include-Helpfile

2004-04-07 04:13:07 PM
cppbuilder69
Hi,
I wrote a *.hlp helpfile and i wanna include (show) it in my Project.
How do I do it?
I tried:
void __fastcall TMain_Frm::BuMaSoHilfe1Click(TObject *Sender)
{
Application->HelpFile= "HELPde.HLP";
}
-
But didn't work...

Re:include-Helpfile

"Ron Eggler" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I tried:
<snip>
But didn't work...
Just saying "it doesn't work" says nothing at all about the actual problem
you are experiencing. Please provide more details. What exactly are you
trying to accomplish, and what exactly is not working correctly for you?
Gambit

Re:include-Helpfile

nothing happend, no help-window was showed... :)
now i tried:
#define START IDH_Einfuehrung // Topic-ID
Application->HelpFile= "HELPde.HLP";
Application->HelpContext(START);
and the compiler told:
undefined symbol 'IDH_Einfuehrung'
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>I tried:
<snip>
>But didn't work...

Just saying "it doesn't work" says nothing at all about the actual
problem you are experiencing. Please provide more details. What
exactly are you trying to accomplish, and what exactly is not working
correctly for you?

Gambit

{smallsort}

Re:include-Helpfile

It needs a 'number' for a context ID not a define.
So you need to #define IDH_Einfuehrung 1234 or whatever the context ID is in
your help file, or include an include file that defines all the context IDs.
Also, it's worth making sure that the help file has an absolute path
relative to the application directory. This is because users can change the
start directory for an application and some apps I know can't find the help
file if they do so.
I use:
Application->HelpFile = ExtractFilePath(Application->ExeName)+"HELPde.HLP";
and this will always work.
--
Rgds Pete
=================================
"Ron Eggler" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
nothing happend, no help-window was showed... :)
now i tried:

#define START IDH_Einfuehrung // Topic-ID

Application->HelpFile= "HELPde.HLP";
Application->HelpContext(START);

and the compiler told:
undefined symbol 'IDH_Einfuehrung'

Re:include-Helpfile

okay, did it like this:
#define IDH_Einfuehrung 10
Application->HelpFile = ExtractFilePath(Application->ExeName)+"HELPde.HLP";
Application->HelpContext(IDH_Einfuehrung);
and the Application tells me, the theme wouldn't exist.... :( why?
the headerfile, that was putted out is:
#define IDH_Einfuehrung 10
#define IDH_MSIA 20
#define IDH_Initialisierung 30
#define IDH_NetScan 40
#define IDH_Telegramm 50
#define IDH_PKW 60
#define IDH_PZD 70
#define IDH_ZSW 80
#define IDH_Identnummer 90
#define IDH_Register 100
#define IDH_Position 110
#define IDH_Parameter 120

news:c50nij$2oafvr$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>nothing happend, no help-window was showed... :)
>now i tried:
>
>#define START IDH_Einfuehrung // Topic-ID
>
>Application->HelpFile= "HELPde.HLP";
>Application->HelpContext(START);
>

>and the compiler told:
>undefined symbol 'IDH_Einfuehrung'

Re:include-Helpfile

The helpfile needs to have context IDs in a table.
Open the help project in HCW and look in the Map dialog. This maps topics to
context IDs.
Note that context IDs are used for 'Tooltip help' and not for normal help.
This is provided by topic IDs and is a string passed to the Help application
NOT a number.
Help authoring applications such as GenHelp allow context IDs and Topics to
be created easily and simply without the pain associated with RTF. I know,
as I used to use RTF.
--
Rgds Pete
=================================

www.rideon.ch

Pete Fraser wrote:
The helpfile needs to have context IDs in a table.
Open the help project in HCW and look in the Map dialog. This maps
topics to context IDs.
Note that context IDs are used for 'Tooltip help' and not for normal
help. This is provided by topic IDs and is a string passed to the
Help application NOT a number.
Help authoring applications such as GenHelp allow context IDs and
Topics to be created easily and simply without the pain associated
with RTF. I know, as I used to use RTF.
Okay, but what do I have to do now, how do I get the IDs for "normal" help?
:(
Please help!
Thank you very much!

"Ron Eggler" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:40750da6$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>okay, did it like this:
>
>#define IDH_Einfuehrung 10
>
>Application->HelpFile =
>ExtractFilePath(Application->ExeName)+"HELPde.HLP";
>Application->HelpContext(IDH_Einfuehrung);
>
>and the Application tells me, the theme wouldn't exist.... :( why?
>the headerfile, that was putted out is:
>
>#define IDH_Einfuehrung 10
>#define IDH_MSIA 20
>#define IDH_Initialisierung 30
>#define IDH_NetScan 40
>#define IDH_Telegramm 50
>#define IDH_PKW 60
>#define IDH_PZD 70
>#define IDH_ZSW 80
>#define IDH_Identnummer 90
>#define IDH_Register 100
>#define IDH_Position 110
>#define IDH_Parameter 120
>

>--
>roN
>www.rideon.ch
>
>Pete Fraser wrote:
>>It needs a 'number' for a context ID not a define.
>>So you need to #define IDH_Einfuehrung 1234 or whatever the context
>>ID is in your help file, or include an include file that defines all
>>the context IDs.
>>
>>Also, it's worth making sure that the help file has an absolute path
>>relative to the application directory. This is because users can
>>change the start directory for an application and some apps I know
>>can't find the help file if they do so.
>>I use:
>>Application->HelpFile =
>>ExtractFilePath(Application->ExeName)+"HELPde.HLP"; and this will
>>always work.
>>
>>"Ron Eggler" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>>news:c50nij$2oafvr$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>>nothing happend, no help-window was showed... :)
>>>now i tried:
>>>
>>>#define START IDH_Einfuehrung // Topic-ID
>>>
>>>Application->HelpFile= "HELPde.HLP";
>>>Application->HelpContext(START);
>>>

>>>and the compiler told:
>>>undefined symbol 'IDH_Einfuehrung'

Re:include-Helpfile

Try using HelpJump rather than HelpContext - this uses a string which is the
TopicID from your help file - you do have TopicIDs don't you? I would
certainly suggest you look at help authoring applications, they make this
job much easier and there are several free ones.
Help Scribble, Help and Manual, GenHelp, to name but three (and I wrote
GenHelp so I'm biased on that- but the demo is not time limited)
--
Rgds Pete
=================================

Pete Fraser wrote:
Try using HelpJump rather than HelpContext - this uses a string which
is the TopicID from your help file - you do have TopicIDs don't you?
I would certainly suggest you look at help authoring applications,
they make this job much easier and there are several free ones.
Help Scribble, Help and Manual, GenHelp, to name but three (and I
wrote GenHelp so I'm biased on that- but the demo is not time limited)
erm, I did my help-file with TShelp. how should i import it to genhelp now
to see the topicID?
I now changed HelpContext to HelpJump and the help gets visible but i still
have to click-away an error-msg that shows me: the theme wouldn't exist....
:( why that?

Re:include-Helpfile

Sorry, I don't know about TsHelp - do you have a URL for it?
Most Help Authoring apps. have some way of specifying a TopicID - ask the
app author if you can't find it
Sorry, Pete