable,
TQuery, TDataset, and all the TDB* controls).  I have no custom-written
controls, and I don't use any of the other fancy stuff like the internet
components.

So, how much work will it entail to port it over?

Thanks,
        Joe

Re:Migrate project from BCB 1 to BCB 4?

: Joseph Martinez <jmart...@wco.com> wrote:

>I need to know how difficult this will be.  Is it as simple as loading
>the makefile and rebuilding?  If not, what else is involved.

It is supposed to work this way, though in my opinion it is perhaps
"easier" to just discard of that project file and build the project
anew from within BCB4.

This should only cost you five to ten minutes, but definitely takes
care of any very hard to track down problems that might arise during
upgrading.

This is a two-generation step from BCB1 to BCB4 and I just don't know
how well this can possibly be.

>The application only uses the standard and database components (TTable,
>TQuery, TDataset, and all the TDB* controls).  I have no custom-written
>controls, and I don't use any of the other fancy stuff like the internet
>components.

>So, how much work will it entail to port it over?

After you have a complete project you will still have to pay attention
to changes in the ANSI C++ standard; these changes will have to be
made anyway at some stage.

If I recall correctly, there were some structural changes database
changes from VCL 2.0 (which BCB1 effectively uses) to VCL 3.0/3.5 as
used by Delphi 3/BCB3. There was an added layer for better
abstraction, but since I barely use databases you have hit a very weak
spot of mine here. The people in the .database group should be much
more knowledgeable (and helpful <g>) in this respect.

Usually everything should recompile as-is, but you might have to add
the odd header file. And there might be an added parameter to some
TField method.

Don't shoot me if I am wrong, but switching to BCB4 should take you at
most a day, probably less, assuming that you will be familiar with the
new IDE when you make the step.

--
Stefan Hoffmeister      http://www.econos.de/
Due to time constraints I cannot give free face-to-face advice.